News Cars-Themed Attractions at Magic Kingdom

Dizknee_Phreek

Cars and racing in the wilderness is very much equivalent to how we view the frontier today, as a place where nature and freedom coexist.
Cars and racing isn't how I view the frontier. When I think of frontier, I think of wide open spaces and land waiting to be hiked and explored. Likewise when I think of national parks, I don't think about all terrain vehicles racing through them. I think about the peacefulness of nature, animals being able to exist in their natural habitats without worrying that humans will tear it all down for a neighborhood. I think about camping and horseback riding and discovering old cabins left by ancient settlers.
Point is, racing and cars may be how YOU view the frontier today. But that's not how a collective "WE" view the frontier.

Quietmouse

I’m a millennial. The connection to the island itself is only partial, kinda the same as toontown (still can’t believe they evicted Mickey from his own house! Haha).

I like seeing the mills turning and the formerly burning cabin, and when I go over I enjoy the AA Chickens.

But the steamboat is part of the heart and soul of the park. That’s what many of us care about the most.

No I agree , it’s definitely a presence.

that said, there were photos floating around on twitter today and it showed literally less than 12 people lined up for the que to take the raft to Tom Sawyer island and the boat itself looked half empty with guests.

I also read on twitter of cast members who work in park operations that the island itself was a nightmare on a logistics level and they are happy disney listened to their complaints.

Also tweets about lack of ada compliance , and random guests swimming in the River and causing trouble.

It just sounds like there is a lot of moving parts going on, aside from the fact that it’s not necessarily a busy attraction, it just genuinely seems that cast members working these attractions had genuine complaints and issues with the actual day to day operation of the island and boat.

Also, not being ada compliant is a negative as well…but I’m sure that’s something that could have been done to stay compliant.

Dizknee_Phreek

I'm also going to throw a wild guess and assume these group of people are gen x and millennials who have even less of a connection with Tom Sawyer island versus the older generation.
I’m a millennial. The connection to the island itself is only partial, kinda the same as toontown (still can’t believe they evicted Mickey from his own house! Haha).

I like seeing the mills turning and the formerly burning cabin, and when I go over I enjoy the AA Chickens.

But the steamboat is part of the heart and soul of the park. That’s what many of us care about the most.
Also a millennial here. I started going to WDW at the age of 7. I was scared of anything with a drop (including Pirates) and I absolutely refused to go on Haunted Mansion after my first trip until I was in my teens. But Tom Sawyer Island was a must do for me and my sister every annual trip. We loved it! It didn't matter that I didn't really know the story or characters. It was just about running around and exploring and discovering. When was the last time I visited the island as an adult? I'm glad you asked. My husband and I checked out the island on our last trip to MK in Dec 2022. It was nice revisiting a place that holds such a special place in my heart. I of course had no idea it would be my last time there. I've made peace with the idea its time has come. Even though I'm sad that other kids won't have the opportunity to discover the island and all its hidden gems. I feel Disney could've done more to draw more people over there, even if just open Aunt Polly's and do limited edition treats or something. And unfortunately FP/LL eating away at people's time in the parks doesn't help anything.
But @TrainsOfDisney is right. The river and the steamboat are the real heart and soul of that area. To lose that is the real gut punch. Especially when Disney has given us the impression it would just be shortened all this time, not gutted completely.

TrainsOfDisney

that said, there were photos floating around on twitter today and it showed literally less than 12 people lined up for the que to take the raft to Tom Sawyer island and the boat itself looked half empty with guests.
I’m sure I can show you photos of less than 12 guests waiting for the friendship boat at Epcot too.
Also tweets about lack of ada compliance , and random guests swimming in the River and causing trouble.
Guests also get into the fountain in Paris and climb the pyramid in Mexico…..

Quietmouse

I’m sure I can show you photos of less than 12 guests waiting for the friendship boat at Epcot too.

I’m just the messenger.

I’m all for saving roa, as I think it’s definitely a special part of frontier land…but it does sound like there were underlying things going on as a whole.

mickEblu

Well said. For me I’d say in terms of level of importance to the park atmosphere I’d say it goes

1. River / Vista (which the island is a part of)
2. Steamboat
3. Island (as an attraction)

CoasterCowboy67

No I agree , it’s definitely a presence.

I also read on twitter of cast members who work in park operations that the island itself was a nightmare on a logistics level and they are happy disney listened to their complaints.

It just sounds like there is a lot of moving parts going on, aside from the fact that it’s not necessarily a busy attraction, it just genuinely seems that cast members working these attractions had genuine complaints and issues with the actual day to day operation of the island and boat.

Also, not being ada compliant is a negative as well…but I’m sure that’s something that could have been done to stay compliant.
All makes sense, and that’s with folks knowing ROA / TSI is leaving which will cause inflated awareness and usage of these spaces compared to the previous steady state. Or maybe people still don’t care. This isn’t the free friendship boat which is transport between hotels and parks; this is a large space within the paywall of the park

I too believe the river is a beautiful vista, but I don’t see how this Cars proposal won’t be either. A mountain with waterfalls and streams and paths could be quite beautiful too. We just don’t know yet as this is early concept art that is purposely noncommittal at this stage

Bocabear

How on earth does Cars fit into Frontierland....I mean seriously... It is tonally quite wrong....and truly belongs in DHS which desperately needs more attractions and expansion....WAYYYYYYY more than the Magic Kingdom does... MK needs to refresh and redo Tomorrowland and fill in the gaps before even thinking about moving CARS into the center of the park. That concept are will be whittled down too... We see it with all of their D23 cheer rally presentations.

Ayla

it’s honestly not so black and white as it seems. If you go on Reddit or even twitter there is a lot, and I mean a lot of people who are in great support of getting rid of RoA.

I’m also going to throw a wild guess and assume these group of people are gen x and millennials who have even less of a connection with Tom Sawyer island versus the older generation.

I think it also sometimes best to realize that change is inevitable, and all you control is your attitude towards the change, and hope for the best along the way.
Well, you know what they say about ASSuming. And Reddit and twitter have no connection to reality.

JD80

Also a millennial here. I started going to WDW at the age of 7. I was scared of anything with a drop (including Pirates) and I absolutely refused to go on Haunted Mansion after my first trip until I was in my teens. But Tom Sawyer Island was a must do for me and my sister every annual trip. We loved it! It didn't matter that I didn't really know the story or characters. It was just about running around and exploring and discovering. When was the last time I visited the island as an adult? I'm glad you asked. My husband and I checked out the island on our last trip to MK in Dec 2022. It was nice revisiting a place that holds such a special place in my heart. I of course had no idea it would be my last time there. I've made peace with the idea its time has come. Even though I'm sad that other kids won't have the opportunity to discover the island and all its hidden gems. I feel Disney could've done more to draw more people over there, even if just open Aunt Polly's and do limited edition treats or something. And unfortunately FP/LL eating away at people's time in the parks doesn't help anything.
But @TrainsOfDisney is right. The river and the steamboat are the real heart and soul of that area. To lose that is the real gut punch. Especially when Disney has given us the impression it would just be shortened all this time, not gutted completely.

Here's the issue, operationally, if Disney did something to make the island more popular the logistics of getting more people and crowd controlling that island would be a nightmare. Only way on or off is by a raft, it's hard to move people through the caves and fort. That island only works for low capacity just from a safety point of view.

JD80

These aren't good arguments though.

For example, while guests can climb the pyramid, the nuisance and the frequency of this happening is far more outweighed by the amount of people that utilize all the products and services that are inside.

JD80

All makes sense, and that’s with folks knowing ROA / TSI is leaving which will cause inflated awareness and usage of these spaces compared to the previous steady state. Or maybe people still don’t care. This isn’t the free friendship boat which is transport between hotels and parks; this is a large space within the paywall of the park

I too believe the river is a beautiful vista, but I don’t see how this Cars proposal won’t be either. A mountain with waterfalls and streams and paths could be quite beautiful too. We just don’t know yet as this is early concept art that is purposely noncommittal at this stage

This is a very good point. Many people are focusing on what is lost without (maybe) considering what we will gain. While I am very worried that they won't nail it, and what we will get is worse, I choose to be optimistic until shown otherwise.

CoasterCowboy67

How on earth does Cars fit into Frontierland....I mean seriously... It is tonally quite wrong....and truly belongs in DHS which desperately needs more attractions and expansion....WAYYYYYYY more than the Magic Kingdom does... MK needs to refresh and redo Tomorrowland and fill in the gaps before even thinking about moving CARS into the center of the park. That concept are will be whittled down too... We see it with all of their D23 cheer rally presentations.
Because it takes place in the Frontier, which Tiana barely does and Splash Mountain definitely didnt

Some people seem stuck that the theme is a time period and Disney made clear it is emphasizing the geography and environment

bmr1591

Well, you know what they say about ASSuming. And Reddit and twitter have no connection to reality.

Neither does this forum. We represent such a small portion of visitors to Disney that if we all stopped going, WDW wouldn’t notice a bit. Don’t invalidate people’s opinions just because you disagree with them because our little echo chamber here is tiny.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
It's true that an IP doesn't guarantee a ride's "success." But it can be an initial draw for people to try it out. And it can keep an IP alive so that it doesn't fall down the memory hole along with Bing Bong. And in doing so, it can keep a franchise going.

So, the main reason to use IP is monetizing synergy.

Just like Walt wanted...

Synergy Hotels Orig.png

CoasterCowboy67

Route 66 is not the "frontier". 😂
Exactly. A national park at the west is literally the opposite of the definition of The Frontier.
Route 66 runs through what is considered the American Frontier. Absolutely. That is the American West - California, New Mexico, Arizona, Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, etc. A national park in the American West is exactly emblematic of the Frontier — wild, unexplored mountains, deserts, forests, and plains far away from people’s “home base” of the 13 colonies (which includes Georgia / Song of the South, and thus why that is the literal opposite of the Frontier)

I’m worried people here think Frontier = the “country” which includes the South. That is so wrong. Maybe the Country Bears name is confusing them 😅

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom