News Cars-Themed Attractions at Magic Kingdom

October82

With the changing the theme of Frontierland from Wild West to American exploration, I think Cars will be able to fit.
How is the theme changing? Are people saying that it’s changing or are they demoing buildings to change the theme so Cars fits?

Theme isn’t backstory - it’s woven into the details and architecture of theme parks, mostly working through people’s understanding of cultural motifs.

You can’t just change it because you say so. You have to actually go in and physically change an environment.

Quietmouse

So the only way cars would fit into frontier land is if they reimagine frontier land to be more of a western mountain town.

Which I guess would not cost that much to update facades to make them slightly more modern.

Cars and racing in the wilderness is very much equivalent to how we view the frontier today, as a place where nature and freedom coexist.

JoeCamel

So the only way cars would fit into frontier land is if they reimagine frontier land to be more of a western mountain town.

Which I guess would not cost that much to update facades to make them slightly more modern.

Cars and racing in the wilderness is very much equivalent to how we view the frontier today, as a place where nature and freedom coexist.
Maybe they could have a shootin' place, can't be rural western without guns......

JD80

Telling that I don’t think highly of marketing MBAs?

I don’t.

(Although, to be fair, Josh D'Amaro has only worked as a marketer for most of his career. He doesn't actually have an MBA.)

Telling that you actually think marketing people came up with demoing ROA and that WDI and Ops had nothing to do with it.

CoasterCowboy67

No offense but why would they rebuild Frontierland? The current attractions like I said do fit their new narrative. The layout is now:

Small settler town on the edge of the deeper forest/mountains of the American Wilderness currently giving a venue to a ragtag group of bears celebrating a tour.

A bayou area with a Princess exploring the wilderness to find animals for her band.

A large mountainous/forested landscape that is being traversed by cars exploring a new area to race in far from home.

A deserty area where an old gold miner set up camp to find his riches.

Each of these highlights a unique part of the American Wilderness and a unique biome. From the tropics to the temperate to the arid. That's a connecting theme. Exploration throughout America. Nothing in current Frontierland goes against that mission.
Very well said. So many people here would rather not see this though. They’re stuck on another, decades old definition

TrainsOfDisney

Very well said. So many people here would rather not see this though. They’re stuck on another, decades old definition
I’d say both sides are stuck on their definition. Typical of the political world we live in. Traditionalists and Liberals (liberal in theme park design!) and some of us in the middle who would appreciate a compromise where everyone wins!! Ha

Earlie the Pearlie

Beg to differ. The park has less to do with California now than it ever has. They should just call it Disney’s Adventure. May make more sense
Thus the qualifier “or at least the 2012 version”. My point was that the IP in 2012 was largely a part of all-around higher quality attractions, many of which had to do with California. I never said that the park has more to do with California now than it has at literally any point in its past. And I’m sure Disney is considering that rename. Because the greatest thing on earth is parks with no discernible theme that literally anything can be dumped into without thought or care. Themes for themed parks are so 2000s.

Sorry for the snark. This fandom can be tough. This is all way off topic anyway.

Chef idea Mickey`=

It’s a stretch to fit Cars into Frontierland - it’s not a stretch at all for Under the Sea and Snow White - any Disney Princess or Fairytale story is a natural fit for Fantasyland.
Is there any other place in Magic Kingdom where this wouldn't be a stretch. Hollywood Studios has Pixar but yet they just don't want to do it there. Hollywood Studios also would benefit from having water and forestry.

CoasterCowboy67

I’d say both sides are stuck on their definition. Typical of the political world we live in. Traditionalists and Liberals (liberal in theme park design!) and some of us in the middle who would appreciate a compromise where everyone wins!! Ha
Disney isn’t bulldozing all of Frontierland or did I miss that? They’re building on much of what’s already there and adding a very related concept. That’s compromise, not a rewrite. But many traditionalists won’t accept even that.

As some have said; this proposed concept is actually more related than previous additions that grew to become legend status (Splash Mountain) that even traditionalists love (aka the ride about the South, which is in no way the West / Frontier)

TrainsOfDisney

Is there any other place in Magic Kingdom where this wouldn't be a stretch. Hollywood Studios has Pixar but yet they just don't want to do it there. Hollywood Studios also would benefit from having water and forestry.
The closest fit would be Tomorrowland where the speedway is. Actually if they did the mountain there they could mirror the Matterhorn in Disneyland a little bit visually -
That would be cool.

Actually….. I wonder if that was proposed… the snow caps do mimic the Matterhorn a bit. Hmmmmm

October82

Telling that you actually think marketing people came up with demoing ROA and that WDI and Ops had nothing to do with it.
Josh D'Amaro is both a career marketer and the person who ultimately makes - or more likely advocates - these decisions. Much of Disney's corporate leadership have marketing and consumer products backgrounds with few having creative ones.

From public comments WDI employees have made, it seems they are given some say in the choice of IP, but these decisions aren't made because creatives naturally arrive at them through a 'blue sky' process. They're the product of marketing and business priorities which creatives are charged with designing to.

Last edited:

October82

The closest fit would be Tomorrowland where the speedway is. Actually if they did the mountain there they could mirror the Matterhorn in Disneyland a little bit visually -
That would be cool.

Actually….. I wonder if that was proposed… the snow caps do mimic the Matterhorn a bit. Hmmmmm
The mountain is apparently from a Planes short, which would also fit much better on that side of the park.

Ultimately, the placement seems to be driven by the cost to mitigate the land issues in the areas available for expansion. This is simply the cheapest option, and it's left to WDI to do their best with the cost and IP constraints.

Quietmouse

it’s honestly not so black and white as it seems. If you go on Reddit or even twitter there is a lot, and I mean a lot of people who are in great support of getting rid of RoA.

I’m also going to throw a wild guess and assume these group of people are gen x and millennials who have even less of a connection with Tom Sawyer island versus the older generation.

I think it also sometimes best to realize that change is inevitable, and all you control is your attitude towards the change, and hope for the best along the way.

TrainsOfDisney

I’m also going to throw a wild guess and assume these group of people are gen x and millennials who have even less of a connection with Tom Sawyer island versus the older generation.
I’m a millennial. The connection to the island itself is only partial, kinda the same as toontown (still can’t believe they evicted Mickey from his own house! Haha).

I like seeing the mills turning and the formerly burning cabin, and when I go over I enjoy the AA Chickens.

But the steamboat is part of the heart and soul of the park. That’s what many of us care about the most.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom