News Cars-Themed Attractions at Magic Kingdom

Earlie the Pearlie

And you know the Orange Stinger is still there right... they just slapped Mickey's face on it and called it a day. Somehow though that "saved" it in the eyes of the fans.
Well, no. If they had, as you said, “just slapped Mickey’s face on it and called it a day”, then I’m sure people would still have problems with it (I’m envisioning the same sphere with Mickey ears added or something?). Instead, they lovingly crafted a tribute to classic boardwalk swing rides, complete with trim and murals and yes, Mickey Mouse, but in the form of an accent, a flavor, to the attraction. IP did not redeem the Orange Stinger. Good design redeemed the Orange Stinger, with Mickey Mouse as a bonus. (Which of course worked fabulously with the retooled turn-of-the-century vision for Paradise Pier 2.0, which is now pretty much gone.) The same goes for the rest of California Adventure, or at least the 2012 version. It might have more IP now, but it is also better designed. And correlation is not causation, before anyone tries to argue this that way. But I digress.

osian

I'm just amazed how the many, many parks around the world manage to survive with original attractions when Disney is unable to do so, apparently.

The IP mandate isn't the result of any rational decision, it's an ideological pursuit and may actually be part of causing a decline. [EDIT, for clarity, a decline in the quality of the offering, e.g cartoon and movie overload, all feels a bit "samey", de-theming of resorts, starting to feel like Universal, homogenisation of merchandise]

Last edited:

October82

Well, no. If they had, as you said, “just slapped Mickey’s face on it and called it a day”, then I’m sure people would still have problems with it (I’m envisioning the same sphere with Mickey ears added or something?). Instead, they lovingly crafted a tribute to classic boardwalk swing rides, complete with trim and murals and yes, Mickey Mouse, but in the form of an accent, a flavor, to the attraction. IP did not redeem the Orange Stinger. Good design redeemed the Orange Stinger, with Mickey Mouse as a bonus. (Which of course worked fabulously with the retooled turn-of-the-century vision for Paradise Pier 2.0, which is now pretty much gone.) The same goes for the rest of California Adventure, or at least the 2012 version. It might have more IP now, but it is also better designed. And correlation is not causation, before anyone tries to argue this that way. But I digress.
If only the Stinger had stuck around to become the Pixar Ball.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Charts like this don't answer (and can't) that.
a single chart isn't intended to explain an industry...

I'm suprised you didn't recognize the chart... it was made for a very specific message. To support the message Disney was pushing to support the idea of increased capital investment in the parks.. to specifically show that investment was leading to a multiplier in revenues. This is all from the deck when they pitched the big new investment.

And all of this is stuff filed with the SEC - not just hand wavy stuff... stuff shared with investors specifically.

JD80

So what is your opinion- that only IP should be built? And is that opinion only because you think Disney should do what’s best for the business?

Yes unless you can make a good business case for a brand new IP that you believe is worth thr cost of building it and maintaining it in the parks for a decade or two.

And yeah, I think Disney should do whats best for business. People like to point to the stock and criticise Disney for it yet want Disney to do things that go against better business practices.

Disney building bigger and better lands and attra tons leads to more.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I'm just amazed how the many, many parks around the world manage to survive with original attractions when Disney is unable to do so, apparently.

The IP mandate isn't the result of any rational decision, it's an ideological pursuit and may actually be part of causing a decline.
When you compare apples and oranges... you might not be shocked to find differences in them?

Disney is a conglomerate that spans many disciplines. You won't find many theme park operators around the world that are in that same situation. Different types of companies will have different motivations and their economics will differ too.

So it's kinda useless to say why should they be different...

JD80

Funny how information that contradicts this is a non-answer.

The franchise mandate at Walt Disney World hasn’t yielded better ROIs than the Nondescript Coaster Themed Like India or Whatever.

EPCOT attendance was up 20% in 2023 largely due to the addition of GOTG.

JD80

And yet when Epcot opened there wasnt any IP driven attractions and the park did well, as it was something new and unique. Also one of the IP to come out of that, Figment, is wildly popular today. IP or not, a good attraction is a good attraction. Marie

Figment is wildly popular? Are we basing that on popcorn bucket sales?

el_super

Instead, they lovingly crafted a tribute to classic boardwalk swing rides, complete with trim and murals and yes, Mickey Mouse, but in the form of an accent, a flavor, to the attraction.

Ok so just extend this logic a little bit: they are going to lovingly craft a tribute to the wilderness of the American west, and add Cars characters as a bit of flavor. Sure to be a home run!

October82

Ok so just extend this logic a little bit: they are going to lovingly craft a tribute to the wilderness of the American west, and add Cars characters as a bit of flavor. Sure to be a home run!
Carsland at DCA is basically that. What’s proposed for MK isn’t.

Execution matters - which was the point of the comment you’re referring to. The kind of detailing seen in Paradise Pier makes sense for the time period and place they were aiming to evoke. Cars in the old west doesn’t.

el_super

Carsland at DCA is basically that. What’s proposed for MK isn’t.

Execution matters - which was the point of the comment you’re referring to. The kind of detailing seen in Paradise Pier makes sense for the time period and place they were aiming to evoke. Cars in the old west doesn’t.

They changed the time period for Paradise Pier, so why not do the same for Frontierland?

JD80

Disney's 3+ billion dollars at the box office are all from existing IP. So much decline. Anyone want to guess what Incredibles 3 will bring in?

Stripes

Premium Member
This is what we call a 'junk chart' in my profession. Lots of choices (such as obscuring the y-axis) and picking specific percentage changes to make it look like revenue growth is way up. Including logos of specific IPs also makes it look like there's a causal relationship - good for PR but not good for understanding the business fundamentals.
Well, it’s not a measurement of revenue. It’s measuring the CAGR of their investments prior to the IP mandate versus after the IP mandate. 5% CAGR for investments between 2002 and 2012. And 14% CAGR between 2012 and 2022. Total inflation between those two time periods is almost identical.

Obviously there’s no proven cause and effect but that is a very clear correlation.

I’ll have to look into your revenue analysis later.

AidenRodriguez731

When they make an announcement to that effect, I trust you’ll let me know?

Until then, Cars doesn’t belong in Frontierland.
They literally did though? "Reimagined part of Frontierland" The new message for Frontierland is not about a specific period in time but about the place and the idea of exploring the American Wilderness + "Pioneering" your own path which even if you don't like it, is a theme that fits all of the attractions currently part of the new Frontierland.

October82

Well, it’s not a measurement of revenue. It’s measuring the CAGR of their investments prior to the IP mandate versus after the IP mandate. 5% CAGR for investments between 2002 and 2012. And 14% CAGR between 2012 and 2022. Total inflation between those two time periods is almost identical.

Obviously there’s no proven cause and effect but that is a very clear correlation.

I’ll have to look into your revenue analysis later.
The percentages are labeled CAGR, the graph appears to be revenue/income.

Providing the quantitative rate of change in percentage terms on an unlabeled graph is designed to be misleading. This sort of thing is a famous example - usually picking on Apple for doing this very publicly - of how to lie with a chart.

And yes, I checked the inflation adjusted revenue numbers. It’s not a complicated analysis and not one I would trust beyond an Internet forum post, but it’s interesting to me that Disney’s long term parks + resort revenues basically haven’t changed from their long term trend.

I actually expected to get the opposite answer - and I tried several ways of treating the data to get it - because Disney has done so much to increase per guest revenues.

It seems what those things have actually done is just changed how guests spend rather than how much they do. LL/upcharge events would have just shown up in higher ticket or hotel prices/etc. Not at all what I expected.

And not due to increasing use of IP. At least not in any way that would justify the framing of that junk chart.

October82

They literally did though? "Reimagined part of Frontierland" The new message for Frontierland is not about a specific period in time but about the place and the idea of exploring the American Wilderness + "Pioneering" your own path which even if you don't like it, is a theme that fits all of the attractions currently part of the new Frontierland.
Saying that on stage and investing in a rebuild of Frontierland are very different things.

They aren’t literally rebuilding Frontierland. They are quite content to leave Big Thunder next to Cars. That’s a problem for me as someone who actually thinks Cars makes for a great land - at California Adventure, on an expansion pad, or in another park.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom