News Cars-Themed Attractions at Magic Kingdom

MerlinTheGoat

I didn't say being an adult who visits Disney (in this context without children) is a bad thing or warranting an insult. It isn't, i'm one myself and there are tons of others here who are. Adults are the people who make and spend the money on Disney products, whether they have children or not. Walt Disney was also VERY explicit that he didn't want the parks to target children too heavily at the expense of adults. Adults were massively important to him and he felt that it was important to create experiences that appeal to them too (one of many reasons why he filled the Frontierland river with water and a riverboat and not googly eyed cartoon cars).

What i'm saying is that the term "Disney Adult" is used as an insult 99% of the time I see it. Google the term and you'll see in the results what I mean by this. There are actually more specific traits that it's supposed to describe (like the more strange and obsessive behavior among some adult fans regarding going overboard with the dress-up or acting weird and obnoxious in the parks), though it's often just broadly used to mock all adult childless Disney park goers.

If that message is sincere and not sarcastic mockery, i'll be shocked. It's absolutely giving that impression to a strong degree.

Last edited:

Moth

I'd be extremely surprised if they backed off of ROA and Tom Sawyer at this point, more Sawyer than ROA.

I can believe parts of ROA will be kept, but I do not believe Sawyer, even in a hypothetical "plan B" like what's being spun around right now.

If somehow Sawyer survives, it looks like I need to find a way into Archives...

Unless you've recently been told by your "sources" that these claims are not true, I'm not believing you.
I'd be extremely shocked and pleasantly surprised if it survived. I'm an advocate for the continued survival of Sawyer and ROA, I just cannot believe that until I see Cars open and it's still there, that it's surviving. I fully believe Disney has no issues turning that part of the park into a concrete block with some water features that'll break in a year.

This isn't even a "source told me this is fake" type deal, I genuinely think that low of Disney's treatment of WDW that I can fully believe they're gun-ho about scrapping the Riverboat, and draining the ROA and making it a vehicle to sell Lightning McQueen sippers and Mater popcorn buckets.

Last edited:
I'd be extremely surprised if they backed off of ROA and Tom Sawyer at this point, more Sawyer than ROA.

I can believe parts of ROA will be kept, but I do not believe Sawyer, even in a hypothetical "plan B" like what's being spun around right now.

If somehow Sawyer survives, it looks like I need to find a way into Archives...

I'd be extremely shocked and pleasantly surprised if it survived. I'm an advocate for the continued survival of Sawyer and ROA, I just cannot believe that until I see Cars open and it's still there, that it's surviving. I fully believe Disney has no issues during that part of the part into a concrete block with some water features that'll break in a year.

This isn't even a "source told me this is fake" type deal, I genuinely think that low of Disney's treatment of WDW that I can fully believe they're gun-ho about scrapping the Riverboat, and draining the ROA and making it a vehicle to sell Lightning McQueen sippers and Mater popcorn buckets.
If they really hate Mark Twain as much as people say they do, they could easily retheme/rename the Island to something else. They probably wouldn't even have to change anything apart from a few signs, and I can easily see them coming up with a name akin to "Folklore Island". (Shout-out to Park Lore for coming up with that name.) Also, they could easily fit Villains and Cars where the northern island is. They'd just have to scale them back a bit, which is ok with me if it means the survival of the bottom island and the Riverboat. Besides, this makes sense as I believe that Disney loves cutting costs, and they would be adding capacity instead of replacing existing capacity. As for the maintenance area, they could easily leave a sliver of the waterway along BTM, and make that the new maintenance area.
Here’s a map of how it could look:
Red: Walkway
Blue: River
Yellow: Cars
Purple: Villains

Attachments

• B99EF4FA-A683-4D64-9616-B15AC988FB13.jpeg
    B99EF4FA-A683-4D64-9616-B15AC988FB13.jpeg
    184.6 KB · Views: 51

Quietmouse

i find it hard to believe that Disney didn’t think there would be blowback, especially from die hard fans.

I highly doubt they are taking the negative criticism to heart only purely due to the fact, financially and promotionally- merchandise wise - it makes sense to get rid of the boat and the River.

I think best case scenario is they take the negative feedback and figure out how to save a portion of the River and figure out how to dock the boat and utilize it..

Advisable Joseph

What i'm saying is that the term "Disney Adult" is used as an insult
Some people do self-identify like this

And this gentleman was posting to a group called "Disney Nerds." He is likely self-deprecating, not insulting. You have to consider context.

BuzzedPotatoHead89

I’m sensing echoes of the Splash Mountain thread all over again. Queue the denial, cancellation conspiracies from supposed “insiders” claiming Disney’s doing an about-face.

…. Or it’s likely (unfortunately in my opinion, but if we’re being realistic) that Disney execs already know this isn’t popular with fans and have factored it in since they buried the announcement until after D23 and most likely their market research shows it will serve to be a long term net revenue gain.

Bill Murray Well Its Groundhog Day Again GIF

bwr827

Saw this tweet from Drew the Disney Dude. Does the mountain from Piston Peak National Park from the Planes franchise looks very similar to the one in the attraction concept art?

Plus the buildings from the Planes 2 concept art look similar to the attractions' buildings:
View attachment 811152
View attachment 811151

Wait… Drew only just realized this?

JD80

I surprised people don't realize that any sources for "change" is just all echo chamber. People are reporting rumors of rumors of speculation.

C'mon folks stop posting facebook nonsense and all that creepy doxxing of people facebook/linkedin profiles.

Bocabear

After the first Cars movie and the DCA version of Radiator Springs, a different location with a car part mountain is just dumb...why are we even in a location that was never part of the Cars films or franchise? Sounds like the SWGE plan...another unrecognizable location from a known film franchise set in a very specific location. All sounds like a better fit for DHS...

Gusey

After the first Cars movie and the DCA version of Radiator Springs, a different location with a car part mountain is just dumb...why are we even in a location that was never part of the Cars films or franchise? Sounds like the SWGE plan...another unrecognizable location from a known film franchise set in a very specific location. All sounds like a better fit for DHS...
I suppose that they've opting for Piston Peak National Park from Planes 2 as its set in the same universe as the Cars franchise, and the only other locations from the Cars franchise are race tracks and Cars versions of famous cities

bwr827

“We want originality…except when it involves IP…then please stick to the script!”

bwr827

I suppose that they've opting for Piston Peak National Park from Planes 2 as its set in the same universe as the Cars franchise, and the only other locations from the Cars franchise are race tracks and Cars versions of famous cities
They might even do a Planes spinner for the secondary kid-focused attraction.

Bocabear

The DCA Radiator Springs is pretty amazing... they got everything right...along with a location that was familiar and a place you wanted to visit. I never saw planes...so I have no idea about Piston Peak... it doesn't feel familiar... doesn't look as vast and impressive as Radiator Springs... And with IP I don't know that "originality" is a better factor when trying to use a known franchise...that is the point of using IP... I would love complete originality not attached to IP... if it is IP, then it should at least evoke the locations from the source material... Like a Snow White ride set in Texas Hill Country or Beauty and The Beast set in Fiji...

DisneyHead123

If that message is sincere and not sarcastic mockery, i'll be shocked. It's absolutely giving that impression to a strong degree.

I think you’re reading too much into it, personally. If it’s supposed to be sarcasm it comes off as way too earnest, to the point where no one is going to get that it’s sarcasm. Also unlikely someone who works for Disney would be making snarky comments about Disney. Probably just someone who didn’t pick up on the fact that Disney Adult isn’t synonymous with Disney Fan, in terms of tone.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom