News Cars-Themed Attractions at Magic Kingdom

Animaniac93-98

This is honestly one of the biggest things that makes the parks a worse experience now -- the Magic Kingdom and especially Hollywood Studios have taken significant hits from this shift. DAK was mainly built/developed after the shift, so it didn't really change, and EPCOT has managed to keep some uniqueness due to the World Showcase.

It helps when third parties have input and operate venues like stores, restaurants and exhibits.

TrainsOfDisney

Cars is a merchandising juggernaut, but far from Pixar's most successful franchise when measured in box office receipts and audience/critical reception.
Even as an over all franchise in the USA & Canada several Pixar properties perform better including Toy Story, Inside out, incredibles and Finding Nemo.

Nickm2022

I think the real bad thing here, is not Cars replacing Tom Swayer or Rivers, but rather the fact that they had the concept art revealing this replacement ready to go, and pourpously waited to reveal this a day after D23 instead of at the actual convention, this shows they knew its not a popular choice and didn't care.

bwr827

I think the real bad thing here, is not Cars replacing Tom Swayer or Rivers, but rather the fact that they had the concept art revealing this replacement ready to go, and pourpously waited to reveal this a day after D23 instead of at the actual convention, this shows they knew its not a popular choice and didn't care.
Or it simply shows they understand a packed arena crowd is not ready for nuance and rational thinking.

SirLink

While I think TSI had long outlived its usefulness, the river itself is incredibly pretty and an indispensable part of the Magic Kingdom landscape. They could have easily found a way to keep part of it, while making the island itself - even if it was somehow attached to the mainland - far more useful.

My other big issue with this the sign out front of MK says "Here You Leave Today And Enter The World Of Yesterday, Tomorrow And Fantasy" and no lands in the park are of today, really. Cartoon cars in essentially present day Pacific Northwest isn't really transportive to a different time or a fantastical location. This is just indicative of a larger problem - they've really lost sight of theme parks being themed.

There doesn't need to be a land for 'today' as your "leaving today" when you enter through the arch.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Yeah, that concept holds up well in life. If they freely break their own rules, then thus their own rules are meaningless as soon as they are implemented.
1724006919977.jpeg

celluloid

There have been plans and proposals for removing the river/boat/TSI since before Iger was CEO.
There were also proposals to get Jay Ward characters in small world, Dimension Slashers in HM and an animatronic Eddie Murphy characatured Frankenstein at yhe Disney MGM studios. Proposals are a dime a dozen.

There are always out there ideas.

Notice there were off and on plans to do this, but only Iger is desperate enough now to give it a yes.

Last edited:

phillip9698

In the grand scheme of things, why does it matter? You feel you missed out on recorded footage of groaning? What does that change?

Ghost93

No, those are all lay down areas for gravel, materials, etc for future construction within Rivers of America.
Seems like the Railroad will still need to close regardless if they are transporting materials back and forth.

I hope some of the land beyond the railroad goes to villains. Want the land to be a decent size.

Nevermore525

Seems like the Railroad will still need to close regardless if they are transporting materials back and forth.

I hope some of the land beyond the railroad goes to villains. Want the land to be a decent size.
The Railroad will likely have periodic closures, but shouldn’t be as extensive as the ones for Tron.

Making that section north of the Railroad a lay down area could open up possible expansion opportunities later on.

peter11435

No, those are all lay down areas for gravel, materials, etc for future construction within Rivers of America.
Correct… but like several lay down areas from the past it could possibly be developed into something in the future. There are several resorts at WDW that owe their existence to previous large construction projects staging on their sites.

TrainsOfDisney

I’m actually quite concerned about the future of the railroad. Every reason that exists for getting rid of the riverboat exists for the railroad and often more. It takes more staff to operate - and much more in maintenance since there are a total of 4 locomotives.

Beacon Joe

Hey, anybody from Disney Company! Since the parks' direction is abundantly clear, I'm offering this to you for free. No consulting fees. Gratis. Nada. I'm giving you over 36.5 acres of currently underutilized, unprofitable space in which you can place a wide variety of screen rides and gift shops because placemaking, atmosphere and theming is so regressive and last century:

pave it.JPG

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom