News Cars-Themed Attractions at Magic Kingdom

DarkMetroid567

I’m actually quite concerned about the future of the railroad. Every reason that exists for getting rid of the riverboat exists for the railroad and often more. It takes more staff to operate - and much more in maintenance since there are a total of 4 locomotives.
I think even if Disney really hated operating the Railroad, it gains relatively little from closing it. It’s supposedly the reason that Mr. Toad hasn’t croaked — what, realistically, could you replace it with?

TrainsOfDisney

I think even if Disney really hated operating the Railroad, it gains relatively little from closing it. It’s supposedly the reason that Mr. Toad hasn’t croaked — what, realistically, could you replace it with?
It’s expensive to maintain and operate, no IP attached, no LL to sell and it gets in the way of future development.

Park a train at each station, call it a “museum” and be done with it. L

phillip9698

I think if can't sell your great new thing to your hardcore fans without nuance and rational thinking, then maybe that should give you pause.

What company gives every single minute detail of a project when it’s first announced?

What company doesn’t carefully craft its press releases to maximize the positive response to said announcement?

Some of you act like this isn’t a business customer relationship. Being a super fan doesn’t make you part of the team! You are as useful as Disney deems you at any point in time.

Dizknee_Phreek

It’s expensive to maintain and operate, no IP attached, no LL to sell and it gets in the way of future development.

Park a train at each station, call it a “museum” and be done with it. L
Might as well. That's pretty much how the riverboat is being treated. Plus, you have to go out of your way to see the train, so therefore it's not really integrated into the park or adding atmosphere right? 🙄 At least according to some people.

Disgruntled Walt

In the Parks
No
It’s powered by steam, just like mark Twain in California as well as all of the locomotives. Nothing about that makes it a logistical nightmare.

That’s where they have a maintenance area for the boat - but there’s no reason it can’t be refurbished in place like at Disneyland.

You could fill in a large portion of the River like they did in Disneyland - this would be a win-win-win for everyone. View attachment 810391
I too would like to save the RoA, but wouldn't the Riverboat ride only be about 5 minutes if the river were this short?

Mr. Sullivan

I’m actually quite concerned about the future of the railroad. Every reason that exists for getting rid of the riverboat exists for the railroad and often more. It takes more staff to operate - and much more in maintenance since there are a total of 4 locomotives.
Sure but the river also has one big thing that made it a viable chop that the railroad doesn't: land.

The railroad isn't sitting on land they wanna develop. If they came in and tore up the entire track around the entire park that would not then create space to build on top of. They would just build around it which, judging by the current plans we're seeing, seems to be the plan.

Mr. Sullivan

I'd LOVE for Tony Baxter, Bob Gur and Joe Rhode to speak out publicly about this and be COMPLETELY HONEST about what they think about this mess. But,..we all know that they can't. "If" they go against Burbank, they will get blacklisted and canceled real fast.
Genuine question out of earnest curiosity.

I'm not at all saying they would (because I don't think they would), but if they were to come out and speak honestly and their honest opinion was that they approved it, then what would the response be? Would the fandom turn on these men that it loves to speak for and use as a defense of their points of view all because they don't echo that point of view?

Again, not saying they would be in agreement with Disney's decision, but more so this a little though experiment about how these three men in particular get used for a lot of conversation fodder by Disney fans who just assume they agree with everything Disney fans agree with.

TrainsOfDisney

Would the fandom turn on these men that it loves to speak for and use as a defense of their points of view all because they don't echo that point of view?
I can’t speak for all fandom but Tony and Joe are brilliant thinkers and I would love to hear them. Tony spoke in favor of the retheme for Maelstrom - I didn’t agree with 100% of what he said but i appreciated it.

BuzzedPotatoHead89

Sure but the river also has one big thing that made it a viable chop that the railroad doesn't: land.

The railroad isn't sitting on land they wanna develop. If they came in and tore up the entire track around the entire park that would not then create space to build on top of. They would just build around it which, judging by the current plans we're seeing, seems to be the plan.
Does the WDWRR have luxury cars that are tied to guided tours, etc.? I know at Disneyland there is an added morning tour that they charge $$ for one of the private cars.

If so, it’s probably safe. If not maybe that would be one way for the attraction to “demonstrate value” to TDO execs.

C33Mom

Except the trains run pretty full.
In addition to the trains running full, at Disneyland they are actually a useful transportation option for those with moderate mobility issues or kids too old for stroller but too young to walk 10 miles a day. Admittedly, a bit less so lately with the New Orleans stop closed, but in general it makes the parks a bit more manageable for guests while also absorbing capacity with manageable waits.

TrainsOfDisney

Does the WDWRR have luxury cars that are tied to guided tours, etc.? I know at Disneyland there is an added morning tour that they charge $$ for one of the private cars.
No they do not. The car you are referring to is the Lilly Belle - the only original Retlaw coach owned by Disney. It was rebuilt as an office car and designed by Lillian Disney.

The money for the tours probably helps to justify keeping the car and that’s about it haha.

October82

I'm not at all saying they would (because I don't think they would), but if they were to come out and speak honestly and their honest opinion was that they approved it, then what would the response be? Would the fandom turn on these men that it loves to speak for and use as a defense of their points of view all because they don't echo that point of view?

Again, not saying they would be in agreement with Disney's decision, but more so this a little though experiment about how these three men in particular get used for a lot of conversation fodder by Disney fans who just assume they agree with everything Disney fans agree with.
The closest parallel I know of is Joe's work on guardians at DCA. And despite leading the project, I don't believe he gave much in the way of a thoughtful defense of it in public.

So it would depend on what motivates their opinions. As far as this goes, my view that Cars/ROA is a poorly conceived project is a consequence of having learned a lot from Joe Rohde's past public writings, so it would be very surprising if he was a 'fan' of the project in his personal capacity.

Last edited:

JoeCamel

The closest parallel I know of is Joe's work on guardians at DCA. And despite leading the project, I don't believe he gave much in the way of a thoughtful defense of it in public.

So it would depend on what motivates their opinions. As far as this goes, my view that Cars/ROA is a poorly conceived project is a consequence of having learned a lot from Joe Rohde's past public writings, so it would be very surprising if he was a 'fan' of the project in his personal capacity.
I thought Joe made it clear he was ordered to make the facade so he did much like F&F was mandated by "management" so UC made it happen

celluloid

Even if some thought it was good use(doubtful)
I don't think 2 of three would find it best use(very doubtful)
And all dlf course are not a monolith of an idea.
Imagineers disagree with each other, in some.cases as passionately or more than people on these boards very frequently.
I think this one would be a stretch for a yone to think it is fantastic that is not under company script.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom