News Cars-Themed Attractions at Magic Kingdom

phillip9698

Aloha,
I think the reduction of Americana at MK resides under the Disney woke agenda.

Good lord.

Maybe just maybe the frontier is just outdated. Unless they’re well over 50 most people didn’t grow up with fond memories of the frontier or media glamorizing it. The frontier means nothing to the current generations bringing their kids to Disney parks. Nothing.

The closest I got to the frontier is knowing how to avoid dysentery playing Oregon Trail! And I’m 40+ with 2 elementary aged kids, aka prime Disney park demographic.

Maybe fans of Yellowstone can fill that riverboat going forward, but they sure aren’t the demographic to do anything on that island.

Last edited:

Jrb1979

Good lord.

Maybe just maybe the frontier is just outdated. Unless they’re over 50 most people didn’t grow up with fond memories of the frontier or media glamorizing it. The frontier means nothing to the current generations bringing their kids to Disney parks. Nothing.

Maybe fans of Yellowstone can fill that riverboat going forward, but they’re sure aren’t the prime demographic to do anything on that island.
And nothing screams Midwest like Kachow Kachow

lazyboy97o

There was never a Frontierland even in the press releases from back then they always stated Main Street and 3 lands in the initial first phase. Also the expansions were funded based on the ownership so "Disney put up $650 million and the HK government $750 million".

Link
There was a Frontierland, complete with new attractions.

The three lands were specifically not financed based on ownership. Disney was forced to make up for not properly building out the park.

LittleBuford

They are both owned by the same company. It’s hypocritical to say one is ok and the other is not. Especially when Family Guy is 10 x worse.
I feel we've entered territory that is both beyond what we're allowed to discuss and also, quite frankly, surreal in its framing. You're comparing two entirely incommensurate things. For one thing, no-one thinks of Family Guy as a Disney product. It has no bearing on the company brand, the parks, or anything to do with this thread.

easyrowrdw

I respect your opinion and you’re certainly entitled to it, but I think if you give the replacement a chance, your family may be pleasantly surprised. Like it could very well be a net improvement, if for nothing else then navigation alone. Not to mention Villains Land and whatever eventually comes to the expansion plots in the future.
I appreciate that. I don’t see navigation being a big issue, but Disney probably does. Still, others have demonstrated, there appear to be numerous ways to address crowd flow without razing the river and island.

Regardless, my position remains that Cars has no business in Frontierland or near Liberty Square. Rise of the Resistance is my favorite ride. I enjoy it more than the river or Tom Sawyer. But it doesn’t belong in Frontierland either. I’m sure the Cars rides will be fun. Disney should put them in Hollywood Studios where they belong.

Last edited:

TrainsOfDisney

It has no bearing on the company brand, the parks, or anything to do with this thread.
It was an extension of Deadpool vs. Shooting Range which is of course connected to Frontierland. I didn’t just randomly bring it up. This thread is steaming forward faster than the poor little Liberty Belle can paddle so it’s hard to make sense of it all sometimes! Ha

Stripes

Premium Member
Guys,...EVERY Disney Castle park in the world has a similar water/river feature to its design. ALL of them! It's for a good reason. This portion of every park is there to create an ATMOSPHERE.
As a Disneyland native, I’ve never thought MK’s ROA did a good job of creating an atmosphere. The river feels distant and it’s not well integrated into the park.

Compare the views from the main walking paths at Disneyland:
IMG_1018.jpeg

IMG_1019.jpeg

IMG_1020.jpeg

IMG_1022.jpeg

Compared to the views from the main walking paths at MK.

IMG_1017.jpeg

IMG_1023.png

IMG_1024.png

LittleBuford

How did we get to this point from the initial reaction, which centred on the much more pertinent questions of thematic fit, IP integration, and landscaping? Why are some of you so intent on spinning this into a bigger political battle? The discussion didn't begin this way and never had to take this strange turn.

psherman42

Echo Lake, really?? It’s a retention pond. MK will have more water than Echo Lake when all is said and done, and that’s not including the castle moat and Jungle Cruise. People are reaching so far to tear this decision down.
Comparing the river to the castle moat or Jungle Cruise is honestly ridiculous. The moat barely exists anymore and only people riding jungle cruise gets to experience it. Everyone walking through Frontierland/Liberty Square can see and enjoy the river.

As for Echo Lake, while it may be a “retention pond” it’s still a nice area of the park to sit and enjoy some downtime. MK deserves something similar.

And what percent goes to TSI? I bet it’s way below 10%.

I’m glad the company is finally doing something to differentiate these parks. Disneyland exists, if you want something closer to Walt’s original vision then go there. Let’s let the MK evolve for future generations.
MK can evolve for future generations and differentiate from DLR without getting rid of RoA. And to act like they’re clones is pretty silly too. There are many attractions at each that the other park does not have.

But Disney was never meant to be just a thrill ride park. It was always meant to have something to offer for everyone. This argument is also flawed in the fact that I remember way back in the 90s when certain attractions were consistently walk ons...Pirates, Haunted Mansion, Small World, Peoplemover, Jungle Cruise. Now, a lot of things can contribute to longer wait times (FP/LL, running less vehicles, etc) but would we consider any of these attractions unpopular today? It comes down to Disney CAN and should still have a mix of thrills and non-thrills. If people want to thrill seek and nothing else, there are plenty of other parks for that.
This is the biggest reason why while I love Universal, it has always come second to Disney. As much as I enjoy thrill rides, I need more of a balance.

You know...
Isn't it a bit odd that they built Tiana's Bayou, which is adjacent to a river with a riverboat on it - fitting the theme - as a riverboat featured heavily in the film, and the waterway does fit well with the outdoor theming of Tiana's - and now they are going to take it away?
I was thinking this today. They really could have leaned into that and it’s disappointing that it seems like they won’t.
As a Disneyland native, I’ve never thought MK’s ROA did a good job of creating an atmosphere. The river feels distant and it’s not well integrated into the park.

Compare the views from the main walking paths at Disneyland:
View attachment 810161

View attachment 810162
View attachment 810163

View attachment 810164

Compared to the views from the main walking paths at MK.

View attachment 810165

View attachment 810166
View attachment 810167
Okay but they literally have a boardwalk that travels along the edge of the water.

Attachments

• IMG_4391.jpeg
    IMG_4391.jpeg
    125.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4389.jpeg
    IMG_4389.jpeg
    55.8 KB · Views: 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom