News Cars-Themed Attractions at Magic Kingdom

Marc Davis Fan

To add another voice reiterating what others have said in various ways here:

Disney theme parks were designed to be a holistic experience, with carefully-designed environments creating different feelings as you move through the space. It’s known as “the architecture of reassurance” (see the classic article “Disneyland is Good for You” and John Hench’s book “Designing Disney”). The “magic” this creates was a major part of what has made Disney parks so successful—and so different from the rest.

Standing on the banks of a wide, picturesque beautiful river with a beautiful riverboat sailing past is—along with Main Street—the quintessential example of this.

People are not necessarily expected to realize this, so it won’t necessarily show up on surveys, but it shows up in their happiness and return visits.

(If the new area is similarly peaceful, picturesque, etc., it might still have at least some of that effect—but I have no idea if we can expect this…)

Quietmouse

I'm not as mad as I once was about losing the ROA but I'm still very sad. It's very telling how uncaring wdw management is about the history of the resort. Disneyland went through pain staking efforts to preserve and improve the ROA when adding in Galaxy's edge. Its so sad to see how they didn't even bother and are just throwing it all away. Or in this case filling it all in. I just hope that with all the backlash management will change their mind, (although I don't think they will).

Disney world does not have that much history.

There are plenty of users on here that are older than Disney world.

Walt had his every ounce and being dedicated to the creation and planning of Disney land. Unfortunately he could never really see out that vision with Disney world to its fullest extent.

That’s why I somewhat roll my eyes at the purists. Disney land has every right to have purist thoughts attached? Disney world, meh.

James Alucobond

The point of my comment was “by x logic, y would be the result.”

I am all for being responsive to guest satisfaction and usage. But there are situations where it doesn’t really make sense. The riverboat is largely a thematic element at this point. People generally don’t climb all over the decor, it’s just there in the background doing its thing. That doesn’t mean it serves no purpose. If Cars is just breathtaking, people still won’t be climbing on the trees in the background of the ride or specifically commenting on them in surveys (“Dear Disney. There were trees and rocks and stuff in that cars ride! Thank you!!”) but that doesn’t mean it should be on an unthemed slab of concrete.
That's not the logic of this expansion, though. The proposed design is full of planted areas, full of water and rockwork, and full of decor, often inefficiently so in order to hide the Cars vehicles from the rest of the land.

Disstevefan1

Walt had his every ounce and being dedicated to the creation and planning of Disney land. Unfortunately he could never really see out that vision with Disney world to its fullest extent.

That’s why I somewhat roll my eyes at the purists. Disney land has every right to have purist thoughts attached? Disney world, meh.
OK you say WDW has no history.

There are folks who hate WDW and love DLR, but I digress.

If the company wanted WDW to develop a history the would refrain from changing things.

I personally think Iger does not care about WDW,

el_super

The river is being removed because DISNEY doesn't care about it.

Disney does not care about it, because their guests do not care about it.

They have the turnstile numbers, the guest satisfaction numbers, the survey data. They know how people feel about it. They know how much it costs to maintain today, and they know how much a new attraction will be. They know how much people are willing to pay for their experience and what they spend on time in the park. All of their science points to removing the river as the most prudent decision. That's why they are doing it.

People don't care about the river? Yeah,...completely incorrect.

I guess we will find out when it's gone...

Burbank did NOT tell us where Cars was going until the day AFTER everybody went home. They were smart to NOT drop that bomb live, on stage.

Of course. You know why? Because that presentation was NOT the place to go over the specific details of every project. This isn't some conspiracy theory that they were trying to hide the information. It just wasn't appropriate to bring it up in the midst of what turned out to be a three hour long event. If they were trying to hide it, they wouldn't have put out the information at all, nevermind the next business day. They owe no information to anyone.

What if they cemented the river in Disneyland and destroyed the Mark Twain and the Colombia? Yeah,....there would be a lynch mob at gates of Disneyland.

Maybe Disneyland's guests are just different that way?

Ah yes “you are selfish for wanting Disney to continue doing something you like” - my favorite argument haha.

It is selfish to keep to a line of thinking, without understanding or respecting the interests of other parties. Disney isn't in the business of making guests angry, so clearly this decision is coming from a place of making the park better for the biggest majority of people.

etc98

Disneyland was only 11 when Disney World was announced, and 16 when Magic Kingdom opened. There’s really not that big a difference in their ages or how much history they have

Starship824

In the Parks
No

WDW has over 50 years of history. Just because Walt didn't have a direct hand in designing Magic Kingdom doesn't mean we should just ignore the work of everyone else who worked on it. Especially because most if not all of those people worked very closely with him.

duncedoof

It exists. It was built. It's been developed. Yes, it has history.

I am once again pointing at the sign:

On Integrity

"Now, I have this to say, and I love Disneyland dearly, but when it comes to Walt Disney World -- to hell with Disneyland.

Disneyland has a colorful and unique history. But so does Walt Disney World, and Walt Disney World's history has been slowly whittled away these past few years by thoughtless and presumptive choices, choices held up only by ignorance of the unique local culture of the Florida park.
[...]

Walt Disney World needs to start thinking long-term now, now that forty years have breezed past. They need to seek out and maintain a roster of talent who know and have Walt Disney World bound into their blood and every fiber of their body the way Disneyland does. So far, the last two decades they've been content with Marriott hotel managers and accountants, people who don't see past the ends of their own nose. And lots of being led around by the wrist by Disneyland. But Walt Disney World, she isn't the second Disneyland. She's the first Walt Disney World. And she needs to start acting like it."

Penned 12 years ago...

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
I’m looking at this project as a perfect opportunity to improve the beauty and refine the story of Frontierland and Liberty Square.

I genuinely think that when all is said and done, Frontierland and Liberty Square will have more beauty, feel more lively, and give a greater sense of tranquility.

I’m especially looking forward to these tucked away paths in Frontierland where one gets a peak through the trees of a grand waterfall and as we get closer, the bustle of Frontierland fades away and we are captivated by the sight and sounds of rushing water cascading down the cliffside. The water flows under the bridge and beneath our feet. We turn around to see where it’s going and it’s a beautiful oasis of crystal clear water surrounded by a lush landscape of trees.

View attachment 809858
I am not sure what Disney has done recently that gives you any sense that this will occur. Also, dissecting the concept art they provide...well, I have learned a lesson or two from that.

TP2000

So about that 2500 guests per hour. Is Disney going to force people at gunpoint to ride that boat and experience that island?

WDW guests have shown over the past decade+ they don’t want to get on that boat or go to that island. No amount of colors on google maps is changing that.

I understand that for many WDW fans who have never, or rarely, visited Disneyland or Tokyo Disneyland, the idea of a busy and popular Rivers of America with multiple popular attractions is crazy talk. o_O

Here's a quote from me from 2010 from this exact forum, reflecting on a recent WDW visit I had made in 2009, and the comparison to WDW's Rivers of America from a Disneyland perspective was stark. And this conversation context was after a huge Rehab the Disneyland river got in 2009, before it got an even bigger rehab and major plussing and rerouting in 2017...

You think? TDO seems to have left the Magic Kingdom river to rot, if my last trip in '09 on the riverboat was any indication. Magic Kingdom's Rivers of America has just one working boat, and some very tired and worn out looking scenery, and all the charm of a landscaped drainage canal.

The Disney Parks Blog has a neat little video showcasing the current eye candy along Disneyland's Rivers of America, including the first use of live horses in the Indian Village. Whether your attraction of choice is the Mark Twain Riverboat, the Sailing Ship Columbia or the Davy Crockett Explorer Canoes, there's a lot to see along Disneyland's river. http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2010/07/video-shows-changes-to-rivers-of-america/

On my last trip along WDW's Rivers of America, nothing seemed to work, and most theme elements seemed to have been abandoned by the maintenance department. :confused:

That TDO and WDW management has left their Rivers of America to rot for decades now is not the fault of the paying guests who know that, and thus avoid wasting time on a lone riverboat to look at a landscaped drainage canal (my phrase from 2010).

So fix it! Plus it up! Make it great again! And WDW fans would be wise to stop letting TDO get away with these lowered expectations and declining showmanship standards. Or else, you get what you deserve in your favorite theme parks. Or what used to be your favorite theme park.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom