News Cars-Themed Attractions at Magic Kingdom

Stripes

Premium Member
Why do you think this may be your favorite attraction? No matter where it was going it doesn’t have much interest to me and I think radiator springs racers is one of Disneys best modern attractions, maybe even better than rise.
Indeed, RSR is my favorite attraction. As someone that lives in the PNW, I’m very excited to see that region of our country represented in the parks for the first time. A thrilling race up and down climbing trails, caves, dodging geysers, and splashing in mudholes reportedly using electric cars navigating using trackless technology sounds like a one of a kind attraction with some incredibly innovative technology.

Like I said, RSR is my favorite attraction. I think this one could give it a run for its money.

Last edited:

psherman42

Disneyland’s Rivers of America hosts the Mark Twain (which on its maiden voyage hosted the 30th wedding anniversary of Walt and Lillian Disney), the Sailing Ship Columbia, and Fantasmic. None of which applies to MK’s ROA and never has. Not to mention, Disneyland’s has always been more aesthetically pleasing.

I’d certainly imagine the costs of saving MK’s version was a lot higher considering the expansions would need to be built on marginally unsuitable or, at best, marginally suitable land. Disneyland didn’t have that problem and their expansion space was all previously developed land. MK’s river is also connected to a very sophisticated water management system, unlike Disneyland’s.

When you consider all of these factors it’s difficult to justify the continued existence of MK’s Rivers of America. I’m glad WDWMagic insiders have shared that Disney executives chose one of the more expensive plans in terms of making sure the expansion fits in well with Frontierland and Liberty Square.
So because it’s “not as aesthetically pleasing” as Disneyland’s, that means it has to go? If Disney wanted to save the river, they could. Aren’t the imagineers supposed to be the best in the business? Are we really supposed to believe they couldn’t come up with some sort of solution, even to preserve the front part of the river along the walkway?

Stripes

Premium Member
If there are all these ponds, streams, and waterfalls supposedly planned for the area, why did they release concept art that doesn’t show them?
Probably because they plan to show off concept art that clearly depicts how things will look just before Rivers of America closes. They did the same thing just before Rivers of America was drained in Disneyland.

TrainsOfDisney

Not to mention, Disneyland’s has always been more aesthetically pleasing.
Oh I disagree - as clever as the design is for the Fantasmic stage it takes quite a bit of charm away from the island. In Florida we have Aunt Polly’s gazebo, the water mill, and the windmill. Both have the previously burning cabin.
MK’s river is also connected to a very sophisticated water management system, unlike Disneyland’s.
That can easily be changed if that is an issue.

Stripes

Premium Member
So because it’s “not as aesthetically pleasing” as Disneyland’s, that means it has to go? If Disney wanted to save the river, they could. Aren’t the imagineers supposed to be the best in the business? Are we really supposed to believe they couldn’t come up with some sort of solution, even to preserve the front part of the river along the walkway?
Again, with money and time anything is possible. I would rather the resources be spent elsewhere. Instead of the worst and most pathetic Rivers of America at any Disney park around the world, which would’ve been made even more so by developing around it and ruining its charm, you’ll have something even more beautiful and unique to Florida.

Stripes

Premium Member
Oh I disagree - as clever as the design is for the Fantasmic stage it takes quite a bit of charm away from the island. In Florida we have Aunt Polly’s gazebo, the water mill, and the windmill. Both have the previously burning cabin.
I agree that MK’s is more charming. But Disneyland’s is better looking.

In my opinion.

Incomudro

I’m not trying to invalidate your feelings, but I don't think it’s a "flashy" IP anymore. I’m Gen Z, and Cars definitely gives me nostalgia; it takes me back to my childhood. It’s not really a new product—it’s almost 20 years old. I don't agree with its placement, but I think a lot of people from my generation are going to feel pretty nostalgic about it.
I'm 60, and I've got nostalgia for it because my twin sons were little when the movie was out and they loved it.
They had all of the diecast cars from the first film.
I've got a diecast Lightning McQueen on my nightstand because it brings me happy memories of when my sons were little.

psherman42

Again, with money and time anything is possible. I would rather the resources be spent elsewhere. Instead of the worst and most pathetic Rivers of America at any Disney park around the world, which would’ve been made even more so by developing around it and ruining its charm, you’ll have something even more beautiful and unique to Florida.
With respect, you have no idea that the new area will be even more beautiful. And that still wouldn’t change the fact that it could go somewhere else. We could have had a unique area *somewhere else.

I wish that I could be excited about this project like unfortunately so many are, but I just can’t given what we’re losing. I’ve always been supportive of Disney. While I’ve been sad about some attraction closures, it’s always been second to the excitement of what’s coming. But gutting RoA for this just feels so wrong.

There are tons of rumors flying around about ideas that are planned for MK in addition to what was announced at D23. And if that’s actuallt the case, they should build a fifth park instead.

Stripes

Premium Member
With respect, you have no idea that the new area will be even more beautiful. And that still wouldn’t change the fact that it could go somewhere else. We could have had a unique area *somewhere else.

I wish that I could be excited about this project like unfortunately so many are, but I just can’t given what we’re losing. I’ve always been supportive of Disney. While I’ve been sad about some attraction closures, it’s always been second to the excitement of what’s coming. But gutting RoA for this just feels so wrong.

There are tons of rumors flying around about ideas that are planned for MK in addition to what was announced at D23. And if that’s actuallt the case, they should build a fifth park instead.
MK, being the most visited theme park on the planet, has to expand its capacity in order to ensure a decent guest experience for future generations. It has to make sacrifices that other parks don’t have to make.

I’m confident that I will appreciate the new aesthetic in Frontierland and Liberty Square more. Grizzly Peak at DCA is my all-time favorite land, and its clear that’s where they are drawing their inspiration from.

hopemax

So my first anecdotal story in the wild. Disney section of the Funko HQ in Washington. Dad asked his preteen daughters if they heard that they were taking out Tom Sawyer Island and the whole river for… he was a little confused if it was Cars or Villains. So I explained Cars for the River / Island and Villains is a later project in empty space by Haunted Mansion. But bonus points to him for knowing it was the whole river was going away.

He said, “That sounds okay because he loves the one in CA.” I said, well it won’t be the same ride because they don’t have enough space. He said, he loves the area more than the ride, and I said, I don’t think they are getting anything like that because of the space issues.

The little interaction ended there, but this is another concern to track. If regular folks assume MK is getting something equivalent to the land in DCA, even if the ride is different.

psherman42

MK, being the most visited theme park on the planet, has to expand its capacity in order to ensure a decent guest experience for future generations. It has to make sacrifices that other parks don’t have to make.

I’m confident that I will appreciate the new aesthetic in Frontierland and Liberty Square more. Grizzly Peak at DCA is my all-time favorite land, and its clear that’s where they are drawing their inspiration from.
But there are other ways. They don’t have to sacrifice the river, or at least not the entire river. They could get rid of the speedway. SGE still sits empty. They have space behind the park. There are other options they could have explored that don’t eliminate RoA.

Grizzly Peak is a beautiful area and that’s great it’s your favorite area. But it still doesn’t belong in Frontierland or Liberty Square.

Stripes

Premium Member
But there are other ways. They don’t have to sacrifice the river, or at least not the entire river. They could get rid of the speedway. SGE still sits empty. They have space behind the park. There are other options they could have explored that don’t eliminate RoA.

Grizzly Peak is a beautiful area and that’s great it’s your favorite area. But it still doesn’t belong in Frontierland or Liberty Square.
Grizzly Peak is literally the American frontier. There isn‘t a place that represents it better, in my opinion.

trainplane3

Fake news!!! I was told the pirate ship never actually runs!

Also… it’s very selfish of anyone to ride those rides - they are the reason the cost of admission is so high!

Sorry haha 🙈
I know you're joking but the Columbia is running today.
Meanwhile, at Disneyland... :rolleyes:

It's a shock how busy it really is. Today the both boats were pretty busy and rafts were packed. As a first time DL'er, it's so awesome to all of that.

erasure fan1

MK, being the most visited theme park on the planet, has to expand its capacity in order to ensure a decent guest experience for future generations.
There's one big problem with expanding the magic kingdom. Unless they are going to do a whole heck of a lot more than villains and cars, you're not really helping. New stuff will bring more people in. The biggest relief for the magic kingdom, Is the 3 other parks to be full. They need to draw people away from the magic kingdom, not bring them to it. The magic kingdom will always be the flagship park and need to be the biggest. But it's so far ahead of all the other parks right now, it's not even funny. That's why I think cars should be for a different park. The studios and animal kingdom have much more of a need.

Stripes

Premium Member
There's one big problem with expanding the magic kingdom. Unless they are going to do a whole heck of a lot more than villains and cars, you're not really helping. New stuff will bring more people in. The biggest relief for the magic kingdom, Is the 3 other parks to be full. They need to draw people away from the magic kingdom, not bring them to it. The magic kingdom will always be the flagship park and need to be the biggest. But it's so far ahead of all the other parks right now, it's not even funny. That's why I think cars should be for a different park. The studios and animal kingdom have much more of a need.
Mmm…I think expansions at other WDW parks probably strain MK more at this point than an MK capacity expansion.

Nobody skips MK. So if they book a trip to go see Encanto at DAK, they’re gonna go to MK too, but unlike DAK, MK hasn’t expanded its capacity thereby making it feel more crowded.

James Alucobond

Nobody skips MK. So if they book a trip to go see Encanto at DAK, they’re gonna go to MK too, but unlike DAK, MK hasn’t expanded its capacity thereby making it feel more crowded.
MK also has entertainment must-sees like Happily Ever After that make capacity even worse because everyone wants to squeeze into one land at once. Here's hoping Villains tries doing the Galaxy's Edge thing with an alternate evil version of the show projected onto Maleficent's castle.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom