News Cars-Themed Attractions at Magic Kingdom

erasure fan1

So don't count on the final variant of this Cars miniland to look as pretty as its concept art.
I think that's a guarantee it won't. I mean, has any land they've built come even remotely close? I can't think of any. Sure it's concept art, but they are pretty good at over promising and under delivering. I'd say Pandora is probably the closest they've come.

CoasterCowboy67

Depending on queue length, those 1500 will not necessarily occupy the miniland continuously during the full hour (particularly with Lightning Lane), whereas those on TSI generally will because they’re actively doing things. Something like TSI, theoretically at capacity, has less total throughput but potentially takes people out of the pool that is stressing the broader park facilities for more total time.
They’re on a ride or in line for the ride. They’re fully occupying those two spaces for at least the 60 minute duration of the line; which is a low ball. And we haven’t added those doing the same for the second ride, a potential store, and walkways

And you’ve now reverted to a realistic capacity vs. theoretical max capacity. If we’re on the former, then the reality is the boat, rafts and island have nowhere near 700 people on them at a given time. The Cars rides and land will be packed to the brim

TrainsOfDisney

I'd say Pandora is probably the closest they've come.
By far the closest they’ve gotten in recent years is Pandora and Cars Land - not only did they have 2 of the best imagineers leading those projects (Kevin and Joe) - but more importantly they the films Producers heavily involved - neither producer was scared of Bob Iger and both demanded that the lands be done right and not budget cut.

Animaniac93-98

Depending on queue length, those 1500 will not necessarily occupy the miniland continuously during the full hour (particularly with Lightning Lane), whereas those on TSI generally will because they’re actively doing things. Something like TSI, theoretically at capacity, has less total throughput but potentially takes people out of the pool that is stressing the broader park facilities for more total time.

The time it takes to take the raft there and back is longer than a lot of new rides they've built of late.

GenChi

The funny thing is, Disney could sell merch for ANY parks IP if they wanted to. Haunted Mansion merch sells. Figment merch sells. If they made merch for Pirates (the ride, not the movie), Country Bears, Jungle Cruise, Small World, etc., it'd sell. People love the parks IP more than Disney expects. The CBMJ shirt has been selling well because people WANT CBJ merch. Disney would rather just sell the kind of merch you can get at any Target in America, because it's safe.

It's unbelievable to me how they mishandle such a potential cash cow.

It gets me because REGIONAL PARKS manage to have a full scale of merchandise for their rides, even ones without beloved characters or larger fandoms. From pins to shirts and even plushes at time for random themeless roller coasters. They manage to do it better then the supposed leaders who are stuck just throwing the Elsa and Mickey merch you can get at Walmart in all park stores.

They know Haunted Mansion and Figment are successful sellers and they do a good job merchandising them. There's no reason they can't do some things for every ride, every ride in the park should have some collection of merch buyable nearby. Even if they buy wholesale shirts and iron on different attraction posters. Throw in a few original pieces or even a full collection once every few years like they do sometimes to excite fans.

People want this, they know this is successful. Many rides are undermerched. That they refuse to do it just boggles my mind.

James Alucobond

They’re on a ride or in line for the ride. They’re fully occupying those two spaces for at least the 60 minute duration of the line; which is a low ball. And we haven’t added those doing the same for the second ride, a potential store, and walkways

And you’ve now reverted to a realistic capacity vs. theoretical max capacity. If we’re on the former, then the reality is the boat, rafts and island have nowhere near 700 people on them at a given time. The Cars rides and land will be packed to the brim
The point is that the instantaneous capacity of the miniland is totally different from the hourly capacity of its attractions, particularly when you have so many people zooming in and out in 10 minutes with a Lightning Lane. TSI, by contrast, is a pretty captive commitment for a significant chunk of time.

And again, I was never arguing popularity with you. I’m sure the standby for Cars will overflow its queue whereas TSI is frequently desolate. But they are not really comparable in terms of efficiency of space because they are fundamentally different experiences, and hourly capacity is a poor measure for any non-ride attraction.

TrainsOfDisney

I’ve got one thing to throw out there -

Supposedly Monsters Inc. is not 100% sure on location and how it gets implemented. Multiple sites have been considered (as evident in the artwork).

There’s got to be multiple designs on the drawing board for this attraction - I’m quite positive there is a design that keeps the riverboat. Meaning cars still happens and the riverboat stays.

I know it’s a long shot, but it’s in the world of possibilities.

CoasterCowboy67

I guarantee the day they announce a replacement for the Speedway, the exact same complaining we're seeing today will be made about that too.
“But it was one of the first attractions to let us drive!” “But it’s the perfect transition from Fantasyland to Tomorrowland!” But it’s what Walt wanted for us!” “But it was such a calm retreat from the hustle and bustle of the fast paced rides!” “But why didn’t it go somewhere else!”

If it’s not original IP in net new land, brace for the riot. The older and emptier the attraction it’s replacing, the louder the riot.

TP2000

From your friends over in the Disneyland forum version of this basic conversation, I offer this...

Cocktail Napkin math, just before happy hour (San Diego time) when the napkins and the mind are still crisp...

Hourly Capacity from Google:

Disneyland Rivers of America Hourly Capacity = 2,700 riders per hour

Mark Twain Riverboat = 750 riders per hour (250 per trip, three trips per hour)
Columbia Sailing Ship = 600 riders per hour (200 per trip, three trips per hour)
Canoes = 600 riders per hour (roughly 100 riders per canoe per hour, Disneyland operates 6 canoes on busy days)
Rafts to TSI = 750 riders per hour (roughly 250 riders per raft per hour, and Disneyland can operate 3 rafts on busy days)

Magic Kingdom Rivers of America Hourly Capacity if TDO Was Smart = 2,600 Riders Per Hour
Riverboat I and II = 1500 riders per hour, (250 per trip per boat, six trips per hour operating both boats)
Mike Fink Keelboats = 350 riders per hour (30 riders per trip, twelve trips per hour with three boats operating)
Rafts to TSI = 750 riders per hour (roughly 250 riders per raft per hour, and WDW used to operate up to 3 rafts on busy days)

Cars Land East In 2028 = 2,000 Riders Per Hour
Radiator Springs Racers = 1500 riders per hour
Average C Ticket Spinner = 500 riders per hour?

So instead of rebuilding all the lost ride capacity at WDW's Rivers of America, and plussing up the showmanship along the river that operating attractions would interact with, to get back to 2,500ish riders per hour and then also building a Cars Land East with three new rides beyond Big Thunder Mountain to add in an additional 2,500 riders per hour from Cars Land East....

TDO is bulldozing the Rivers of America, giving up on that existing infrastructure and potential for 2,500 riders per hour, and replacing it with only 2 new rides that will get less riders per hour than the Rivers of America did in the 1970's to 1990's. :banghead:

And we're supposed to pretend that Josh D'Amaro and the existing WDI and TDO executives aren't idiots? These current park execs are not showmen, and they are bad at hospitality for their paying guests. Plain and simple.

Incomudro

Is it just me or does the new Cars E ticket look really devoid of substance? And to think it’s only going to get worse as budgets are cut…
I think the worst part is that if the ride system turns out to be the trackless system people have shown in the YouTube videos, this ride is going to move pretty slowly.

peter11435

Supposedly Monsters Inc. is not 100% sure on location and how it gets implemented. Multiple sites have been considered (as evident in the artwork).

There’s got to be multiple designs on the drawing board for this attraction - I’m quite positive there is a design that keeps the riverboat. Meaning cars still happens and the riverboat stays.

The boat is done

peter11435

From your friends over in the Disneyland forum version of this basic conversation, I offer this...

Cocktail Napkin math, just before happy hour (San Diego time) when the napkins and the mind are still crisp...

Hourly Capacity from Google:

Disneyland Rivers of America Hourly Capacity = 2,700 riders per hour

Mark Twain Riverboat = 750 riders per hour (250 per trip, three trips per hour)
Columbia Sailing Ship = 600 riders per hour (200 per trip, three trips per hour)
Canoes = 600 riders per hour (roughly 100 riders per canoe per hour, Disneyland operates 6 canoes on busy days)
Rafts to TSI = 750 riders per hour (roughly 250 riders per raft per hour, and Disneyland can operate 3 rafts on busy days)

Magic Kingdom Rivers of America Hourly Capacity if TDO Was Smart = 2,600 Riders Per Hour
Riverboat I and II = 1500 riders per hour, (250 per trip per boat, six trips per hour operating both boats)
Mike Fink Keelboats = 350 riders per hour (30 riders per trip, twelve trips per hour with three boats operating)
Rafts to TSI = 750 riders per hour (roughly 250 riders per raft per hour, and WDW used to operate up to 3 rafts on busy days)

Cars Land East In 2028 = 2,000 Riders Per Hour
Radiator Springs Racers = 1500 riders per hour
Average C Ticket Spinner = 500 riders per hour?

So instead of rebuilding all the lost ride capacity at WDW's Rivers of America, and plussing up the showmanship along the river that operating attractions would interact with, to get back to 2,500ish riders per hour and then also building a Cars Land East with three new rides beyond Big Thunder Mountain to add in an additional 2,500 riders per hour from Cars Land East....

TDO is bulldozing the Rivers of America, giving up completely on that existing infrastructure and potential for 2,500 riders per hour, and replacing it with two new rides that will get less riders per hour than the Rivers of America did in the 1970's to 1990's. :banghead:

And we're supposed to pretend that Josh D'Amaro and the existing WDI and TDO executives aren't idiots? These current park execs are not showmen, and they are bad at hospitality for their paying guests. Plain and simple.
The problem with your math is that even with only one riverboat running only twice per hour they can’t even half fill the thing.

“But it was one of the first attractions to let us drive!” “But it’s the perfect transition from Fantasyland to Tomorrowland!” But it’s what Walt wanted for us!” “But it was such a calm retreat from the hustle and bustle of the fast paced rides!” “But why didn’t it go somewhere else!”

If it’s not original IP in net new land, brace for the riot. The older and emptier the attraction it’s replacing, the louder the riot.
Exactly what I was saying. I've seen people talking about how much of a waste TSI has been forever. I've also heard people say that they would also fill in the river to put a full on attraction in there. Me personally, I think this attraction will look pretty cool as long as they hide the cars themselves from the HM queue which the concept art clearly shows them doing so. Frontierland was struggling for a while now imo and was the 2nd weakest land for me in the park. I've been on TSI/Riverboat maybe twice. When I heard about this news, there was no part of me that wanted to "rush down" to see it one last time. It's time has been up for years in my opinion, it's simply fixing up an underutilized plot of land with an IP that is poorly represented in this resort and finding a way to make it fit decently.

mgf

I agree I think it stays but stationary and potentially not guest accessible (think a set piece on the rivers around Big Thunder).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom