News Cars-Themed Attractions at Magic Kingdom

James Alucobond

We do know that the Riverboat, Steam Train, and Monorail were the things he personally owned - so it’s pretty clear to me that he would be against removing the riverboat for sure.
… Because model trains and their ilk were pretty ubiquitously emblematic of childhood toys when Walt grew up, and he liked playing with them on a grand scale. It’s equally difficult to say what a Walt who grew up today would find fascinating given current interests. The connection to childhood has always been there in practically every land, but it’s definitely fair to say that there’s a difference between building specifically for children and building things inspired by childhood on a scale and at a level of detail that can be appreciated into adulthood.

ToTBellHop

It will make the overall park hotter. Trees are a natural way to cool large areas.
I find MSUSA to be the coolest area of the park with all of the conditioned air flying out into the street. On TSI, I was sweating from areas I didn’t know had sweat glands. But, yes, the pavement in the Cars area will be hot in July.

TrainsOfDisney

The connection to childhood has always been there in practically every land,
Diving into psychology a bit now but not just childhood - the themes of Adventure, Fantasy, interest in the past (History) and curiosity about the future are all part of the human experience.

Now to bring us back to the theme, let’s imagine Cars character Fillmore voiced by George Carlin responding to me “that’s deep man”

Chef idea Mickey`=

Yeah... I don't always ponder "What would Walt think," but I feel very safe in my belief that if we unfroze his head he would be devastated at the idea of removing that river and boat.
He wouldn't be against Cars and want to add the charm and American aspect of Radiator Spring's beyond Big Thunder behind Big Thunder and use the Ornament Valley as a backdrop as further landscape in order so it matches with Big Thunder yet gives us another place of wonder and excitement together beyond meanwhile letting us continue to enjoy history as well with a timeline of everything that we have that is classic broadening a sense of the young inspired and understanding at the same time from beloved characters but also in real life. His message for the park will never stop changing and evolve time and time again was for Disneyland. WDW isn't short on space and land and he didn't need that there was another Disneyland park here in the first place but they told him there had to be at that time.

Wall-e

… Because model trains and their ilk were pretty ubiquitously emblematic of childhood toys when Walt grew up, and he liked playing with them on a grand scale. It’s equally difficult to say what a Walt who grew up today would find fascinating given current interests. The connection to childhood has always been there in practically every land, but it’s definitely fair to say that there’s a difference between building specifically for children and building things inspired by childhood on a scale and at a level of detail that can be appreciated into adulthood.
This is a great take on the topic. And while Walt may not have designed rides specifically for children he did design them for the young at heart. Bob Iger approved a project that not only caters to the young at heart but all those with a daring dark side too.

And I am not trying to be callous but if someone truly feels abandoned by Disney's current regime then it is ok to take your dollar elsewhere. There are many natural destinations that fit the mold of what you are losing when the River is removed.

But I am sorry, I just do not share the sentiment that everything in the parks needs to stay exactly as Walt had it. As someone else pointed out, systems become antiquated, costs for maintenance change, priorities change.

And I am honestly asking again, is there another forum established where those who want to talk about what's to come can do so without the conversation of IP's, destroying the park, etc dominating the conversation?

TrainsOfDisney

And I am honestly asking again, is there another forum established where those who want to talk about what's to come can do so without the conversation of IP's, destroying the park, etc dominating the conversation?
You would love the approved comments on the Disney Parks Blog :)

On a serious note - I think there might be a thread talking about the ride system and what it may or may not be. I should probably look at that because I am a theme park geek and everyone is hinting at a “new” ride system.

Chef idea Mickey`=

There are many natural destinations that fit the mold of what you are losing when the River is removed.

But I am sorry, I just do not share the sentiment that everything in the parks needs to stay exactly as Walt had it. As someone else pointed out, systems become antiquated, costs for maintenance change, priorities change.
It's not about only a river and a riverboat though the riverboat Liberty Bell truly represents as a living piece of history within that renowned area of the park. I think even with Disneyland that's why he separated "Disney IP" with Frontierland by putting all of that in Fantasyland. Frontierland was for the History and evolution of America. Would Walt point out why they are not putting theming something Cars in Tomorrowland Speedway area I bet he would.

John park hopper

This is a great take on the topic. And while Walt may not have designed rides specifically for children he did design them for the young at heart. Bob Iger approved a project that not only caters to the young at heart but all those with a daring dark side too.

And I am not trying to be callous but if someone truly feels abandoned by Disney's current regime then it is ok to take your dollar elsewhere. There are many natural destinations that fit the mold of what you are losing when the River is removed.

Start your own Web site --we love Disney no matter what they do

CoasterCowboy67

They’re only worth highlighting if they have some meaning. That the Adventureland site needs a geotechnical report has nothing to with the Moana project moving forward. And while Concept Design is very early in the whole process, there’s a good chance one was done or an older one referenced from past projects.
It could have everything to do with the project moving forward or not. I mean obviously it needs one. The point is that it may have found something materially relevant to the feasibility of the project. Just as it likely did with ROA needing to be removed due to an otherwise difficult mix of problems to remediate

Calling it a foundation is a bit of a misnomer because it isn’t holding anything up. Its purpose is by-and-large aesthetic. The riverboat is free floating, so the track isn’t supporting its weight and could exist on a smaller mat or individual piers. So how is the riverbed failing? It could be leaking but so what?
Huh? The riverbed is holding up millions of gallons of water. The "free floating" riverboat is not in zero-gravity, either: it is being held up by the water that is being held up by the riverbed. It's like saying a pool's structure is only aesthetic if nothing is sitting on its surface. That would be true if it was empty. Like a pool, excessive drainage and leaks in the riverbed mean water needs to be pumped back to maintain a specific surface level, which isn't free and requires more water and a method to do so. Which is likely why they can't just shorten the river like I thought they could because it would sever a necessary connection to Seven Seas Lagoon. In addition to all of the weight the riverbed is supporting, shifts in the surrounding ground can easily transfer lateral stresses to the riverbed -- it's not all about what's directly above it.

hopemax

Knowing I am a Disney fan, two of my co-workers asked be about my thoughts on the D23 announcements. They are both into pop-culture and have visited Disney World, although neither is what I would call a "Disney fan". The did not know about the river being removed and both were shocked when I told them about that.
This is a risk that Disney is taking on. People may hear this news, and simply assume they are putting a ride on the island, and building a bridge, so no river transportation. So then, this plan is “fine.” It will still have the same general aesthetic, and familiarity, and what makes Disney, Disney.

People didn’t react well to the tacos and Stargate in the lagoon in Epcot. Made worse by the disappointments about the show. This could have a similar reaction, putting even more pressure on the quality of the ride.

Disstevefan1

This is a risk that Disney is taking on. People may hear this news, and simply assume they are putting a ride on the island, and building a bridge, so no river transportation. So then, this plan is “fine.” It will still have the same general aesthetic, and familiarity, and what makes Disney, Disney.

People didn’t react well to the tacos and Stargate in the lagoon in Epcot. Made worse by the disappointments about the show. This could have a similar reaction, putting even more pressure on the quality of the ride.
I hope, hope, hope they change their mind about this.

This is one time I wish they did their usual and presented something and then forgot about it.

SpectroMagician

No. It actually doesn’t show that. It shows the river removed. But it still shows water and waterfalls and there will be more that you can’t see from this art.

And no, the art does not in any way show “cars right outside the queue for haunted mansion.” There’s a large path and extensive landscaping on either side seperating the haunted mansion queue from the cars attractions.
Right so you confirmed that they are totally filling in the existing water, while maybe adding some new stuff, but the actual whole river is gone.

Then you also confirmed that it is right outside the queue for Haunted mansion because right now there is a water and there is going to be a path and then the ride. So exactly what I said you are confirming.

peter11435

Right so you confirmed that they are totally filling in the existing water, while maybe adding some new stuff, but the actual whole river is gone.

Then you also confirmed that it is right outside the queue for Haunted mansion because right now there is a water and there is going to be a path and then the ride. So exactly what I said you are confirming.
No. I’m saying they are filling in the existing river. That does not mean there will be no water in the new land. Because there will be.

And cars will not be going by the haunted mansion. There will be substantial separation as I pointed out. You won’t see cars from the haunted mansion

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom