News Cars-Themed Attractions at Magic Kingdom

Jrb1979

To go along with this…. I grew up going to Disney with Tom Sawyer Island ( despite not going much as an adult) and ROA are very nostalgic to me… my wife went to WDW for the first time 20 years after we met… when I told her about this… she said that is great…. They needed to replace Tom Sawyer island… she has also said doozies like Splash Mountain needed a new theme it felt dated and The Country Bears needed updates as it felt like an older Chuck E Cheese
Sure update old attractions. Why can't they put new attractions that fit the theme of the area?

danlb_2000

Premium Member
You mean 'well into' 2025, not 2026, correct?

I think the question is 'When are they going to drain the river?' because thats when, to everyone, it will look like work is going on. And I don't think its clear in the current permit whether or not they need to drain the river before they do the water management work.

Well into 2025. The current permit isn't for the actual project, so I assume we will see a future permit for the actual work that is going to be done.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Besides it being themed to 'early American colony', there isn't much besides HoP thats 'about' America. There's not much meant to educate or experience other than the theming.
If they close HoP, they can put A.I. in the AAs and have them do CM duties like staff the entrance tapstyles.

Oh, hi Mr. Lincoln, my husband has the child's MagicBand, he had to run back to the hotel to get it.

Mr. Lincoln: Ma'am, a house divided cannot enter.

lentesta

Premium Member
My point was if it were more thematically appropriate in Magic Kingdom and Frontierland, I’d be more in favour.

Cars certainly deserves a ride or land at Disney World, but why not put it in Hollywood Studios.

And while it isn’t at all what Disney likes to do these days, it would be better to base attractions off of more established properties that we know will be reasonably popular well into the future (and Pocahontas could well get a live-action remake at some point). Cars has performed well in the past, and the first film at least should be popular well into the future, though Cars 3 didn’t perform well at the box office, and so might any subsequent sequels.

I see your point.

I think Disney thinks these are its constraints:
  • Frontierland is no longer a viable concept. Americans haven't watched family-friendly Westerns, as a genre, in TV or movies in probably sixty years.
  • New rides have to be attached to a commercially viable IP franchise to reduce risk
  • New Lightning Lane revenue is a key consideration for future development
We can argue all day about whether those should be the constraints. But for the sake of argument, can we accept those as more or less the things Disney thinks are true?

Here are the top-grossing Disney IP from that list above, and their approximate revenue. I'm not sure how up to date it is for any particular franchise:
  • Mickey Mouse ($61.2B)
  • Winnie the Pooh ($48.5B)
  • Star Wars ($46.7B)
  • Disney Princesses ($45.4B)
  • The Marvel MCU ($32.9B)
  • Spider-Man ($25.5B)
  • Cars ($21.5B)
  • The Lion King ($15.2B)
  • Toy Story ($14.8B)
  • Avengers ($14.3B)
  • Frozen ($13.9B)
  • Pirates of the Caribbean ($7.9B)
  • Muppets/Sesame Street ($7.7B)
  • X-Men ($7B)
  • Ice Age ($6.4B)
  • Beauty and the Beast ($3.52B)
  • Iron Man ($2.9B)
  • Guardians of the Galaxy ($2.71B)
  • Indiana Jones ($2.6B)
Let's cross out on the list the things Disney can't build in Florida (e.g., Marvel), and highlight in red the ones that already have substantial presence somewhere else in WDW.

The ones in green are the ones left to choose from, using the criteria above:
  • Mickey Mouse ($61.2B) - Hollywood Studios
  • Winnie the Pooh ($48.5B) - Magic Kingdom
  • Star Wars ($46.7B) - Hollywood Studios
  • Disney Princesses ($45.4B) - Magic Kingdom
  • Spider-Man ($25.5B)
  • Cars ($21.5B)
  • The Lion King ($15.2B) - Animal Kingdom
  • Toy Story ($14.8B) - Hollywood Studios
  • Avengers ($14.3B)
  • Frozen ($13.9B) - EPCOT, Hollywood Studios
  • Pirates of the Caribbean ($7.9B) - Magic Kingdom
  • Muppets/Sesame Street ($7.7B) - Hollywood Studios
  • X-Men ($7B)
  • Ice Age ($6.4B)
  • Avatar ($5.78B) - Animal Kingdom
  • Beauty and the Beast ($3.52B) - Magic Kingdom, Hollywood Studios
  • Iron Man ($2.9B)
  • Guardians of the Galaxy ($2.71B) - EPCOT
  • Indiana Jones ($2.6B) - Hollywood Studios, Animal Kingdom
That helps understand what's happening here, right?

Edit: X-Men crossed out b/c Universal

Last edited:

psherman42

Wouldn't it be weird if everyone waited to see before they judged it? How do you all know that it won't have water, or shade, or kinetic energy?

You're getting yourselves all worked up about something that's already been decided and may end up being a good thing. Hit the pause button and bring the outrage back in 2029 if this is terrible.
Because *maybe a waterfall and a stream cannot replace what is already there. And *maybe having water and shade also doesn’t solve the other issue which is cars does not belong in Frontierland.

Nevermore525

I see your point.

• Frontierland is no longer a viable concept. Americans haven't watched family-friendly Westerns, as a genre, in TV or movies in probably sixty years.
  • New rides have to be attached to a commercially viable IP franchise to reduce risk
We can argue all day about whether those should be the constraints. But for the sake of argument, can we accept those as more or less the things Disney thinks are true?

Here are the top-grossing Disney IP from that list above, and their approximate revenue. I'm not sure how up to date it is for any particular franchise:
  • Mickey Mouse ($61.2B)
  • Star Wars ($46.7B)
  • Spider-Man ($25.5B)
  • Cars ($21.5B)
  • The Lion King ($15.2B)
  • Toy Story ($14.8B)
  • Avengers ($14.3B)
  • Frozen ($13.9B)
  • X-Men ($7B)
  • Ice Age ($6.4B)
  • Iron Man ($2.9B)
  • Indiana Jones ($2.6B)
Let's cross out on the list the things Disney can't build in Florida (e.g., Marvel), and highlight in red the ones that already have substantial presence somewhere else in WDW.

• Spider-Man ($25.5B)
  • Cars ($21.5B)
  • Avengers ($14.3B)
  • X-Men ($7B)
  • Ice Age ($6.4B)
  • Iron Man ($2.9B)
Can probably cross out X-men too with many X-Men characters being on display in Universal Studios.

fractal

One of my favorite spots for photos. Really bummed it's going to be gone forever.

DSC01943-X3.jpg

DSC00719-X3.jpg

DSC00687-X3.jpg

DSC00708-X3.jpg

FettFan

That makes sense. I thought they'd want it back further in the parking lot to not impact star wars sightlines too much. But maybe a grey blob isn't that big of a concern

I was expecting them to replace IJ Stunt Spectacular for Monsters Inc.

1. It’s a large enough plot of land on its own.

2. It can be expanded with demolition of the office buildings between it and the parking lot.

3. The neighboring Backlot Express could become “Harryhausens”

Added bonus: Dinosaur Gertie would blend in well with Monstropolis, (after all, Mike and Sully’s college professor was essentially a dinosaur) making her a transition point between Echo Lake and Monstropolis.

Sneaky

I was expecting them to replace IJ Stunt Spectacular for Monsters Inc.

1. It’s a large enough plot of land on its own.

2. It can be expanded with demolition of the office buildings between it and the parking lot.

3. The neighboring Backlot Express could become “Harryhausens”

Added bonus: Dinosaur Gertie would blend in well with Monstropolis, (after all, Mike and Sully’s college professor was essentially a dinosaur) making her a transition point between Echo Lake and Monstropolis.
I woudo be down, but knowing Disney they probably retheme all of echo lake, including prime time cafe and all that. (Echo lake kidna is a werid zone tho tbh). It is the play id do tbh, Indy becomes monsters.

Jrb1979

I see your point.

• Mickey Mouse ($61.2B)
  • Star Wars ($46.7B)
  • Spider-Man ($25.5B)
  • Cars ($21.5B)
  • The Lion King ($15.2B)
  • Toy Story ($14.8B)
  • Avengers ($14.3B)
  • Frozen ($13.9B)
  • X-Men ($7B)
  • Ice Age ($6.4B)
  • Iron Man ($2.9B)
  • Indiana Jones ($2.6B)

• Spider-Man ($25.5B)
  • Cars ($21.5B)
  • Avengers ($14.3B)
  • X-Men ($7B)
  • Ice Age ($6.4B)
  • Iron Man ($2.9B)
I think most understand what's going on and how those in Burbank run the parks. They look at attractions with dollar signs and ROI.

What I don't understand is why the move away from the uniqueness of each park. When I first started going to the parks back in the 80s and 90s. Each park had a unique theme and the attractions in those parks fit the theme. Why can't keep their IP mandate but make it fit the parks they go in.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom