News Cars-Themed Attractions at Magic Kingdom

SoFloMagic

I don’t see how the coaster fits without being on the MV plot and behind it. It’s pretty compact but coasters still need a good deal of space.
That makes sense. I thought they'd want it back further in the parking lot to not impact star wars sightlines too much. But maybe a grey blob isn't that big of a concern

danlb_2000

Premium Member
If this is going to be starting in earnest next year, I also cannot imagine it taking until
2029. I know the post shutdown situation was crazy, but I have to imagine they’ll speed things back to a normal pace?

Depends on how ready they are to build the actual land. The water management work called out in the current permit will probably take well into next year and I don't expect other work to start until that work is done.

ToTBellHop

If you take out Mama Melrose (and the main store), you could build the door coaster on backstage area space and keep the MV theater intact. You'd have to redirect the perimeter road, but that's a relatively trivial thing to do.
But why would they do that? The land will have dining and merchandise. The most reasonable thing to do is convert existing dining and merch into new dining and merch. They aren’t going to use the entire space for two attractions but no dining or merch.

I do think there is TOO MUCH merch back there so there’s room to remove or convert some of that. But the park needs a TSR and QSR here. Let’s hope the theming is strong.

ToTBellHop

That makes sense. I thought they'd want it back further in the parking lot to not impact star wars sightlines too much. But maybe a grey blob isn't that big of a concern
I think it all goes in here:
1723640746391.png

But this is the wrong thread so best end here.

Last edited:

mickEblu

This seems to me like someone is who actually informed on the subject speaking about how we got here. It does actually line up with talking points I’ve heard for several years now about the actual physical state of the river itself, the consequences of the way it was built, and the logistical and operational issues associated with those issues. If someone here with more knowledge refutes, by all means do it, but this all makes sense to me and I’ve been hearing about problems with the river bed for awhile.

Do they not know their fan base though? Why would they choose the concept art that doesn’t show a drop of water?

LSLS

But why would they do that? The land will have dining and merchandise. The most reasonable thing to do is convert existing dining and merch into new dining and merch. They aren’t going to use the entire space for two attractions but no dining or merch.

I do think there is TOO MUCH merch back there so there’s room to remove or convert some of that. But the park needs a TSR and QSR here. Let’s hope the theming is strong.
Also, redirecting the perimeter road would mean taking out a large section of cast member parking.

Plus, I highly doubt they would rather have a theater show (that will generate very little LL revenue or bring people to that area) instead of major dining and retail. Again, remember this is the company eliminating anything nostalgic if it's not making max profits for LL.

Kamikaze

Depends on how ready they are to build the actual land. The water management work called out in the current permit will probably take well into next year and I don't expect other work to start until that work is done.
You mean 'well into' 2025, not 2026, correct?

I think the question is 'When are they going to drain the river?' because thats when, to everyone, it will look like work is going on. And I don't think its clear in the current permit whether or not they need to drain the river before they do the water management work.

Last edited:

Sneaky

Plus, I highly doubt they would rather have a theater show (that will generate very little LL revenue or bring people to that area) instead of major dining and retail. Again, remember this is the company eliminating anything nostalgic if it's not making max profits for LL.
I feel like we should all be thankful imagineering was successfully able to fight for figment and the country bear’s existences

Kamikaze

Also, redirecting the perimeter road would mean taking out a large section of cast member parking.

Overreact much?

They're literally building a Walt AA and putting in a turntable so they can show the current Lincoln show (which always draws only small crowds) while also having the Walt show. If that isn't a nostalgia play, I don't know what is.

DisneyRoxMySox

This seems to me like someone is who actually informed on the subject speaking about how we got here. It does actually line up with talking points I’ve heard for several years now about the actual physical state of the river itself, the consequences of the way it was built, and the logistical and operational issues associated with those issues. If someone here with more knowledge refutes, by all means do it, but this all makes sense to me and I’ve been hearing about problems with the river bed for awhile.

He also said “Frontierland sucks.” so. 🤷‍♂️

Jrb1979

Wouldn't it be weird if everyone waited to see before they judged it? How do you all know that it won't have water, or shade, or kinetic energy?

You're getting yourselves all worked up about something that's already been decided and may end up being a good thing. Hit the pause button and bring the outrage back in 2029 if this is terrible.
It may look amazing and will probably be a good ride. That's not the problem or why many or upset. At least for me it's not what's leaving or Cars coming but it's another shift towards taking the parks theme out the park.

I understand those in charge don't care as for them all attractions are now is dollar signs. What I don't understand is why so many fans just don't care about a parks theme any more.

Sneaky

There's something potentially being announced possibly as soon as next Destination D23 just as work starts on RoA that can be open as early as late 2026 to soften the blow for fans for another park. It'll be a fan favorite if it happens.

Disney has plans for 2026. I've heard some stuff, others have heard some stuff. Let's see where stuff happens.

Stuff.
If this does happen it’ll hit like crack. It’s a shame though that if you know what finally happens, it’ll be a move of “hey, we know we’ve made you angry and taken things away, here’s something back to make it up to you”. But it’ll be a good constellation prize.

Incomudro

Wouldn't it be weird if everyone waited to see before they judged it? How do you all know that it won't have water, or shade, or kinetic energy?

You're getting yourselves all worked up about something that's already been decided and may end up being a good thing. Hit the pause button and bring the outrage back in 2029 if this is terrible.
We know based on recent experience on what Disney promises vs what they deliver.
Additionally, no matter what they physically construct - it's not going to be remotely on the scale of the waterways they are paving over.
Disney hasn't been all that great a keeping the water features they do construct working reliably either.
If they constructed this land on the other side of the river, my opinion of what they are doing would be quite different.
I love Cars.

LSLS

Overreact much?

They're literally building a Walt AA and putting in a turntable so they can show the current Lincoln show (which always draws only small crowds) while also having the Walt show. If that isn't a nostalgia play, I don't know what is.
Honestly, not sure I am completely, but I'd be fine if you just eliminate "Nostagic" from the line. How about "Again, remember this is the company eliminating anything if it's not making max profits for LL." Still gets my same point across that they aren't going to eliminate money making places for attractions they can't put a paid line skip on. If they could add it, maybe.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

DKampy

People on this site are just very, very against change.

I can sympathize with those who mourned the loss of Splash Mountain as that was a top 5 attraction and as iconic as Pirates of the Carribbean, the Haunted Mansion and it's a Small World. But I have a hard time believing there are that many die-hard Tom Sawyer Island fans. Hardly anyone goes on Tom Sawyer's Island and I doubt the average person would even know what the Rivers of America is when discussing theme parks. The Cars retheme announcement is something that will really only bother hyper-online parks fans.

Personally I like Tom Sawyer (the novel and its adaptaions) much more than I like Cars, but from a business standpoint this retheme is a no brainer. You are freeing up 10-12 acres that park guests rarely utilize and giving the crowds multiple major e-tickets in their place (cause removing the island also enhances access to the villain land).
To go along with this…. I grew up going to Disney with Tom Sawyer Island ( despite not going much as an adult) and ROA are very nostalgic to me… my wife went to WDW for the first time 20 years after we met… when I told her about this… she said that is great…. They needed to replace Tom Sawyer island… she has also said doozies like Splash Mountain needed a new theme it felt dated and The Country Bears needed updates as it felt like an older Chuck E Cheese

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom