News Cars-Themed Attractions at Magic Kingdom

doctornick

Poll question:

If this ride was not attached to the cars ip, but was rather called “mickeys off road racing”, and the cars were skinned to be old classic looking cars with the same racing wilderness theme would there be less back lash?

Or is this all to do with getting rid of the boat and river ?

Are they still unnecessarily removing the river and the thematic integrity it provides? Then yes it is still a problem.

I am not a fan of the Cars IP being used in the area, but I do believe the concept art looks nice and will be a good addition. It just needs a river to be between that area and Liberty Sq and the Frontierland town.

doctornick

Nah, it's definitely about the loss of the RoA/TSI. If they were so adamant on putting Cars into the Magic Kingdom, as weird of a fit as it is, there was literally ample space behind Big Thunder Mountain to put it without sacrificing the soul of that side of the park...

Also, it would have fit better being only next to BTMRR and a continuation of that design as opposed to Liberty Square and the riverside town part of Frontierland that do not share the same features.

DarkMetroid567

And at the end of the day people still trash it because none of that really matters. Shame really.
This is it. I don’t really care about the IP vs Original arguments, and I do feel bad for people sad to lose TSI and RoA. What bothers me is the moral superiority this thread has taken — arguments that fans don’t know what they want, that Disney hates the RoA or hates America, that the Imagineers are malicious, that closing a project is a personal offense to Walt or Jim Henson or whomever, or that dedicated fans deserve more say than whatever the general public wants.

And then it turns out, they were wrong. At the end of the day, they’ll eat up the same slop as the general public.

James Alucobond

It just needs a river to be between that area and Liberty Sq and the Frontierland town.
The concept art at least makes it look like there will be a stream that flows down from Piston Peak and winds around the old boardwalk, possibly emptying out into the river by Thunder Mountain. We’ll see. Hard to tell what’s going on over by the Haunted Mansion, though. 🤷🏻‍♂️

KDM31091

This is it. I don’t really care about the IP vs Original arguments, and I do feel bad for people sad to lose TSI and RoA. What bothers me is the moral superiority this thread has taken — arguments that fans don’t know what they want, that Disney hates the RoA or hates America, that the Imagineers are malicious, that closing a project is a personal offense to Walt or Jim Henson or whomever, or that dedicated fans deserve more say than whatever the general public wants.

And then it turns out, they were wrong. At the end of the day, they’ll eat up the same slop as the general public.
As a dedicated fan, I find almost all of my time visiting the parks is dedicated to classic attractions. Mansion, Peoplemover, Carousel of Progress, Pirates, Jungle Cruise, etc in MK; Spaceship Earth, Living with the Land, Figment in Epcot, etc.Rarely am I stampeding to the latest IP attraction.

Captain Neo

So...everyone complains that Disney needs to be more like Universal.
They are in the same IP business. Epic U, except for the central coaster, is ALL IPs.

Cars, as a franchise, is still making lots of money for Disney. Carsland is the most popular land in DCA.
The original film made 10 billion in merch sales and they are still releasing new lines of Cars in toy stores.

Guardians is considered the best Marvel Trilogy and a classic. Its not going away.

Star Wars has been around since 1977 and the land can be easily converted to any timeline, which you can see the beginnings of with the Mandalorian added to MF:SR

Disney does a LOT of research and crunches a lot of numbers before choosing the IPs to put in their parks.

Clearly not enough. The version of the guardians that’s in Epcot will never be a thing again it was just a moment in time like Back to the future. In 5 years the theme of the attraction will be as dated as Captain EO is now

And you completely misunderstood what I wrote about Star Wars.

Advisable Joseph

You are operating under the incorrect assumption that these 2 updates are the only thing planned for that area in the future. The assumption that Cars and Villains are the complete plans would allow one to conceive an alternate plan that keeps TSI/ROA. Disney has not shared the complete plans for that portion of the park.

TSI/ROA isn’t being removed because they can’t figure out a way to make it fit with Cars and Villains. It’s being removed because it doesn’t fit with the overall plan which will be shared TBD.
Is this based on insider info, or just inferences based on what we know?

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Idk if anyone is saying it yet but they are Literally Paving Paradise
1723583623594.gif

UNCgolf

I’m sure this discussion is worn out already, but “can” is a real technicality. The only ways you’ll ever be seeing the RoA from Liberty Square are if you’re getting on the Liberty Belle, entering the HM queue, or going out of your way to look at it from the edge.

Although I disagree to an extent (I think it's pretty easy to see the water from the majority of Liberty Square), my point was really that you know it's there and it's an integral part of the design of the area. I don't think you have to be specifically looking at it or even seeing it -- again, the World Showcase is similar. You're not really seeing the water from any of the pavilions, and even if you're walking around it, it's just kind of there to the side whereas everything to really look at is away from the water on the right.

But I don't think many people would disagree that the World Showcase would be fundamentally altered if the lagoon was filled in.

That said, I think I do think it's easier for Disney to change the existing FL/LS waterfront area to account for the changes than it would be to fix the World Showcase if the lagoon was eliminated. It could end up being a moot issue at the Magic Kingdom once they've finished whatever they have planned, especially since there have been indications that Liberty Square as a whole will be overhauled.

Last edited:

Quietmouse

I believe he said somewhere earlier in this thread that they have a plan for the expansion bbt. If they would've put cars and villains there it would've blocked any more expansion in the area.

With villains and cars taking over the River, and what ever lies bbt…could magic kingdom become almost too big ? It’s already nearing a 2 day park based off how busy it is…adding cars, villains and any more potential land could easily put magic kingdom in a 3 day park territory.

phillip9698

Is this based on insider info, or just inferences based on what we know?

Both.

A couple insiders here have hinted already (they aren’t doing it loudly though) and some on other boards as well.

It’s also just history and sense. Whenever new plans are teased for any park, the wishful park planners always pull out google maps and start spraying colors everywhere, using up as much expansion pad space as possible. But that almost never comes to fruition. Disney nor Universal wants to use 100% of their available space at once, they have to hold it for the future.

It is going to pain people to hear this but just know…………..there are expansion pads at each of these parks that you will not live to see put in use. Sorry.

the_rich

With villains and cars taking over the River, and what ever lies bbt…could magic kingdom become almost too big ? It’s already nearing a 2 day park based off how busy it is…adding cars, villains and any more potential land could easily put magic kingdom in a 3 day park territory.
I mean it's always been more than one day for me..I'll be at wdw in 10 days. One day in each park plus the Halloween party on my ak day.

UNCgolf

The numbers are more or less correct. Obviously changed a bit since that was written. But they're close enough.

And 70 years is a large amount of time to build up a lead.

It's not really 70 years, though -- especially not in terms of merchandising. It's probably more like 15-20 years realistically, considering there were only 3 Disney princesses until Ariel in 1989, and they weren't really pumping out a ton of merchandise until this century.

Still a head start, but saying 70 years feels misleading.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom