News Cars-Themed Attractions at Magic Kingdom

Wall-e

The park has to evolve to be relevant 20-30 years from now. This is part of it. Kids and families barely have a desire to go on these rides now. But 20 years from now Cars/Jeep ride could be a park icon that draws people to the park. Aside from a few diehards the same cannot be said about TSI and the Liberty Belle.

And while I wish this area could remain as a walkway to new lands Beyond BTM the reality is it already takes a while to walk from the hub to BTM, they need something to give Villians Land more connectivity to the rest of the park.

Disney Glimpses

The park has to evolve to be relevant 20-30 years from now. This is part of it. Kids and families barely have a desire to go on these rides now. But 20 years from now Cars/Jeep ride could be a park icon that draws people to the park. Aside from a few diehards the same cannot be said about TSI and the Liberty Belle.

And while I wish this area could remain as a walkway to new lands Beyond BTM the reality is it already takes a while to walk from the hub to BTM, they need something to give Villians Land more connectivity to the rest of the park.
This is absolutely a reality that many of us need to face. It just means that the very, very unique Disney parks that we came to love dearly will be a distant memory. We're already seeing that happen; it's just happening faster and at a bigger scale.

RobbinsDad

Turning the Liberty Belle into a restaurant isn’t some simple undertaking. At a minimum you need a kitchen facility somewhere and a way to quickly move food over and keep it hot and protected. Even then, you’d only be able to have service on decks that can be directly accessed by ramp. If you have dining on the upper level then it needs to be accessible, so you have to add an elevator which is a significant change.
It could be converted pretty easily into a snack spot/gift shop though, and a pretty cool thing to walk around on, even if it's stationary.

Kamikaze

Just so we're al clear: if the leadership at Disney is willing to do this, they are willing to do much, much more.

At risk of sounding ultra-dramatic, it truly is over. And I don't mean that these parks can't be enjoyed by families (they will be). Nor do I mean that every historic aspect of these parks will be gone overnight.

What I mean is that today's dopamine addicted society has convinced Disney that the historic values and ideas that were the bedrock of these parks are no longer important or valuable. I don't know how long it will be but one day, every last facet of these ideas will be gone and Walt Disney World will be indistinguishable from Universal Orlando. My guess is about 20 years left before it's all gone.
Old and 'historic' are not synonyms.

I think you're leaning more towards 'iconic' than historic. Which, yes, all three features being removed can be described as iconic. But TSI is probably the least visited attraction at MK, just because its so difficult to get to. So I can definitely see why they want to maximize/monitize that space.

Bocabear

That is ironic...and I wonder how relevant Cars will even be in 30 years... Basing everything on the latest trendy IP is not always the best idea...it is too specific. That was what worked well about the design of the Disney parks.. The fabric of it was not specific IP but themes and ideas...

castlecake2.0

I think the main issue was the park was designed almost perfectly for the amount of guests it thought would have for its first ten years, but as they added things they blocked themselves in. Haunted mansions queue has no room to expand and there’s no way to get around it without touching the river. Big thunder and splash blocked any major path way on the other side. Now you’re stuck with a giant, albeit beautiful, river blocking any further expansion west.

Horizonsfan

I’m still in the wait-and-see camp for this; but I am struck by the ineptitude of the marketing operation. The marketing/comms people seemingly don’t know how to massage controversial news to fans.

Given that the controversy here is primarily about loss of atmosphere, they could have commissioned a rendering or two of the current river boardwalk area. Give us an idea of how the area would feel post-rebuild. If they showed something on par with the grizzly peak falls or Fantasy Springs entry, that could quell a lot of displeasure.

Kamikaze

Turning the Liberty Belle into a restaurant isn’t some simple undertaking. At a minimum you need a kitchen facility somewhere and a way to quickly move food over and keep it hot and protected. Even then, you’d only be able to have service on decks that can be directly accessed by ramp. If you have dining on the upper level then it needs to be accessible, so you have to add an elevator which is a significant change.
This isn't accurate. All seats don't have to be ADA compliant, you just have to have ADA compliance available for those that need it. For example at an arena, not all seats are ADA compliant, just the designated areas.

Kamikaze

I’m still in the wait-and-see camp for this; but I am struck by the ineptitude of the marketing operation. The marketing/comms people seemingly don’t know how to massage controversial news to fans.

Given that the controversy here is primarily about loss of atmosphere, they could have commissioned a rendering or two of the current river boardwalk area. Give us an idea of how the area would feel post-rebuild. If they showed something on par with the grizzly peak falls or Fantasy Springs entry, that could quell a lot of displeasure.
They know exactly what they were doing, its why they didn't show the art or file the permits until D23 had ended. They knew it would be a huge controversy.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom