News Cars-Themed Attractions at Magic Kingdom

James Alucobond

I’m still in the wait-and-see camp for this; but I am struck by the ineptitude of the marketing operation. The marketing/comms people seemingly don’t know how to massage controversial news to fans.

Given that the controversy here is primarily about loss of atmosphere, they could have commissioned a rendering or two of the current river boardwalk area. Give us an idea of how the area would feel post-rebuild. If they showed something on par with the grizzly peak falls or Fantasy Springs entry, that could quell a lot of displeasure.
I tend to agree with this. Since we see that at least a corner of the boardwalk survives, getting a rendering from a few different angles would be much appreciated.

Phroobar

Over on the Disneyland side we freaked out about having our ROA shortened and narrowed for that "cancerous growth" . People threatened to never renew their annual pass or to never step foot in it because of that they did to the river. You guys are losing the ENTIRE THING and some of you are good with that for a ride that never works in the rain. Good thing it doesn't rain in Florida.

Last edited:

Tha Realest

Not being combative here so I don’t want it to come off that way because I really do have empathy for folks who are saddened by this news. But just a real question.

For folks who are excited with this announcement, and there are a lot of us, what does this mean for us. That we are like the people in charge and we just don’t care or worse, that we just “don’t get it”?

Because I get it- I just happen to disagree. I believe this is what the park needs and I think, based on the concept art, that it’s going to look amazing. I obviously could end up being wrong and we all know how reliable concept art is.

I guess my point is that for us, the people in charge made the right decision….for now.
I appreciate your comment and do not take it as combative. I think there are things to look forward to here with this. I am not lamenting the loss, necessarily, of TSI. I think dropping Cars land - which I think will be BEAUTIFUL; I adore Carsland DCA - against the backdrop of what’s there already just feels very incongruent. Then the solution becomes, what do we now need to do to change LS and HM and all those areas to mesh well with Cars land.

I don’t begrudge anyone for being excited and hopeful. In my mind, it’s not worth getting worked up over because some of us seem to care about certain aspects of this stuff more than the designers themselves.

Wall-e

This is absolutely a reality that many of us need to face. It just means that the very, very unique Disney parks that we came to love dearly will be a distant memory. We're already seeing that happen; it's just happening faster and at a bigger scale.
There’s many who are ok with losing ROA/TSI but don’t want to lose the atmosphere/ambiance (which I am right there with) of the current path/area BUT I believe the new area will have its own enjoyable atmosphere that new visitors and old will come to love.

And for those wondering about the theme of Harbor house and Liberty Square as it relates to the new area I think it’s an opportunity to expand the Haunted Mansion area to make it something more (HM Lounge anyone???).

I for one have one remaining concern, what will become of the other adjacent major Disney River…the River of Poo(h)?

Kamikaze

Over on the Disneyland side we freaked out about having our ROA shortened and narrowed for that "cancerous growth" . People threatened to never renew their annual pass or to never step foot in it because of that they did to the river. You guys are losing the ENTIRE THING and you're good with that for a ride that never works in the rain. Good thing it doesn't rain in Florida.
Uh, I don't think you read the thread.

Tha Realest

And what hurts the most is they knew this would be unpopular. They knew it’d be controversial which is why they didn’t announce it at d23. They knew it’d be unpopular and they don’t care. They’re going to plow ahead anyway.
Thank goodness he didn’t announce what was leaving. The response to this real time was tepid at best; watch the video and you can see Josh kind of surprised there wasn’t a big pop.

Starship824

In the Parks
No
People clutching their pearls over something that no one gave a crap about until yesterday is comical. Tom Sawyer island is a ghost town. The riverboat is only used by people killing time until their actual fun ride is available.
People on these boards have been asking insiders and trying to find out if the ROA are going away because they were concerned and cared and love for the ROA. Saying "one one gave crap about" the ROA when people were concerned and asking about it for months on here is a bold face lie.

lazyboy97o

This isn't accurate. All seats don't have to be ADA compliant, you just have to have ADA compliance available for those that need it. For example at an arena, not all seats are ADA compliant, just the designated areas.
All seats don’t but all spaces do. In an arena the accessible seats have to be dispersed across all of the different sections and boxes. In a hotel the accessible rooms have to be dispersed across different categories like view type. In a restaurant the various dining spaces and rooms have to be accessible.

It’s also not just accessibility that would limit operations to certain levels. Steep, narrow stairs are not conducive to food service.

Horizonsfan

They know exactly what they were doing, it’s why they didn't show the art or file the permits until D23 had ended. They knew it would be a huge controversy.
I’m not saying they didn’t know it’d be a controversy, they clearly did.

I’m saying they don’t know how to manage a fan controversy.

There’s renderings they could create that could mitigate a lot of concerns. Their lack of production makes me question their communication capabilities.

Last edited:

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
I still have doubts on whether this will actually happen or not.

The fact that this is the more costlier option seems like it could be an easy budget cut if things don’t align financially at years end.

I am not sure how things are lately, but 10 years ago it was so common place to hear something announced and then disappear from existence a year later.

Again, not sure if this is past that stage or not, but I have to wonder if there a some higher up execs who control the purse strings that are weary of signing off to this project entirely still due to being the most costly option.
It is very much in motion and will definitely go forward.

lightningtap347

Is it that difficult for you to believe that there are people that feel differently than you? The answer is we must all be paid? The island and river is not something my family and I care about and we’ve been going for 40 years. Im excited for something new and that doesn’t mean I’m paid by Disney.
On the contrary, I would LOVE to be on Disney's payroll to tell people that underutilized and unpopular space in the worlds most trafficked theme park needs to be updated.

Bob, if you're here - you know where to send the check ;)

Kamikaze

There are posts that are good with it.,
And? Some people were perfectly fine with DL's changes as well. Not everyone feels the same.

Some people are fine with TSI going away but not so much with the River. There's a difference, but if you aren't reading everything it might seem that they're cool with the entire project.

Not that it matters, because its going to happen either way, and you ever speak with your wallet and not attend, or live with it and move on.

Tha Realest

One of the truly bizarre dynamics of attraction closures in the Disney fan community is the glee that comes out not regarding something new but others losing something they appreciate and enjoy. It’s like there is some sort of resentment that people enjoy something they do not, especially if it is not a marquee experience, as though it’s some sort of undue deference. A weird jealously that those people are undeserving but being given special treatment and now the undeserving are being out in their place.
Great points. I haven’t experienced the railroad in quite some time. It clearly causes operational and construction headaches time and time again. It likely has a low throughout capacity and expensive to operate. I couldn’t imagine exulting if they chose to get rid of it given how much it means to so many people.

Kamikaze

All seats don’t but all spaces do. In an arena the accessible seats have to be dispersed across all of the different sections and boxes. In a hotel the accessible rooms have to be dispersed across different categories like view type. In a restaurant the various dining spaces and rooms have to be accessible.

It’s also not just accessibility that would limit operations to certain levels. Steep, narrow stairs are not conducive to food service.
Again, this is not accurate.

There’s renderings they could mitigate a lot of concerns. Their lack of production or release makes me question their communication capabilities.
Or - they didn't create/show the art because they knew it wouldn't help.

Wall-e

There’s renderings they could mitigate a lot of concerns. Their lack of production or release makes me question their communication capabilities.

Do you know for fact that there are more renderings that show this? I pointed out very early that the entire area is going to have what looks like a scenic overlook with many water elements above and below.

If there are I hope they release them soon.

Surferboy567

People on these boards have been asking insiders and trying to find out if the ROA are going away because they were concerned and cared and love for the ROA. Saying "one one gave crap about" the ROA when people were concerned and asking about it for months on here is a bold face lie.
I don’t care personally about TSL in particular, in fact I welcome its removal. I also am fine with rivers being removed I’m confident these new attractions would be excellent. I care more about the rivers then I do TSL, however the trade off should in theory be worth it.

Clearly though, people don’t share the same thoughts as me and that’s fine. Definitely though, people care and it’s a lie to say otherwise. I’m pretty excited though for all the new announcements.

Phroobar

And? Some people were perfectly fine with DL's changes as well. Not everyone feels the same.

Some people are fine with TSI going away but not so much with the River. There's a difference, but if you aren't reading everything it might seem that they're cool with the entire project.

Not that it matters, because its going to happen either way, and you ever speak with your wallet and not attend, or live with it and move on.
That's the other part of it. When it comes to speaking with their wallet, people still showed up and continue to renew no matter what happens to park even though they threaten the opposite. I wonder when the Castle Coaster is going in?

iu

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom