News Cars-Themed Attractions at Magic Kingdom

lazyboy97o

There is some water still over by BTM... It's techically possible for them to dock it by Tiana's and make a new Riverboat restaraunt of some sort right outside of Tiana's if they don't want to go with Peco's?
Turning the Liberty Belle into a restaurant isn’t some simple undertaking. At a minimum you need a kitchen facility somewhere and a way to quickly move food over and keep it hot and protected. Even then, you’d only be able to have service on decks that can be directly accessed by ramp. If you have dining on the upper level then it needs to be accessible, so you have to add an elevator which is a significant change.

Lou Filerman

People clutching their pearls over something that no one gave a crap about until yesterday is comical. Tom Sawyer island is a ghost town. The riverboat is only used by people killing time until their actual fun ride is available.

Disney does not and should not make rides for a few hundred people on wdwmagic. They make rides based on what the general public wants. And the general public wants rides like this. Virtual queue will be sold out in seconds and the ILL will sell out just as fast for these new rides. This is how companies should be run, appealing to the masses vs the small fandom of wdwmagic.

psherman42

I see a few waterfalls. It’s a bit fuzzy on purpose, and don’t think this art commits them to specifics of that nature. I bet they’d make a waterfall ala Grizzly Peak at DCA

I don’t think they’re ripping the soul of the park per se, but I do think it’s a signature design feature of the park, especially the ability to see Splash Mountain TBA and Big Thunder from a distance. DHS and DAK have plenty of unused spaces, not even for aesthetic purposes, that address much bigger capacity and attraction count issues. ROA was one of the only ones in a park that is already pretty efficient about using all available space for small attractions. I wouldn’t mind if ROA had been removed if other way-more-obvious spaces at other parks had been efficiently used first.

And I think they could've easily cut ROA in half to maintain its purpose in FL & LS while using the back for more practical access to Villains
Which is part of the problem. They’re fuzzy because they probably know when budget cuts hit they’ll be the first to go. Just like the fountain in World Celebration (which for what it’s worth, I actually think overall is an improvement over what was there before. Which should tell people something about how willing I am to defend Disney) This just feels like a massive miss. RoA is a feature of every castle park around the world, it is part of what makes the parks special. And they’re just going to pave over it. And for Cars. I’ll admit the area looks nice, if it actually ends up looking like the concept art (which it won’t because it never does). But put it literally *anywhere else.

People can do whatever mental gymnastics they want to justify putting cars in between Liberty square, Frontierland, and HM but to me it makes no sense.

And what hurts the most is they knew this would be unpopular. They knew it’d be controversial which is why they didn’t announce it at d23. They knew it’d be unpopular and they don’t care. They’re going to plow ahead anyway.

I have no actual hope of this happening but it’s the first time I’ve actually wished for a project to get scaled back from the concept art. Scale it back to keep the front of the river and LB and build behind.

Incomudro

People clutching their pearls over something that no one gave a crap about until yesterday is comical. Tom Sawyer island is a ghost town. The riverboat is only used by people killing time until their actual fun ride is available.

Disney does not and should not make rides for a few hundred people on wdwmagic. They make rides based on what the general public wants. And the general public wants rides like this. Virtual queue will be sold out in seconds and the ILL will sell out just as fast for these new rides. This is how companies should be run, appealing to the masses vs the small fandom of wdwmagic.
You're the kind of person who doesn't mind a woods being replaced by a strip mall because "no one" went in the woods.

Incomudro

Many years ago I was watching my NFL team in a playoff game and getting increasingly agitated. As the game played out, I was really upset at the increasingly likely prospect they would lose (they did). Towards the end I was pretty upset, and then, as I watched the players on my team look pretty chill and ambivalent about how they were playing, it dawned on me: why do I seem to care more about this than they do, who have a lot more riding on it than me?

At the end of the day, this is here for our amusement. If it no longer amuses us, we have other options. But, if the people whose jobs it is to do these things do not care about thematic integrity, sight lines, and placemaking, why should I?
Because it hurts to see beauty destroyed.

Bocabear

beyond all the million and two reasons there are for not making this irreversible misstep with the park, they also said they are leaving Radiator Springs behind and heading west to new locations... Sounds a lot like the Star Wars Land... A new unrecognizable location that was never in a film and a place no one cares about... This really is a terrible idea... So the internal waterway of the park will be gone forever... This really is the worst idea ever....Cars doesn't even belong in the Magic Kingdom....It should be built in DHS where it would fit nicely...

Sneaky

I don’t like it either, but everyone’s acting like Josh damark killed a man on stage! It sucks, it takes away something from mk for sure, but good GOD let them start to BUILD it at least.

Lou Filerman

This is an area of the park that no one cares about except a few online die hards. Disneys job is to make money. That’s it. Nothing else. This will make them more money than the existing, dead land that no one cares about. Again, no one cared about this part of the park until yesterday, now all of the sudden it’s the greatest thing in world history and should always be saved regardless of the fact that that the real customers dont care about it.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

People generally only want better versions of what they already have. Innovators provide people with what they didn't know they wanted.

Bocabear

This is an area of the park that no one cares about except a few online die hards. Disneys job is to make money. That’s it. Nothing else. This will make them more money than the existing, dead land that no one cares about. Again, no one cared about this part of the park until yesterday, now all of the sudden it’s the greatest thing in world history and should always be saved regardless of the fact that that the real customers dont care about it.
that is patently false. People do care about it. Disney has land... They can build this attraction in any of the other parks that need the capacity WAY more then the Magic Kingdom does...They can also expand the footprint of the park and build this where it does NOT completely change the atmosphere and iconic layout of the flagship Disney Castle Park. THere is no going back once this is done...

Kamikaze

well I guess the only tiny bright spot I can see is it takes them forever to build anything... so we have a few years to enjoy it.
Supposed to be done by the end of 2027. That means visible construction and the closing of the areas will most likely happen sometime in the first half of 2025.

Wall-e

I hope this comes across the right way. This is gonna sound contrary to all of the ROA/TSI supporters but the suggestions by some to amend the current plans for the Cars area to leave some of the river and dock area would likely create something that, in the end, doesn’t completely fit either theme they are going for, current (past) or future.

Gosh, I worry that if WDC actually listens to those here who want this area to remain as is, and in an effort to appease them, they bastardize the original concept plans to the point that we get a finished product that doesn’t meet their original vision. And ironically in the end doesn’t meet anyone’s expectations and causes more disdain.

Disney is definitely going to take all of this feedback into account and I hope what we end up with isn’t some mish mash of ideas that leads to a product that is less then what the imagineers envisioned.

As someone already said, Let them Cook! 😁 I am exicited to see the concept art come to fruition. If they can move it Beyond BTM and keep ROA/TSI as is then fine! But don’t give me a combination of the two.

Jrb1979

I still can't quite get over the fact that they are planning to completely redo so a large section of the Magic Kingdom to pay homage to cars. I guess they imagine that the imagination of current and future generations is as activated by the theme of cars as past generations were by adventure, the American frontier, fantasy, and the future.

I just find it so weird that this is what they think the Magic Kingdom is.
IMO it comes down to Igers ego. He wants people to remember the parks for him.

Kamikaze

I hope this comes across the right way. This is gonna sound contrary to all of the ROA/TSI supporters but the suggestions by some to amend the current plans for the Cars area to leave some of the river and dock area would likely create something that, in the end, doesn’t completely fit either theme they are going for, current (past) or future.

Gosh, I worry that if WDC actually listens to those here who want this area to remain as is, and in an effort to appease them, they bastardize the original concept plans to the point that we get a finished product that doesn’t meet their original vision. And ironically in the end doesn’t meet anyone’s expectations and causes more disdain.

Disney is definitely going to take all of this feedback into account and I hope what we end up with isn’t some mish mash of ideas that leads to a product that is less then what the imagineers envisioned.

As someone already said, Let them Cook! 😁 I am exicited to see the concept art come to fruition. If they can move it Beyond BTM and keep ROA/TSI as is then fine! But don’t give me a combination of the two.
They don't listen. Not a concern.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom