News Caribbean Beach Expansion

Bender123

Thank you! Is the new tower construction hurt staying at the resort next summer do you think?

the question of staying at CBR changes based on your idea of what you use at the resort...If you have many hotel days, then the impact is huge. If you are planning on parks everyday, then the impact is almost non-existent, and even slightly better. We stayed in July and had park days everyday. The villages each had a Coke Freestyle machine, the island shops are perfect for a quick coffee/breakfast and the pools are still open and the same.

If you want to have a full service restaurant, full service shopping experience and a pretty view, then you will have problems...

Weather_Lady

So, if I'm interpreting this correctly, check-in is being moved to Old Port Royale (and, I assume, the Custom House will be no more)?

If that's the case, that's a great change. Checking in and out at the Custom House (and specifically, toting our luggage there from the furthest point of the resort in the wee hours on our check-out day) was a total pain in the tush, and the only negative we experienced on our 6-night stay at CBR on our last WDW trip.

peter11435

So, if I'm interpreting this correctly, check-in is being moved to Old Port Royale (and, I assume, the Custom House will be no more)?

If that's the case, that's a great change. Checking in and out at the Custom House (and specifically, toting our luggage there from the furthest point of the resort in the wee hours on our check-out day) was a total pain in the tush, and the only negative we experienced on our 6-night stay at CBR on our last WDW trip.
That is correct

DisneyJoe

Bell Services didn't provide a van/shuttle for you?

Weather_Lady

Bell Services didn't provide a van/shuttle for you?

I'm sure they would have if we had arranged for one on our last day, but we were on a tight schedule and didn't want to risk any possible delay in waiting for them to arrive.

Not only that, but we already had a bit of a bad taste in our mouths after Bell Services damaged one of our suitcases while delivering it on our arrival day (handles torn right off, with a dangling piece of sharp metal from the inside of one of the missing handles as the only way to lift the bag). The bag wasn't oversized (21") or overstuffed (<20 lbs.), was practically brand-new, and had been hand-delivered to Bell Services by us when we arrived at CBR, so there was no obvious reason for the damage. When my husband asked about it, he was offered just a shrug -- no explanation and no apology, although they were glad to keep the tip they'd been handed before we saw the damage. Suffice it to say we decided that the only way to get ourselves to the Custom House on time and with our luggage intact was to do it ourselves.

(FWIW, the bag was still under warranty, and we were able to get it replaced directly by the manufacturer, for no charge, after we returned home. So at the end of the day, no harm, no foul, although this was "strike 2" for Disney Bell Services. We've used them twice and had problems both times -- at Wilderness Lodge, a Bell Services employee dropped one of our bags along a walkway en route to our room. DH had to canvass the property himself to find it because the employee who dropped it and said he'd look for it actually spent the whole time chit-chatting with a buddy just outside the door. :rolleyes:)

Last edited:

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I'm sure they would have if we had arranged for one on our last day, but we were on a tight schedule and didn't want to risk any possible delay in waiting for them to arrive.

Not only that, but we already had a bit of a bad taste in our mouths after Bell Services damaged one of our suitcases while delivering it on our arrival day (handles torn right off, with a dangling piece of sharp metal from the inside of one of the missing handles as the only way to lift the bag). The bag wasn't oversized (21") or overstuffed (<20 lbs.), was practically brand-new, and had been hand-delivered to Bell Services by us when we arrived at CBR, so there was no obvious reason for the damage. When my husband asked about it, he was offered just a shrug -- no explanation and no apology, although they were glad to keep the tip they'd been handed before we saw the damage. Suffice it to say we decided that the only way to get ourselves to the Custom House on time and with our luggage intact was to do it ourselves.

(FWIW, the bag was still under warranty, and we were able to get it replaced directly by the manufacturer, for no charge, after we returned home. So at the end of the day, no harm, no foul, although this was "strike 2" for Disney Bell Services. We've used them twice and had problems both times -- at Wilderness Lodge, a Bell Services employee dropped one of our bags along a walkway en route to our room. DH had to canvass the property himself to find it because the employee who dropped it and said he'd look for it actually spent the whole time chit-chatting with a buddy just outside the door. :rolleyes:)

FWIW, if Disney damaged your bags, they will replace it for free (or at least, they used to replace it for free). That can be good and bad - Good if it's an older suitcase, because it gets replaced with a Disney suitcase, bad because sometimes the suitcase being replaced is of better quality than the replacement Disney suitcase. We have had this happen once, and they replaced the damaged bag with a similarly-sized suitcase for free.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The customs house was obviously gone...there was no choice there.

But what this really means is a large increase in price and what I believe to be the destruction of the "moderate" as we know it. Not like we were already getting there anyway.

What a "premium" place, huh?

surfsupdon

Really looking forward to seeing this finished. The Caribbean theme is absolutely perfect for a Florida vacation and was always a strength for this Resort.

Wonder if Island Markets will remain.
Wonder if bus stops will be condensed.
Wonder if a Trinidad will get a new name and color palette!

Hopefully yes for all the above!! Really looking forward to the reimagining as a lifelong fan of Caribbean Beach.

Weather_Lady

FWIW, if Disney damaged your bags, they will replace it for free (or at least, they used to replace it for free). That can be good and bad - Good if it's an older suitcase, because it gets replaced with a Disney suitcase, bad because sometimes the suitcase being replaced is of better quality than the replacement Disney suitcase. We have had this happen once, and they replaced the damaged bag with a similarly-sized suitcase for free.

Thanks for the tip! :) (Hopefully it won't happen again.)

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
The customs house was obviously gone...there was no choice there.

But what this really means is a large increase in price and what I believe to be the destruction of the "moderate" as we know it. Not like we were already getting there anyway.

What a "premium" place, huh?

Yep. Eventually we will no longer have value/moderate/deluxe classifications and pricing, but pricing based on location. And price increases commensurate with how close resorts are to the theme parks. Purely a guess on my part, but CBR, Pop, and AoA will all likely be seeing a healthy increase in room rates by mid-2019.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Yep. Eventually we will no longer have value/moderate/deluxe classifications and pricing, but pricing based on location. And price increases commensurate with how close resorts are to the theme parks. Purely a guess on my part, but CBR, Pop, and AoA will all likely be seeing a healthy increase in room rates by mid-2019.

That's not even a question...they're gonna skyrocket.'
I just think it has to be with complete overhaul or reconstruction...

Caribbean is an elaborate motor lodge...it has to be completely upgraded to be "deluxe".

If you play $400 for Caribbean...you should file a police report afterwards.

ToTBellHop

That's not even a question...they're gonna skyrocket.'
I just think it has to be with complete overhaul or reconstruction...

Caribbean is an elaborate motor lodge...it has to be completely upgraded to be "deluxe".

If you play $400 for Caribbean...you should file a police report afterwards.
At least it looks reasonably nice. Will people pay $300/night for Pop Century?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom