Captain Marvel spoiler thread

Princess Leia

Original Poster
Okay I loved it. I did not expect some of the big Skrull twists, though the Yon-Rogg villain reveal was spoiled for me a couple months ago.

Big question that my friends and I all had though- how did Mar-Vell get the tessaract???

Oh! Mar-Vell!!!!! I did NOT see that coming, at all!

drod1985

Mar-vell didn't get the tesseract, at that point SHIELD/the US Government had it since Captain America. Howard Stark found it in the ocean when looking for Steve and the crashed plane.

Mar-vell apparently tracked it down and infiltrated Project Pegasus (the same project codename as the facility in Avengers 1 where the tesseract was experimented with) so that she could use it to try and help the Skrull refugees.

Princess Leia

Original Poster
Mar-vell didn't get the tesseract, at that point SHIELD/the US Government had it since Captain America. Howard Stark found it in the ocean when looking for Steve and the crashed plane.

Mar-vell apparently tracked it down and infiltrated Project Pegasus (the same project codename as the facility in Avengers 1 where the tesseract was experimented with) so that she could use it to try and help the Skrull refugees.
Thanks for the update. I was trying to wrap my head around that last night.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Not reading the comics but relying on animated Marvel shows, I assumed the Skulls were going to definitely be the evil villains, while the Kree would be almost as bad because of their militarism. So, yeah, I was surprised at the twist. I had thought we were being set-up for the next MCU phase dealing with Skrull imposters and guessing which Avengers were secretly Skrulls.

Good surprise!

Princess Leia

Original Poster
Not reading the comics but relying on animated Marvel shows, I assumed the Skulls were going to definitely be the evil villains, while the Kree would be almost as bad because of their militarism. So, yeah, I was surprised at the twist. I had thought we were being set-up for the next MCU phase dealing with Skrull imposters and guessing which Avengers were secretly Skrulls.

Good surprise!
What sold it was Ben Mendelsohn (aka everyone’s current go-to sci-fi villain) being cast as Talos.

I do wonder what this means for Skrulls in the future though. Secret Invasion would be a great Avengers 5.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
1 - Why is the kree suddenly some regular humanoid melting pot society? This seemed in conflict with what we knew of the kree up till now in the MCU
2 - The over the top need to make it feel 90s period with the pop music - Trying too much to be like Guardians
3 - The tone for humor also felt borrowed heavily... but SLJ is too good to ignore
4 - The tesseract... again??? I still don't quite follow it's possession timeline fully
5 - The 'girl power' thing jumped the shark when the no doubt song played in the big reveal fight on the spaceship
6 - Why is the head scroll dude so hip with earth culture?
7 - The whole "is she supposed to be a tomboy" "is she supposed to just be a rebel?"... the attempt to set her character traits while also masking her memory made for a bit of a mashup that was hard to connect with. She just feels like a product.. instead of an evolution. The final 'she always gets back up...' revelation moment does tie it all back decently but it almost was like too little, too late.. and way overdosed of "girl power" pitching.

1. MCU changes the comics rather freely all the time (not to mention the comics do the same with all their reboots, as well as their animated TV shows). I'm still wondering why Tony Stark isn't confined to a wheel chair without his suit...

6. Skrulls get a lot of the memories of the people they copy. The Skrulls had been working with Mar-Vel on Earth in order to get a light-engine with which to get out of the Kree's reach. So, they've been living on Earth and absorbing Earthican memories for a while now.

flynnibus

Premium Member
6. Skrulls get a lot of the memories of the people they copy. The Skrulls had been working with Mar-Vel on Earth in order to get a light-engine with which to get out of the Kree's reach. So, they've been living on Earth and absorbing Earthican memories for a while now.

I thought Talos didn't know Mar-Vel was on earth - they extracted that info when they were scouring Carol's mind? I know they were trying to decode the coordinates... but wasn't that why they kept cycling her back through her memories for details about Mar-Vel before the whole last flight memories?

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
I thought Talos didn't know Mar-Vel was on earth - they extracted that info when they were scouring Carol's mind? I know they were trying to decode the coordinates... but wasn't that why they kept cycling her back through her memories for details about Mar-Vel before the whole last flight memories?

Since Talos was looking to reunite with his family that Mar-Vel hid away on the cloaked ship, he had to find Mar-Vel and, I would guess, what identity she was using so as to track her down. I'm presuming they kidnapped Danvers because she obviously had the powers of the light engine/tesseract and using her to backtrack to Mar-Vel.

But, I'm not entirely sure...

flynnibus

Premium Member
Since Talos was looking to reunite with his family that Mar-Vel hid away on the cloaked ship, he had to find Mar-Vel and, I would guess, what identity she was using so as to track her down. I'm presuming they kidnapped Danvers because she obviously had the powers of the light engine/tesseract and using her to backtrack to Mar-Vel.

But, I'm not entirely sure...

There is one line from Talos.. that I forget exactly what his explaination was... but I think they said her powers had the same signature or some effect that they knew the light engine had.. and that's what pointed them to her and to interrogate her to lead to Mar-Vel and the cooridinates.

I took from it that the lead they were chasing was Mar-Vel and the light engine.. and Carol was just seen as a lead... which then lead to earth.. and she busts out while they are over earth.

I don't believe Talos knew Mar-Vel was hiding his family per say.. or that they were there over earth.

Mike S

I’d just really like to know if my theory concerning her powers and a potential major weakness that Thanos could exploit is true.

In the movie I believe the light speed engine is described as drawing its power directly from the Tesseract. Not that Mar-Vell built an engine that runs on a similar power source she cooked up that’s based on the Tesseract. Does this mean that Carol is drawing her power directly from the Tesseract as well? It wouldn’t be unprecedented as I read that in the comics she drew her power from a star and when that star went out her powers weren’t as strong anymore. Is this setting up a potential conflict in Endgame since Thanos controls the source of her powers?

LieutLaww

Hello There
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
No, she absorbed the power that was in the engine when it exploded not the power from the Tesseract itself which was on the Space station. The engine had a connection to the Tesseract which was how it was powered but Carol absorbed all the power that was currently in the engine when she shot it.

Princess Leia

Original Poster
I’d just really like to know if my theory concerning her powers and a potential major weakness that Thanos could exploit is true.

In the movie I believe the light speed engine is described as drawing its power directly from the Tesseract. Not that Mar-Vell built an engine that runs on a similar power source she cooked up that’s based on the Tesseract. Does this mean that Carol is drawing her power directly from the Tesseract as well? It wouldn’t be unprecedented as I read that in the comics she drew her power from a star and when that star went out her powers weren’t as strong anymore. Is this setting up a potential conflict in Endgame since Thanos controls the source of her powers?
Also, since Thanos is the current owner of the Space Stone, can he manipulate Carol? Or can Carol manipulate the glove?

A lot was made out of the fact that Wanda and Vision were both made with the mind stone.

Mike S

No, she absorbed the power that was in the engine when it exploded not the power from the Tesseract itself which was on the Space station. The engine had a connection to the Tesseract which was how it was powered but Carol absorbed all the power that was currently in the engine when she shot it.
My thoughts are basically what if that connection transferred to Carol? If all she absorbed was the power currently in the engine couldn’t it eventually “run out?” Idk, it’s just a theory.
Also, since Thanos is the current owner of the Space Stone, can he manipulate Carol? Or can Carol manipulate the glove?

A lot was made out of the fact that Wanda and Vision were both made with the mind stone.
I could see Carol stepping in for Adam Warlock and being the one to put on the glove to reverse the snap. Taking down Thanos, it shouldn’t be her unless it’s team work.

LieutLaww

Hello There
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
I think its going to be Tony donning the Gauntlet and losing his arm in the process, if you look carefully at Thanos after the snap his whole left arm is badly damaged, if you look at pretty much every movie Iron Man has been in his left arm is taking serious amounts of damage and they are making sure you see it (just a theory I saw from somewhere else but it does fit) Also its unlikely the power Carol absorbed will run out so to speak as the Tesseract is (Mind Stone) basically unlimited energy, thats why Shield were testing it to use it to power Earth and never have to worry about power anywhere in the world again.

Mike S

I think its going to be Tony donning the Gauntlet and losing his arm in the process, if you look carefully at Thanos after the snap his whole left arm is badly damaged, if you look at pretty much every movie Iron Man has been in his left arm is taking serious amounts of damage and they are making sure you see it (just a theory I saw from somewhere else but it does fit) Also its unlikely the power Carol absorbed will run out so to speak as the Tesseract is (Space Stone) basically unlimited energy, thats why Shield were testing it to use it to power Earth and never have to worry about power anywhere in the world again.
That’s what I’m saying. Maybe she’s still somehow connected to it like the engine had to be.

And it’s Space not Mind.

Princess Leia

Original Poster
So, are we all in agreement that a) Carol saw some Skrulls get dusted, or b) that Monica and/or Maria got dusted?

Also, I can’t imagine that either Monica or Maria would be happy with Carol that she never came back to visit Earth.

Mike S

So, are we all in agreement that a) Carol saw some Skrulls get dusted, or b) that Monica and/or Maria got dusted?

Also, I can’t imagine that either Monica or Maria would be happy with Carol that she never came back to visit Earth.
They did know what she was going out to do so they could understand. Also Monica would be an adult at this point which is pretty crazy to think about lol.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom