Captain Marvel spoiler thread

flynnibus

Premium Member
l found the RLM incredible painful to watch and could only suffer about 15 minutes... the CM talk starts at about 19mins.. not 12..

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
This is largely incorrect.

RLM did not once dismiss or thoughts simply because she was a white woman. By your own admission, you would acknowledge this if you watched the video.

They were calling her out for specifically for dismissing opinions of people who aren’t the film’s represented demographics. She was deflecting criticism as if certain opinions don’t matter. They cite several examples, including Get Out and Moonlight, to highlight that good films transcend whatever her asinine idea of who a film is truly meant for should be the primary critics worth listening to.

They’ve criticized Paul Feig in the past for the exact same thing when he dismissed criticism of his terrible Ghostbusters film.

You can’t criticize their points when you didn’t even watch further to understand the nuances of their argument.

If they were doing only that, there would be no need to point out she's a "White blonde" woman.

The throw-away lines are sometimes the most informative.

Phicinfan

okay just got back from theater, and really loved this picture. Great story, and I thought it was well laid out.

It got really messy going back and forth for a bit, but loved how they explained her gaining power from the Tesseract. They did leave TWO plot holes though - 1) how did the Tesseract first reach earth for Red Skull to look for, 2) How did Mar Vel get her hands on the tesseract from Shield(remember it was found by Howard Stark and sub as they looked for cap at end of Capt. America 1st avenger

Can't wait to see how Endgame plays out.

One thing I will say, I thought overall they handled the "girl power" part very well, when she finally releases her full power and shows how she got past the fact they manipulated her memories - reminded me of the P&G commercials from a year or so ago.

Mike S

okay just got back from theater, and really loved this picture. Great story, and I thought it was well laid out.

It got really messy going back and forth for a bit, but loved how they explained her gaining power from the Tesseract. They did leave TWO plot holes though - 1) how did the Tesseract first reach earth for Red Skull to look for, 2) How did Mar Vel get her hands on the tesseract from Shield(remember it was found by Howard Stark and sub as they looked for cap at end of Capt. America 1st avenger

Can't wait to see how Endgame plays out.

One thing I will say, I thought overall they handled the "girl power" part very well, when she finally releases her full power and shows how she got past the fact they manipulated her memories - reminded me of the P&G commercials from a year or so ago.
You don’t need to use a spoiler tag in the spoiler thread, lol.

The Tesseract was apparently left on Earth by Odin sometime pre WW2. Mar-Vell got it because she worked with Project Pegasus which eagle eyed fans will recognize as the facility the Tesseract was in in Avengers 1. It never really left SHEILD as they were involved in Pegasus.

By P&G please tell me you don’t mean the awful Gillette “men are bad” ad.

Phicinfan

You don’t need to use a spoiler tag in the spoiler thread, lol.
Picky!! ;)

The Tesseract was apparently left on Earth by Odin sometime pre WW2. Mar-Vell got it because she worked with Project Pegasus which eagle eyed fans will recognize as the facility the Tesseract was in in Avengers 1. It never really left SHEILD as they were involved in Pegasus.
Granted, the facility in Avengers one was Pegasus, but I would love to hear the back story of how Mar Vel GOT the tesseract and created all that without any knowledge, just would be a good story. I find it very hard to believe that Howard Stark let it slip out of his hands.

By P&G please tell me you don’t mean the awful Gillette “men are bad” ad.
No, not the Gillette, they ran "like a Girl" commercials a few years ago, they were actually very well done.

Mike S

Picky!! ;)

Granted, the facility in Avengers one was Pegasus, but I would love to hear the back story of how Mar Vel GOT the tesseract and created all that without any knowledge, just would be a good story. I find it very hard to believe that Howard Stark let it slip out of his hands.

No, not the Gillette, they ran "like a Girl" commercials a few years ago, they were actually very well done.
I don’t think he really let it out of his hands more than simply giving it to another team to study that Mar-Vell then took leadership of.

Mike S

He was murdered by the Winter Soldier, which makes holding onto things a tad dicey.
Ah yes I forgot that’s before Captain Marvel.

Edit: scratch that. His murder was in 91. Carol’s crash was 89 so Mar-Vell was working with it before he died.

How much you wanna bet it could come out that Howard’s “new element” was based on his own Tesseract research.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Ah yes I forgot that’s before Captain Marvel.

Edit: scratch that. His murder was in 91. Carol’s crash was 89 so Mar-Vell was working with it before he died.

How much you wanna bet it could come out that Howard’s “new element” was based on his own Tesseract research.

Hmmm... good point.

Bet that gets retconned... if ever addressed at all. ;)

flynnibus

Premium Member
I don’t think he really let it out of his hands more than simply giving it to another team to study that Mar-Vell then took leadership of.

Yeah but she removed it from earth... that's more than her working with it inshield.

It could be inferred she did something drastic leading up to the accident knowing she (and the tesserac) were in danger

WhatJaneSays

It's very strongly implied that the "new element" was an attempt to replicate the power of the Tesseract. In many of the closeups of Howard's paperwork there appear to be notes on the Tesseract and the early stages of the element on the same pages. There's been a fairly strong relationship between the Tesseract and the Arc reactor since the early days of the MCU so I'd be surprised if that doesn't come into play at some point.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Finally saw it and hated it. There was so much stuff wrong with this movie. It’s maddening.

LSLS

Alright I finally got to see this and can join this thread. So, I liked it. It's not my favorite (though I can see why it was for my daughter/wife), but I did enjoy it a lot. I thought the first section of the movie was a bit slow (where she wasn't remembering things), but I thought once she clicked it was great.

So, something that "Bothered" (and I use quotations cause I'm not upset by it, just curious where it goes), they never had her officially take on the Marvel name. I wonder if they are going to have to have to spend a minute in End Game to have her do it.

I definitely think she will be a good staple in phase 4. I'm with Penguin, I thought Skrolls would be the vilains that pop up unexpectedly in random movies. BUT, just because one general was not bad, doesn't mean they were all good (he did say they were spread out everywhere), so maybe that still can come into play.

Princess Leia

Original Poster
Alright I finally got to see this and can join this thread. So, I liked it. It's not my favorite (though I can see why it was for my daughter/wife), but I did enjoy it a lot. I thought the first section of the movie was a bit slow (where she wasn't remembering things), but I thought once she clicked it was great.

So, something that "Bothered" (and I use quotations cause I'm not upset by it, just curious where it goes), they never had her officially take on the Marvel name. I wonder if they are going to have to have to spend a minute in End Game to have her do it.

I definitely think she will be a good staple in phase 4. I'm with Penguin, I thought Skrolls would be the vilains that pop up unexpectedly in random movies. BUT, just because one general was not bad, doesn't mean they were all good (he did say they were spread out everywhere), so maybe that still can come into play.
The Skrulls are too big to not use again. There have to be some evil Skrulls out there that will pop up again sometime.

As for the Marvel name- it might be something that she’s taken on in space?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom