Captain Marvel

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
Brie's plug for CptM M&G in Disney Parks (except WDW!)..

Not kidding, she looks uncomfortable in front of the camera. I truly mean this. One of the reasons why I am hesitant to watch this movie was because of her acting ability. Haven't seen the movie. I intend to, just maybe not in theaters.

Being a Marvel movie... of course I'll see it! But I'm not convinced Brie's acting ability is there yet. Either that or she just doesn't do well at synergized Disney resort plugs. IDK. I know this will probably sound like a trollish comment but I'm not eager to see Captain Marvel.

She's not the sole reason of course. That'd be ridiculous. But I do think being unfamiliar with the movie's synopsis, the character herself (to an extent) and poor marketing are somewhat working against this movie.

Last edited:

Mike S

Not kidding, she looks uncomfortable in front of the camera. I truly mean this. One of the reasons why I am hesitant to watch this movie was because of her acting ability here and on the movie trailer. Haven't seen the movie. I intend to, just maybe not in theaters.

Being a Marvel movie... of course I'll see it. But I'm not convinced Brie's acting ability is there yet. Either that or she just doesn't do well at synergized Disney resort plugs. IDK. I know this will probably sound like a trollish comment - but I'm not eager to see this one.
She doesn’t have the same charisma as some of Marvel’s other big leads but she gets the job done. It is just one movie so she could improve over time. She kind of plays the spunky kid like how she did in Jump Street which I liked.

Last edited:

Tony Perkis

It’s awful. Not because it’s poorly made or inept. It’s bad because the main character isn’t an actual character. She’s a plot point. She’s Deus Ex Machina. And this was a major missed opportunity by Marvel.

flynnibus

Premium Member
It’s awful. Not because it’s poorly made or inept. It’s bad because the main character isn’t an actual character. She’s a plot point. She’s Deus Ex Machina. And this was a major missed opportunity by Marvel.

Miss? She's nothing in the Marvel catalog... yes the reason they built her up here is purely to fuel the MCU avengers plot... but you act like they squandered some diamond in the rough. This was making something from nothing.. same as Black Panther.

So far the only negatives I've heard are people butthurt about comics inconsistency (hello.. MCU rule #1.. it don't matter) and that she serves a purpose predisposed beyond this film. Uhh... none of the MCU multi-movie universe has been by chance for a long long time now. People need to stop making excuses on why they should hate something and just enjoy the films or not.

Tony Perkis

Miss? She's nothing in the Marvel catalog... yes the reason they built her up here is purely to fuel the MCU avengers plot... but you act like they squandered some diamond in the rough. This was making something from nothing.. same as Black Panther.

So far the only negatives I've heard are people butthurt about comics inconsistency (hello.. MCU rule #1.. it don't matter) and that she serves a purpose predisposed beyond this film. Uhh... none of the MCU multi-movie universe has been by chance for a long long time now. People need to stop making excuses on why they should hate something and just enjoy the films or not.
Don’t assume things.

I’ve read 2 comics in my life: Watchmen and The Killing Joke. I don’t give a damn about the characters’ interpretations or stories from the comics, because I don’t know what they are in the comics.

What I wanted was a film with a strong lead to anchor the film, despite the powers. This film had no such anchor, and I found little-to-no incentive mustering up a reason as to why I should care about her or the action occurring onscreen.

Additionally, please don’t dismiss valid criticism with a “making up excuses” jab. That just leads to lazy discussion.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I’ve read 2 comics in my life: Watchmen and The Killing Joke. I don’t give a damn about the characters’ interpretations or stories from the comics, because I don’t know what they are in the comics.

So what's the 'huge missed opportunity' here? What is special about this random MCU movie vs the 20+ others that makes it such an opportunity you think they whiffed on?

I get you may not have liked the 'can't remember my past' cliche... but it's a superhero flick.. not an adaptation of the greatest novels of all time. The usual formula is the person's individual struggle... and they did plenty of expose around that and gave meaning to the struggle with her place with the kree vs her discovery of what the mission really was.

tirian

I know the internet trolls caused chaos on Rotten Tomatoes and IMDB, but now that “Capt. Marvel” has been released, are we allowed to admit the role was miscast and the movie is surprisingly lousy? I wasted money on it last night. What a failure.

I also don’t understand the hype about a strong female character. Black Widow, Officer Ripley, and Wonder Woman probably wonder the same thing. ;)

tirian

True. I thought it was a poorly written, miscast, badly directed movie—but that’s on its own (lack of) merit.

Comic book movies need to work for wide audiences who don’t understand decades’ worth of minutiae. The actual fan base has rarely mattered to anyone except James Gunn, and he’s at DC now.

Tony Perkis

So what's the 'huge missed opportunity' here? What is special about this random MCU movie vs the 20+ others that makes it such an opportunity you think they whiffed on?

It’s a culturally important film, similar to how Wonder Woman was important. It represents an important motion in Hollywood to provide women more opportunity to write, direct, and lead major tent pole blockbusters (which is undoubtedly is). And when all is said and done, it will remembered as nothing more than the setup for how everything is neatly tied up in Endgame.

Black Panther was the same way, but unlike Captain Marvel, it was able to stand on its own even though it was basically used to set up the climax in Infinity War. And I say this as someone who actually doesn’t care much for that film.

I get you may not have liked the 'can't remember my past' cliche... but it's a superhero flick.. not an adaptation of the greatest novels of all time. The usual formula is the person's individual struggle... and they did plenty of expose around that and gave meaning to the struggle with her place with the kree vs her discovery of what the mission really was.

Again, please don’t assume what my criticisms are.

I am willing to give most of these generic origin stories a pass due to the strength of the lead character. It’s why despite poor stories in many of Marvel’s intro films, they still work, and it’s why this one doesn’t.

I had much more of a vested interest in the Skrull, because those characters had a clear story arc that grounds them and makes them relatable/likeable.

Carol Danvers has no such arc. We don’t see enough of her past life to validate her struggle, and by the end of the film, we don’t know anything about her that actually defines, or at least alludes to, who she is. All we know about her is what she can do. That’s poor writing, and isn’t enough to support a lead character.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I know the internet trolls caused chaos on Rotten Tomatoes and IMDB, but now that “Capt. Marvel” has been released, are we allowed to admit the role was miscast and the movie is surprisingly lousy? I wasted money on it last night. What a failure.

Having not seen Bree L anywhere else before hand.. I had no predisposition on her. I found her GND sexy and tried to see where she came from. I like her best in this film now vs what else I've seen of her. Shes gotten an oscar, but what I've seen of her not in character.. I'm like.. meh.

To me the big glaring things were
1 - Why is the kree suddenly some regular humanoid melting pot society? This seemed in conflict with what we knew of the kree up till now in the MCU
2 - The over the top need to make it feel 90s period with the pop music - Trying too much to be like Guardians
3 - The tone for humor also felt borrowed heavily... but SLJ is too good to ignore
4 - The tesseract... again??? I still don't quite follow it's possession timeline fully
5 - The 'girl power' thing jumped the shark when the no doubt song played in the big reveal fight on the spaceship
6 - Why is the head scroll dude so hip with earth culture?
7 - The whole "is she supposed to be a tomboy" "is she supposed to just be a rebel?"... the attempt to set her character traits while also masking her memory made for a bit of a mashup that was hard to connect with. She just feels like a product.. instead of an evolution. The final 'she always gets back up...' revelation moment does tie it all back decently but it almost was like too little, too late.. and way overdosed of "girl power" pitching.

Tony Perkis

Having not seen Bree L anywhere else before hand.. I had no predisposition on her. I found her GND sexy and tried to see where she came from. I like her best in this film now vs what else I've seen of her. Shes gotten an oscar, but what I've seen of her not in character.. I'm like.. meh.

To me the big glaring things were
1 - Why is the kree suddenly some regular humanoid melting pot society? This seemed in conflict with what we knew of the kree up till now in the MCU
2 - The over the top need to make it feel 90s period with the pop music - Trying too much to be like Guardians
3 - The tone for humor also felt borrowed heavily... but SLJ is too good to ignore
4 - The tesseract... again??? I still don't quite follow it's possession timeline fully
5 - The 'girl power' thing jumped the shark when the no doubt song played in the big reveal fight on the spaceship
6 - Why is the head scroll dude so hip with earth culture?
7 - The whole "is she supposed to be a tomboy" "is she supposed to just be a rebel?"... the attempt to set her character traits while also masking her memory made for a bit of a mashup that was hard to connect with. She just feels like a product.. instead of an evolution. The final 'she always gets back up...' revelation moment does tie it all back decently but it almost was like too little, too late.. and way overdosed of "girl power" pitching.
Brie Larson is amazing in Room.

flynnibus

Premium Member
It’s a culturally important film, similar to how Wonder Woman was important. It represents an important motion in Hollywood to provide women more opportunity to write, direct, and lead major tent pole blockbusters (which is undoubtedly is)

Well that's the big mistake period IMO. It's like 'artificial scarcity' - If you set out to do something because your end-game is to force the impact its supposed to have.. it's not organic and it never will be as impactful as something that was.

I am willing to give most of these generic origin stories a pass due to the strength of the lead character. It’s why despite poor stories in many of Marvel’s intro films, they still work, and it’s why this one doesn’t.

Strength of the lead character? "Someone killed my dad/uncle/mom/whatever?" "I was in some horrible accident.. and now I'm different" whatever formulas? The term "bubblegum comic" is not synomous with shallow by chance..

Carol Danvers has no such arc. We don’t see enough of her past life to validate her struggle, and by the end of the film, we don’t know anything about her that actually defines, or at least alludes to, who she is. All we know about her is what she can do. That’s poor writing, and isn’t enough to support a lead character.

I disagree strongly

We see plenty to establish how she was repeatedly told to hold back.. you are less.. and how she fights back against that notion and is driven to be more.

That resonates in her 'career choices' that lead her to Mar-Vell .. and in her resistance to her chains/bounds the kree put on her as they re-condition her.

The whole identity crisis stuff is pretty cliche.. but at least gives the story a twist the viewers have to weigh for a period as they try to decide who really is telling the truth... the kree or the skrulls.

She is now given an opportunity advance an ideal a higher power exposed her to.. and help right some of the wrongs she sees the kree representing.[/quote]

Mike S

I also don’t understand the hype about a strong female character. Black Widow, Officer Ripley, and Wonder Woman probably wonder the same thing. ;)
A “like” just for this bit. I grew up seeing plenty of strong females in film. Where was this hubub for Elektra and Catwoman? Of course, that was a time when movies could just be movies and not a soap box.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom