Captain Marvel spoiler thread

Disney Irish

Premium Member
The picture shown in the movie was a bald Fury with both eyes. He said when he met him he was deputy director of an outpost near Bogota (I think that’s what it was) and then after the mission where he defied orders to save lives he was made director.

Yes maybe the picture was a continuity error. Or maybe there is an explanation. As someone explained he could have shaved his head previously, decided to grow it back, and then decided to shave it again. I've done that, now I shave it all the time. And the eye, as we saw at the end of Capt Marvel, he is looking at glass eyes. So its obvious he didn't start wearing the patch permanently until later. So with a glass eye and a little makeup to keep up appearances its easy to see the picture could be plausible.

As far as directorship, I've already explained that. Fury in the comics has been director at various times in his career, so its not a far stretch to think its the same in the MCU.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
They already had Hydra’s original weapons from WWII to study. And Hydra seemed able to do it after just getting the Tesseract.

See it yet?
Yes I've seen all the films.

While I agree its something of a mystery as to why they didn't produce lots more. But as I explained they are also a governmental agency. So its possible there was a lot of bureaucracy about getting funding. I know its a mundane explanation but its a plausible one. The World Council as seen throughout the MCU didn't have a lot of faith in Fury or his "wasteful programs". So its not hard to fathom they wouldn't want to spend money on programs they didn't believe in until they needed to. Which is the whole reason they asked him to try and get the Tesseract going again.

Last edited:

Mike S

Yes I've seen all the films.

While I agree its something of a mystery as to why they didn't produce lots more. But as I explained they are also a governmental agency. So its possible there was a lot of bureaucracy about getting funding. I know its a mundane explanation but its a plausible one. The World Council as seen throughout the MCU didn't have a lot of faith in Fury or his "wasteful programs". So its not hard to fathom they wouldn't want to spend money on programs they didn't believe in until they needed to. Which is the whole reason they asked him to try and get the Tesseract going again.
By “it” I meant the inconsistency. You seem like someone who had seen the movies so I never put that into question.

Also, I don’t think a bureaucracy would stand in the way of defense against advanced aliens. That’s what was implied anyway with how quickly they got it going after Thor which was just 1 year before Avengers.

All these questions could’ve been avoided though if they didn’t write in retcons to make these things revolve around Captain Marvel.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
By “it” I meant the inconsistency. You seem like someone who had seen the movies so I never put that into question.

Also, I don’t think a bureaucracy would stand in the way of defense against advanced aliens. That’s what was implied anyway with how quickly they got it going after Thor which was just 1 year before Avengers.

All these questions could’ve been avoided though if they didn’t write in retcons to make these things revolve around Captain Marvel.

I can see why you and others see inconsistency, but I don't see the same. We know that again Marvel plays the long game they don't lay out everything in one nice neat present with a bow on it. So while yes I agree there are questions that come up because history in the MCU changes because more is revealed. It doesn't mean to me there are big glaring inconsistencies that can't be explained, especially in future movies or comics.

The MCU is just like real life, everything is in shades of grey not black and white. So there are little nuances that may not be apparent or even revealed yet. We don't know all the things that were happening between the time Capt Marvel ends and Iron Man began, we know little bits and pieces. Hopefully they will lay out everything that happened in a future movie so its wrapped up with a nice little bow.

Mike S

I can see why you and others see inconsistency, but I don't see the same. We know that again Marvel plays the long game they don't lay out everything in one nice neat present with a bow on it. So while yes I agree there are questions that come up because history in the MCU changes because more is revealed. It doesn't mean to me there are big glaring inconsistencies that can't be explained, especially in future movies or comics.

The MCU is just like real life, everything is in shades of grey not black and white. So there are little nuances that may not be apparent or even revealed yet. We don't know all the things that were happening between the time Capt Marvel ends and Iron Man began, we know little bits and pieces. Hopefully they will lay out everything that happened in a future movie so its wrapped up with a nice little bow.
That doesn’t explain taking things that were established and just changing or ignoring them.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
That doesn’t explain taking things that were established and just changing or ignoring them.

You’re right it doesn’t explain it. Maybe there will never be an explanation for certain things. Or maybe you’ll just have to accept that comic book franchises inherently make changes to little details all the time.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Just to put this out there.

For those having an issue with retconning in the MCU, prepare yourself now. Marvel is likely planning to change more history in the MCU, ala the butterfly effect, in End Game. With it all but confirmed of using the quantum realm to jump through time to collect the Infinity Stones, butterfly effects will happen. Thus more of the established timeline will be changed.

So prepare yourself now, history in the MCU will continue to change....

Mike S

Just to put this out there.

For those having an issue with retconning in the MCU, prepare yourself now. Marvel is likely planning to change more history in the MCU, ala the butterfly effect, in End Game. With it all but confirmed of using the quantum realm to jump through time to collect the Infinity Stones, butterfly effects will happen. Thus more of the established timeline will be changed.

So prepare yourself now, history in the MCU will continue to change....
At least with that there would be an actual explanation for it other than writers that can’t just go and fact check for a few minutes.
I do wonder what they'll change up to integrate the Fantastic Four & X-Men and how will they fit into the timeline.
The Fantastic Four shouldn’t be an issue to introduce as a new group that just starts up now after Endgame. Mutants on the other hand will require a lot of reworking.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
At least with that there would be an actual explanation for it other than writers that can’t just go and fact check for a few minutes.

Has anyone else picked up on the fact that it was 1987 (prior the events in Capt Marvel) when Janet Van Dyne went lost in the quantum realm. An interesting fact given that she warns Scott not to get stuck in a time vortex, basically foreshadowing the events in End Game. But is there more to this? Could it be that the reason she knows about the time vortex is because she already crossed over at least once and triggered an unintentional butterfly effect, hmm....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom