Captain Marvel spoiler thread

Mike S

Princess Leia

Original Poster
Okay, I am saying this as a huge Nirvana fan, but Come As You Are was the wrong song to put in the movie. I liked the placement of No Doubt, but the Nirvana moment bugged me.

Lithium or Dumb might have been a better fit, if they still wanted a well known Nirvana song in the film.

Princess Leia

Original Poster
Maybe Maria and some Skrulls got dusted. Or, even worse, Maria’s already by other means.

Someone who can make a good partner hopefully.

Exactly. Someone like Zoe Saldana would’ve been perfect if she wasn’t Gamora already which is also a great role for her.
I found a list from a few years ago that included Danai Gurira... but she’s already the perfect Okoye. Tessa Thompson would have been good, but again, she’s already in the MCU. Monica would actually be older than Brie Larson currently is, so I think Marvel is probably looking for an actress in her early 30s... Zoe Kravitz maybe?

For all we know, they could cast someone relatively unknown.

Mike S

I found a list from a few years ago that included Danai Gurira... but she’s already the perfect Okoye. Tessa Thompson would have been good, but again, she’s already in the MCU. Monica would actually be older than Brie Larson currently is, so I think Marvel is probably looking for an actress in her early 30s... Zoe Kravitz maybe?

For all we know, they could cast someone relatively unknown.
From Fantastic Beasts huh? She could have potential. I’m trying to think of more. I feel like there’s so many that are just escaping me.

Princess Leia

Original Poster
Don’t really know them.

This is tough.
I actually haven’t watched Issa Rae’s show, but she seems to be rising in popularity.

Janelle Monáe was in Hidden Figures, and she really wowed me in that. I just looked, and she does have a relationship with Disney now, since she’s voicing Peg in the Lady & the Tramp remake.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I thought it was done very well...

It’s a backstory - but a necessary one from the overall mcu state and direction.

Thought larson did pretty well as well...I was a fan anyway.

Mendelssohn was a great character and usual...it’s not a coincidence that he was a big part of this and a big part of the one new quality Star Wars movie.

Overall...I like that it was more of a cerebral movie than any other mcu except maybe winter soldier and dr strange.

Well done

Cosmic Commando

I really liked how they handled her powers. While she is really really strong and I worry about the Superman problem with her in the future, she does have limits. Her powers came from the space stone, which is limited by definition. The Kree were able to shackle her, there are other infinity stones, our heroes were almost able to disarm Thanos when he had four infinity stones, etc.

She is very powerful; her powers are not unlimited.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I really liked how they handled her powers. While she is really really strong and I worry about the Superman problem with her in the future, she does have limits. Her powers came from the space stone, which is limited by definition. The Kree were able to shackle her, there are other infinity stones, our heroes were almost able to disarm Thanos when he had four infinity stones, etc.

She is very powerful; her powers are not unlimited.

That’s all too geek for me...
But I agree nonetheless 👍🏻

Tony Perkis

Mike and Jay from Red Letter Media sum up my opinion much better than I could.

If you’re wanting to strictly watch a review, start 12ish minutes in. If you’re a fan of RLM, watch all of it.

Tony Perkis

Stopped listening when Brie's points were dismissed because she was a white, blonde woman.
Which was never the actual point that RLM was making.

They were criticizing her because she was using the demographics of national film critics as a means to dismiss criticism over the film.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Which was never the actual point that RLM was making.

Doesn't matter what point he was getting to. He dismissed someone advocating for gender and racial diversity for being a White woman.

Just think about the inherent contradiction there: If he was saying that she can't be an advocate for racial minorities because she's White, then he's saying she's on point with regard to gender advocacy because she's female. Which is certainly not the point he wants to make here.

Or, how about if I said these talking heads could be dismissed because they're White guys without actually listening to what they were saying?

Same thing.

Tony Perkis

Doesn't matter what point he was getting to. He dismissed someone advocating for gender and racial diversity for being a White woman.

Just think about the inherent contradiction there: If he was saying that she can't be an advocate for racial minorities because she's White, then he's saying she's on point with regard to gender advocacy because she's female. Which is certainly not the point he wants to make here.

Or, how about if I said these talking heads could be dismissed because they're White guys without actually listening to what they were saying?

Same thing.
This is largely incorrect.

RLM did not once dismiss or thoughts simply because she was a white woman. By your own admission, you would acknowledge this if you watched the video.

They were calling her out for specifically for dismissing opinions of people who aren’t the film’s represented demographics. She was deflecting criticism as if certain opinions don’t matter. They cite several examples, including Get Out and Moonlight, to highlight that good films transcend whatever her asinine idea of who a film is truly meant for should be the primary critics worth listening to.

They’ve criticized Paul Feig in the past for the exact same thing when he dismissed criticism of his terrible Ghostbusters film.

You can’t criticize their points when you didn’t even watch further to understand the nuances of their argument.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom