Captain Marvel 2: "The Marvels" -- Nov 10, 2023 Theatrical Release

TP2000

Do you make these charts? I just wondering how much free time you must have

The Numbers site makes those charts within 3 seconds for you, it's fabulous.

I am comfortably retired, and in the afternoons if I don't do a Target run to smell all the seasonal Glade candles and take photos of the Disney merchandise not moving in the toy aisle or if I don't need to make a supermarket visit to flirt with the deli counter ladies for the best cuts of ham, I have all the free time in the world! 🥳

MagicHappens1971

The Numbers site makes those charts within 3 seconds for you, it's fabulous.

I am retired, and in the afternoons if I don't do a Target run to take photos of the Disney merchandise not moving in the toy aisle or if I don't need to make a supermarket visit to flirt with the deli counter ladies for the best cuts of ham, I have all the free time in the world! 🥳

Ahh…. although the comment about making frequent Target runs just to “see what’s not moving” brought my back to my original point. But Anyway

TP2000

Ahh…. although the comment about making frequent Target runs just to “see what’s not moving” brought my back to my original point. But Anyway

I'm glad you caught that one! That's a fun one to do, especially around movie release time. 🤣

Need any Wish or The Marvels merchandise? It's over in the clearance bin. The Barbie stuff is still flying off the shelves though.

Phroobar

I'm glad you caught that one! That's a fun one to do, especially around movie release time. 🤣

Need any Wish or The Marvels merchandise? It's over in the clearance bin. The Barbie stuff is still flying off the shelves though.
Kids don't buy movie related merch anymore. The days of a new Star Wars movie selling out of toys hasn't happen since Episode One.

I get what you are saying. Wish, Wakanda, The Marvels, Buzz Lightyear are in the clearance bin.

Star Wars never keeps up with release waves in retail so things look static. I get most of my Star Wars/Hasbro toys from Hasbro Pulse online.

Jurassic World is kind of a staple in retail just like Lego, Barbie and Hot Wheels. Dinos sell with or without a movie and every little girl has at least one Barbie.

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
Now that I’ve seen the movie, I’m ba-ack!!

Stopped following the conversation back around Thanksgiving when y’all were picking apart the appearance of the DL Marvels face characters. 🙄

I think you'll enjoy it no matter whether its in theaters or on D+ at a later date.
Hubs and I watched it on D+ and I totally LOVED it. Such fun. I mean, absolutely silly, but absolutely enjoyable, and why can’t a “comic book movie” be silly and fun?

You, my dear, are a fabulous poster. I hope you'll stop lurking so much, but understand if you do. This place is generally a nuthouse, so I won't hold it against you. But you can obviously hold your own. ;)

I am assuming Simu Liu was the cute Asian Ken on the beach in the movie? He was great. But then, everyone in that movie was great. Yes, they showed Ken in a demeaning light. But that was only because it turns out Ken had missed the past 50 years and didn't know he was supposed to be anything except Barbie's date and dance partner. I'm giving away too much of the movie, but it's still fabulous. If you have daughters or young female relatives who played with Barbies, AKA any American female born after 1950, you really should rent the movie for a family night this upcoming holiday season.

It's hysterically funny, and refreshingly not trampy or trashy. It's not for those under age 12, mind you, but it's great fun.

Rent Barbie and thank me later!
On my transatlantic flight to my favorite uncle‘s final days and funeral, I pulled up Barbie on my good-sized business class screen.

I lasted 20 minutes before I felt my brain cells oozing out my ears. Couldn’t stand it. Had to turn it off.

Instead chose a crazy, enjoyable, relatable to me (because I spent summers in Ireland in the 70s and I married a college radio program director)2009 movie called The Boat That Rocked, then found out that in the US it was released called Pirate Radio. It can be found on Amazon Video, if you want to check it out. 😉
I’ve been thinking about this post, and I was wondering if these new “strong female” movies actually appeal to women more than the old strong male lead ones.

Ladies of WDW Magic… are you more interested in a movie like The Marvels with strong female leads vs a movie with a Chris Helmsworth or Chris Evans as the lead? Or are they equally appealing? Depends on the Movie? Etc?
You got a couple of answers, but I would have to go with “depends on the movie”.

I don’t care if I ever see Captain Marvel again, but loved The Marvels. Right now as background noise on the tv is Captain America The First Avenger, which I refused to see in theater when it was released, even though Cap is my hubs’ all time favorite. Sent him to see it on his own, because “WWII movie”, but now it’s one of my very favorites. Not just on account of Chris Evans 🔥 but because it’s a great story, and the score is awesome.

Big Hemsworth fan, from George Kirk in the 2009 ST to Thor. Enjoyed the first 3 Thor movies, but Love & Thunder was a mess. First GotG movie is in my top 10, but the third one, I really wanted to get up and leave the theater not even halfway through.

I liked WandaVision, esp Rambeau, but did not like Strange:Multiverse. The Ms Marvel series lost me after a couple episodes, it was waaay to frenetic, or I’m too old for that kinda *. After the second episode, I hated SheHulk. And I used to read that comic.

Another of my fave MCUs is Shang Chi and the Ten Rings. All kindsa strong characters there, male and female, sort of like real life! 😎

WorldExplorer

I watched it recently, too. It wasn't really as bad as I expected, but still pretty bad.

In regards to the end credit scene; there is no way I'm watching a movie with Kamala (who seemed to be plucked right out of a bad Disney Channel sitcom), Cassie Lang (who I loathed and haven't seen a single person say a good word about after the third one), and some other girl who I need to watch a TV show to know. Even for "free" on Disney Plus that just sounds unpleasant.

MagicHappens1971

I watched it recently, too. It wasn't really as bad as I expected, but still pretty bad.

In regards to the end credit scene; there is no way I'm watching a movie with Kamala (who seemed to be plucked right out of a bad Disney Channel sitcom), Cassie Lang (who I loathed and haven't seen a single person say a good word about after the third one), and some other girl who I need to watch a TV show to know. Even for "free" on Disney Plus that just sounds unpleasant.
I would watch anything with Kamala in it, she’s probably the only reason I watched The Marvels. Another thing that I feel we’ve lost on here is that Marvel is/was under the assumption that MCU fans are watching the D+ shows. That was the original idea when they were in development.

Phroobar

I would watch anything with Kamala in it, she’s probably the only reason I watched The Marvels. Another thing that I feel we’ve lost on here is that Marvel is/was under the assumption that MCU fans are watching the D+ shows. That was the original idea when they were in development.
Her IMDB shows only the Marvels and Ms. Marvel. She has no acting experience. Iman said: "My aunt forwarded me a WhatsApp of the casting call. I sent in a very academic resumé and the only head shot I had. I sent in my self-tape at 3am and then the next day I get a call, 'Do you have a lawyer? We want to fly you to LA' and I was like, 'I have a math test but we'll figure this out'."

So if you make animated videos of action figures and have a poster on the wall, your an actress in Disney's eyes.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Her IMDB shows only the Marvels and Ms. Marvel. She has no acting experience. Iman said: "My aunt forwarded me a WhatsApp of the casting call. I sent in a very academic resumé and the only head shot I had. I sent in my self-tape at 3am and then the next day I get a call, 'Do you have a lawyer? We want to fly you to LA' and I was like, 'I have a math test but we'll figure this out'."

So if you make animated videos of action figures and have a poster on the wall, your an actress in Disney's eyes.
So how do you think new talent gets discovered? Or do you just think that all actors/actresses just automatically come with a 100 credit resume?

LSLS

I don't think you are making a great conclusion here. Even people who hated this movie praise her work in it. Casting should be praised for the find, not ridiculed. Honestly, it makes her sound like she is the real-life Ms. Marvel, which might make her more loved.

WorldExplorer

I think the actress was fine. I just think the whole "super hero thing, but someone acts like a normal/casual person" joke is played out and that was a lot of her role.

It would be fine if any of it was funny, but I never laughed.

(Cassie's new actress sucked.)

Vegas Disney Fan

I don't think you are making a great conclusion here. Even people who hated this movie praise her work in it. Casting should be praised for the find, not ridiculed.
I’d say the same with Tatiana Maslany of She-hulk, casting is doing a great job, I wasn’t a huge fan of either of these series but the acting was the sole reason I watched all the She-hulk episodes and half the Ms Marvel episodes. Had the characters not been as good as they were I likely wouldn’t have bothered beyond the first episode of either.

LSLS

I’d say the same with Tatiana Maslany of She-hulk, casting is doing a great job, I wasn’t a huge fan of either of these series but the acting was the sole reason I watched all the She-hulk episodes and half the Ms Marvel episodes. Had the characters not been as good as they were I likely wouldn’t have bothered beyond the first episode of either.
Totally agree. She-Hulk is by far my least liked series (I hesitate to say hated, but it's close). There are others I didn't like, but it's about 3-4 steps down to that one. But I'd LOVE to see her back in the MCU. She was brilliant with what she was given.

Phroobar

So how do you think new talent gets discovered? Or do you just think that all actors/actresses just automatically come with a 100 credit resume?

Actors work hard to get a role by practicing their craft and working dead end jobs just to survive as an actor. Here you have a girl that got lucky somehow. Before applying she showed no interest in being an actress. She could have at least had a drama class and participated in community theater. She did that "on a dare" without any kind of training or having ever read a script. You can't tell me out of tens of thousands of applicants for the role, she was the best qualified? They went on personality alone and since she doesn't know the business, Disney got away really dirt cheap. I can't see her making more than union base and as probably as much as a kid on the Disney Channel.

She stumbled into the role and will stumble back out again. It isn't like we will see her in non Ms Marvel related projects of any note.

Last edited:

Phroobar

I'd say that had to do with the writing and not the actress. They could have cast someone standing in line for Space Mountain and gotten the same result. A proper dialog coach can do wonders. I'll know the entire thing is rigged if she receives an Oscar.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Actors work hard to get a role by practicing their craft and working dead end jobs just to survive as an actor. Here you have a girl that got lucky somehow. Before applying she showed no interest in being an actress. She could have at least had a drama class and participated in community theater. She did that "on a dare" without any kind of training or having ever read a script. You can't tell me out of tens of thousands of applicants for the role, she was the best qualified? They went on personality alone and since she doesn't know the business, Disney got away really dirt cheap. I can't see her making more than union base and as probably as much as a kid of the Disney Channel.

She stumbled into the role and will stumble back out again. It isn't like we will see her in non Ms Marvel related projects of any note.

You're making assumptions all around.

First you don't know she hasn't had some acting training. Just because the MCU roles were her first and currently only "official" roles listed on IMDB doesn't mean she didn't have some type of acting training. She went to a public high school in Toronto that has a well known art program including an acting program, no doubt she was part of it. It is also connected to the theater program located next door to the school.

Also she was involved with the Toronto film circuit prior to even joining the MCU. So she already had connections in the industry from that.

As for her pay scale, not sure how that is relevant to her skills as an actor. All initial roles for actors are usually at scale, so its not really that surprising if she is also paid at scale. And in reality that is good for Marvel and Disney in general as it keeps budgets down.

LSLS

Actors work hard to get a role by practicing their craft and working dead end jobs just to survive as an actor. Here you have a girl that got lucky somehow. Before applying she showed no interest in being an actress. She could have at least had a drama class and participated in community theater. She did that "on a dare" without any kind of training or having ever read a script. You can't tell me out of tens of thousands of applicants for the role, she was the best qualified? They went on personality alone and since she doesn't know the business, Disney got away really dirt cheap. I can't see her making more than union base and as probably as much as a kid on the Disney Channel.

Honestly I'm not sure your angle here. You aren't even arguing she wasn't great in the role, just complaining about how she got it (for reasons I don't totally get). She most likely was very cheap, but we talk all the time about needing to spend less on these things, so I don't think that can be a major complaint. It's also not like she's the first ever actor to land a role without a lot of other credits. There are some pretty elite actors who were randomly cast from walking around the streets. Not to mention, there are plenty of actors with lots of credits who are pretty terrible in their roles.

DKampy

Yet she was perfectly cast and just about everyone unanimously agrees she is the highlight of the current phase of the MCU… so trying to figure out what the issue is

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom