Captain Marvel 2: "The Marvels" -- Nov 10, 2023 Theatrical Release

The Great Gonzo

I laugh every time I think of how this movie failed.

They had the second most unlikable actress in Hollywood (Zegler is 1st) in the lead role. Then added in a character that didn't deserve her own show (Miss Marvel) and one that was shoehorned into Wandavision (Rambeau).

MarvelCharacterNerd

The Marvels releases on digital platforms on January 16, 2024 and will be available on 4K Ultra HD, Blu-ray and DVD on February 13, 2024.

No official word on when The Marvels will debut on Disney+.

Waiting for D+ but as I've said, I expected it on there in February. After the dvd release I suppose to give that room for sales, so now maybe late February? But I think they'd be missing the promotional opportunity for Galentine's Day.

Tony the Tigger

I'm not watching it because it looks awful. The trailer is supposed to entice you to watch more. With the unmarvelous Marvels it does not. It's just cringey and lame. At least that awful Moon Knight series looked good in a trailer, this couldn't even do that. So it's probably even worse.
This makes no sense, and I can’t take your opinion seriously if you haven’t seen the movie. It was a fun flick. Definitely better than Moon Knight.

Casper Gutman

They had the second most unlikable actress in Hollywood (Zegler is 1st) in the lead role. Then added in a character that didn't deserve her own show (Miss Marvel) and one that was shoehorned into Wandavision (Rambeau).
Ms Marvel is quite a prominent comic character, more so then many characters that have gotten their own MCU FILM. Why didn’t she deserve her own show?

And I don’t find Larson (or Ziegler) unlikable at all. Why do you suppose you do?

TP2000

I think what is fascinating is that they spent $275 Million to make this mega-bomb. Where did that money all go?!? 🤔

What's also interesting is that Americans had a tepid response to The Marvels, but comparatively the overseas foreign audiences stayed away in even bigger numbers than Americans. Clearly, the Marvel studio brand is not automatically pulling them in overseas. I think it would be best if Marvel stayed far away from any more lady superhero's for a while, and returned to their core product of superhero men being macho and saving the world from equally macho but evil bad guys.

Because whatever the heck The Marvels was supposed to be, it's a concept that clearly failed on a massive scale in the marketplace. Compared to the unimpressive semi-flop Aquaman, at least the foreigners showed up for him. The Marvels need to be permanently retired. And no, there will be no second season of Ms. Marvel after this... :rolleyes:

Where Did All That Money Go.jpg

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster

The Great Gonzo

Ms Marvel is quite a prominent comic character, more so then many characters that have gotten their own MCU FILM. Why didn’t she deserve her own show?

And I don’t find Larson (or Ziegler) unlikable at all. Why do you suppose you do?

Ms Marvel has failed multiple times in the comics, that's why they keep rebooting it. Because number 1 issues sell more.

The Great Gonzo

I think what is fascinating is that they spent $275 Million to make this mega-bomb. Where did that money all go?!? 🤔

What's also interesting is that Americans had a tepid response to The Marvels, but comparatively the overseas foreign audiences stayed away in even bigger numbers than Americans. Clearly, the Marvel studio brand is not automatically pulling them in overseas. I think it would be best if Marvel stayed far away from any more lady superhero's for a while, and returned to their core product of superhero men being macho and saving the world from equally macho but evil bad guys.

Because whatever the heck The Marvels was supposed to be, it's a concept that clearly failed on a massive scale in the marketplace. Compared to the unimpressive semi-flop Aquaman, at least the foreigners showed up for him. The Marvels need to be permanently retired. And no, there will be no second season of Ms. Marvel after this... :rolleyes:

View attachment 764380

Disney has to keep reshooting things because they aren't getting the right people for the jobs. You shouldn't have to look over a director's shoulder to make sure they're not screwing up. If someone has just done a lousy horror movie that bombed or just documentaries and episodes of the worst rated Marvel tv show, than they are not qualified.

I don't remember them having to do that when they were making hits like The Avengers movies. Or with The Avatar movies. Just get the right people, no one cares what they look like.

Phroobar

Where would someone find a physical comic book anymore outside of rare comic book shop? These things aren't sold at Target or Walmart. Even Barns & Nobel doesn't have monthly issues. They have graphic novels and omnibuses of course.

Casper Gutman

Disney has to keep reshooting things because they aren't getting the right people for the jobs. You shouldn't have to look over a director's shoulder to make sure they're not screwing up. If someone has just done a lousy horror movie that bombed or just documentaries and episodes of the worst rated Marvel tv show, than they are not qualified.

I don't remember them having to do that when they were making hits like The Avengers movies. Or with The Avatar movies. Just get the right people, no one cares what they look like.
A lot of people on these boards care a great deal what they look like.

Casper Gutman

Where would someone find a physical comic book anymore outside of rare comic book shop? These things aren't sold at Target or Walmart. Even Barns & Nobel doesn't have monthly issues. They have graphic novels and omnibuses of course.
This has been true since at least the 80s.

Miss Rori

By this logic, every single comic character “fails” frequently. It’s nonsense.
Like, poor Ms. Marvel gets soft-rebooted primarily because Marvel can't pick a concept and stick to it so it reboots all the interlinked titles every few years (All-New All-Different Marvel, etc.), everybody starts over at #1.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I finally watched this on D+…. Deserved the bad word of mouth and stigma it had.

I actually fell asleep the first time and lost the ending. Had to go back and watch again to catch it all. Just so much inconsistency in the writing… characters you didn’t care about… and seemingly forced stuff like the skrulls plot line.

Would have been fine as just yet another D+ marvel content attempt… but as a tentpole this was pretty bad. Should have been flagged at the script.

TP2000

Would have been fine as just yet another D+ marvel content attempt… but as a tentpole this was pretty bad. Should have been flagged at the script.

Except it wasn't just a tentpole, it was a $275 Million tentpole. With another $100 Million or so spent on global marketing.

And then it bombed at the global box office and lost over $200 Million for Disney. o_O

The internal business process by which that's allowed to happen is alarming.

You Don't Look So Mahvelous.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom