Captain Marvel 2: "The Marvels" -- Nov 10, 2023 Theatrical Release

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I don't know that Gunn is the best choice for the job either as I think he's the sauce, not the meal, but I'm not sure who is. 🤷‍♂️
The best person is a real producer, not necessarily a creative, but someone who cares deeply about and knows the lore of DC inside and out. Someone that knows how to weave together all the different properties and get the correct people around them to execute on the same. They need a Feige of the DC universe. Gunn is too much of a creative for this role, that is why I don't think it'll work overall.

What made Feige good at his job was he knew and cared deeply for the Marvel lore. The issues recently with the MCU have to do with him being spread too thin with too many projects to juggle, at least in my opinion.

For DC I don't know many people with that deep background that are left anymore, Gunn I don't think has that at all. But maybe someone from the comic side can be his "lieutenant", I haven't heard him tapping anyone yet for that role though. If it was me I would pick someone like Kevin Smith who has a deep background in DC lore and has produced many successful comic runs for DC (and Marvel too actually). And he even wrote the script for the Nicholas Cage Superman Lives film that didn't end up happening (but was featured in The Flash). I know he has talked about being asked by WB in the past to head up the DC film division, so he at least has the respect of the executives. I think he also has at least a good rapport with Gunn, so maybe Gunn could tap him to take up the role.

MarvelCharacterNerd

The best person is a real producer, not necessarily a creative, but someone who cares deeply about and knows the lore of DC inside and out. Someone that knows how to weave together all the different properties and get the correct people around them to execute on the same. They need a Feige of the DC universe. Gunn is too much of a creative for this role, that is why I don't think it'll work overall.

What made Feige good at his job was he knew and cared deeply for the Marvel lore. The issues recently with the MCU have to do with him being spread too thin with too many projects to juggle, at least in my opinion.

For DC I don't know many people with that deep background that are left anymore, Gunn I don't think has that at all. But maybe someone from the comic side can be his "lieutenant", I haven't heard him tapping anyone yet for that role though. If it was me I would pick someone like Kevin Smith who has a deep background in DC lore and has produced many successful comic runs for DC (and Marvel too actually). And he even wrote the script for the Nicholas Cage Superman Lives film that didn't end up happening (but was featured in The Flash). I know he has talked about being asked by WB in the past to head up the DC film division, so he at least has the respect of the executives. I think he also has at least a good rapport with Gunn, so maybe Gunn could tap him to take up the role.
I think Feige is a rarity on a lot of levels and as you said, he's been spread too thin.

It's hard when a fan takes over a franchise to not give into fannish indulgence, but instead focus on great characters and storytelling with broad appeal. Feige somehow managed this for a very long run.

While I don't think Kathleen Kennedy has been right for Star Wars as a non-creative, I'm wary of what Dave Filoni would indulge himself in (for example) if given free rein.

An example is Alex Kurtzman running Trek TV. While I felt the films were uneven, for the most part I've really enjoyed the TV shows (Picard, Discovery, and Strange New Worlds - the cartoons didn't really hit for me). However, they're TOTALLY self-indulgent. I'm a sucker for Strange New Worlds as Anson Mount is perfection and they're filled with the kind of inside Trek callbacks to the pilot that made me wish we'd also had the Pike years as originally presented. But they're SO fannish they might as well be fan-fic at times. Picard season 3 I loved best of the 3 seasons, but again because it was all so fannish! And yet, besides reunions or callbacks, are we getting anything creatively new out of those? Not really. Even Discovery is just a ripoff of Andromeda, another Roddenberry source material. And they're not expanding the fanbase with these offerings, they're serving it (which, granted, is better than NOT serving anyone at all!).

Both RTD and Steven Moffat had highs and lows throughout their Doctor Who tenures - when they're good, they're really good, but when they're self-indulgent... oh boy. An example - I LOVE Kate Stewart, but that character is just pure fan-fic. As are all the Doctor's romances. Many fans may enjoy them, but are those indulgences growing the franchise outward or turning it further inward?

So the fact that Feige could walk the line to please the fans but also draw in the non-fans was his genius. And I don't know when we'll find the likes of that again for any franchise.

For DC, I think they're still going in too many directions with too many chefs in the multi-kitchen. lol Psychological dramas with Joker (by remaking The King of Comedy :p), harkening back to the detective fiction with The Batman (but still feeling re-tready), the forthcoming Superman... I don't have the answer beyond what Marvel needs to do right now, too - tell better stories and stop filming scripts before they're fully baked. Hopefully, Gunn and his team will - the DC characters deserve better than what they've been served lately.

That said, I'd still be fully down for a bat$#!+ crazy R-rated Arkham Asylum run of movies. Maybe as low budget slasher film style? Let James Wan at those if they want to keep him in the fold doing what he does best. :D

Tha Realest

I understand your points, I just disagree. We’ll see what Gunn does but if it’s too silly and campy, in my opinion it’ll be rejected by the public.
I feel like the grittier, more morose tone of the Matt Reeves Batman series (universe?) give Gunn a little more latitude to be more silly with his. He can point over and say, “If you want a laugh or two, watch our mainline DCU films. If you want no laughs* go watch Robert Pattinson.”

* Colin Farrell excepted. I really liked The Batman, but it is a bit joyless

erasure fan1

* Colin Farrell excepted. I really liked The Batman, but it is a bit joyless
I thought it was fine. But it took me 4 times to get through it because it was so long and slow I kept falling asleep. And yea, joyless is fairly accurate. It doesn't need to be Batman forever, but you can have a bit more fun with it. Lol

Hawkeye_2018

I thought the Synderverse stuff was mostly pretty good. The biggest criticism is that the MCU, especially phase 3, was just better in nearly every way.

_caleb

I did not like The Batman. Way too long and slow
I agree. Everyone I know was saying how awesome it was to have a less-cynical Batman who leaned more into detective work, but to me it just seemed like he was just sort of there, following the clues he was spoon fed.

MagicHappens1971

81% drop from the first one. How does that even happen?
This film was never going to be as successful as the first. The first Captain Marvel film was released in between the two biggest films of the MCU and was sold as a *must see*. It was now released at a point where the MCU is not doing very well to the general public.

Rambozo

You could tell from the trailer it was a very lame movie. I put this on the list with Strange World and Indy 5, of movies I never evvvverrrrr want to see.

Rambozo

This film was never going to be as successful as the first. The first Captain Marvel film was released in between the two biggest films of the MCU and was sold as a *must see*. It was now released at a point where the MCU is not doing very well to the general public.

There's only so many times you can trick people into watching crap. Moon Knight for instance had an awesome trailer. But you soon found out while watching it, that it was just another bait and switch.

Vegas Disney Fan

I agree, the surprise is how big the drop was. I expected a 50% drop, somewhere in the $500 million range, but I never thought it would do this bad.

I feel like I’ve said that a lot this year, I think we all expected drops from the glory days, I don’t think anyone was expecting it to be such a massive drop though.

Dranth

You could tell from the trailer it was a very lame movie. I put this on the list with Strange World and Indy 5, of movies I never evvvverrrrr want to see.
So, you will never watch a movie for your entire life based off something a marketing department who had little to do with making the film does? I get not seeing it in the theater or even not paying to rent or sign up for streaming but, if it is available on something you already pay for, why limit yourself?

erasure fan1

I agree, the surprise is how big the drop was. I expected a 50% drop, somewhere in the $500 million range, but I never thought it would do this bad.
Yea, I think most thought the movie would have a significant drop. No event film to help prop it up... Stuff like that. But it was well below even the low-ball estimates that most had. On the bright side, maybe it helps streaming numbers because people like a good train wreck. And this did so bad I could see people wanting to see what all the fuss was about and why it did so poorl. Lol

Andrew C

You know what's funny?

I feel like I’ve said that a lot this year, I think we all expected drops from the glory days, I don’t think anyone was expecting it to be such a massive drop though.
This is what happens when you try to release Beauty and the Beast,The Enchanted Christmas in theaters.

Rambozo

So, you will never watch a movie for your entire life based off something a marketing department who had little to do with making the film does? I get not seeing it in the theater or even not paying to rent or sign up for streaming but, if it is available on something you already pay for, why limit yourself?

I'm not watching it because it looks awful. The trailer is supposed to entice you to watch more. With the unmarvelous Marvels it does not. It's just cringey and lame. At least that awful Moon Knight series looked good in a trailer, this couldn't even do that. So it's probably even worse.

DCBaker

Premium Member
The Marvels releases on digital platforms on January 16, 2024 and will be available on 4K Ultra HD, Blu-ray and DVD on February 13, 2024.

No official word on when The Marvels will debut on Disney+.

Phroobar

I bet if Warner Brothers released a live action Powerpuff Girls movie it would have done far better.

iu

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom