Captain Marvel 2: "The Marvels" -- Nov 10, 2023 Theatrical Release

Disney Irish

Premium Member
No, it also matters what Iger thinks. And he appears to be very unhappy with the level of quality (and volume) produced recently by Marvel.
Yes that obviously is the case, as he is the final decider of everything. That doesn't mean however that Ms Marvel or even Captain Marvel is going away from the MCU. What it means is that Feige and team if they want to keep those characters around, and there is no indication they don't, need to up their game to get the approval from Iger. And again everything so far points to Ms Marvel being one of several shows potentially getting the nod for a second season. That obviously can change, but the rumors so far point to be it being the case.

And so my point was that some random posters here on a Disney fan forum aren't the decider of these things no matter how one feels about the characters or viewership numbers.

TP2000

TV has a long history of shows that had low viewership ratings and ended up getting renewed and finding an audience.

Yes, I'm aware. As the world's first Influencer, I was an early adopter of both Phyllis and Hello, Larry and wrote some very strongly worded letters when they were pulled off the air way too early. Plot Twist: The letters didn't work. :(

Heck there are even TV shows that get cancelled and end up with a character getting a spin-off from that cancelled show.

True. But you can't build a Disney+ business case for Fiscal 2025 based on Mrs. Garrett moving over to Facts Of Life, can you?

So just because you feel that she doesn't deserve to move forward in some capacity in the MCU doesn't mean Marvel feels the same way.

If that's the argument, you've already lost.

Ms. Marvel flopped on TV, and then bombed even bigger at the movies with a $275 Million budget. And so if Marvel executives in January, 2024 at a Rancho Mirage retreat decide "You know what we should do? Lean more heavily into Ms. Marvel and really go all out on that unpopular character!" then they deserve that 3rd and 4th business bomb from the Ms. Marvel character just before they get shown the door to spend more time with their family. ;)

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Yes, I'm aware. As the world's first Influencer, I was an early adopter of both Phyllis and Hello, Larry and wrote some very strongly worded letters when they were pulled off the air way too early. Plot Twist: The letters didn't work. :(

True. But you can't build a Disney+ business case for Fiscal 2025 based on Mrs. Garrett moving over to Facts Of Life, can you?

If that's the argument, you've already lost.

Ms. Marvel flopped on TV, and then bombed even bigger at the movies with a $275 Million budget. And so if Marvel executives in January, 2024 at a Rancho Mirage retreat decide "You know what we should do? Lean more heavily into Ms. Marvel and really go all out on that unpopular character!" then they deserve that 3rd and 4th business bomb from the Ms. Marvel character just before they get shown the door to spend more time with their family. ;)
First no one said Ms Marvel was indeed getting a second season, I only stated that it remains to be seen if that is going to happen or not and that there were rumors of Disney considering it.

Second the character and the actress playing her did not cause the movie to bomb. As stated she is seen as a bright spot of the movie even by the harshest critics.

Third the Ms Marvel character still has a place within the MCU even if its just within an ensemble show or movie. So I have no doubts at this point that the character will still be around the MCU in the future.

TP2000

First no one said Ms Marvel was indeed getting a second season, I only stated that it remains to be seen if that is going to happen or not and that there were rumors of Disney considering it.

That's like saying it remains to be seen if Hello, Larry is going to get a third season in '24 after sinking in the ratings in '79.

Here's the thing; Ms. Marvel bombed in the Nielsen's in its first TV season in 2022, no second season for Ms. Marvel was ever greenlit, and then her character was featured in a mega-budget tentpole movie that bombed even bigger in 2023.

That means she isn't coming back in 2024. It's over. She wasn't a thing in 2022. Or 2023. So she won't be a thing in 2024.

Last edited:

Disney Irish

Premium Member
That's like saying it remains to be seen if Hello, Larry is going to get a third season.

Here's the thing; Ms. Marvel bombed in the Nielsen's in its first TV season in 2022, no second season for Ms. Marvel was ever greenlit, and then her character was featured in a mega-budget tentpole movie that bombed even bigger in 2023.

That means she isn't coming back in 2024. It's over. She's over. She wasn't a thing in 2022. Or 2023. So she won't be a thing in 2024.
I remain steadfast in my opinion that it remains to be seen and am sure of the characters future in the MCU.

TP2000

I remain steadfast in my opinion that it remains to be seen and am sure of the characters future in the MCU.

That's not an opinion. It's a limp statement of obviousness that means nothing.

Do you think Ms. Marvel is going to be super hot with the kids in 2024 or not?

I don't think she will, and I doubt we'll ever hear from her again. She failed. Bombed. Flopped. Twice.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
That's not an opinion. It's a limp statement of obviousness that means nothing.

Do you think Ms. Marvel is going to be super hot with the kids in 2024 or not?

I don't think she will, and I doubt we'll ever hear from her again. She failed. Bombed. Flopped. Twice.
My opinion is that Ms Marvel will be in the MCU in the future. Period. In what form I don't know. It could be a season two of the Ms Marvel show, it could be in a standalone movie, it could be in a Young Avengers show, it could be in one or more Avengers or Young Avengers movies. But I have no doubt that the character and the actress playing her will play a role in the MCU in the future. Period. Full Stop.

That is my opinion. Call it what you want, but that is my opinion even if you disagree. I respect your opinion even if you don't watch any of the MCU content, now please respect mine.

TP2000

But I have no doubt that the character and the actress playing her will play a role in the MCU in the future. Period. Full Stop.

Are you Gavin Newsom? I had no idea!

That is my opinion. Call it what you want, but that is my opinion even if you disagree. I respect your opinion even if you don't watch any of the MCU content, now please respect mine.

And if Marvel executives continue to put a character that the free market audience has rejected, twice, into future content then they are more stupid than some of us even feared. And thus they deserve every business failure they get with the 3rd and 4th relaunch of the failed Ms. Marvel character in future products.

But let's hope they aren't that stupid, for the sake of the shareholders and the future of the company. ;)

Phroobar

The problem is these shows and movies takes years to make and really can't be stopped or reversed due to previous projects. They will release crap until the queue is empty. Disney can't turn on a dime.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
But they can delay a release for a year, add new writers, and reshoot the film. It’s a start…..

Except they are not delaying for an entire year, they are delaying by 7 months. And they aren't rewriting and reshooting the entire film, they are adding/changing certain scenes/story points and doing reshoots of that. All of which are very common in the MCU and Hollywood in general.

In the future we know that there will be changes to the MCU process which will hopefully mean less of these type of changes and reshoots.

Phroobar

Reshoots are to make the film better. Disney could always save money and send a sub-par movie out 'as is.' Spending the money to polish the movie should be celebrated rather than be a sign of doom.

Y'all: Think of a movie you really liked. It most likely had reshoots.
They are already sending out subpar movies with lots of reshoots. Sometimes messing with something is not a good idea. They need to know when to stop.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster
They are already sending out subpar movies with lots of reshoots. Sometimes messing with something is not a good idea. They need to know when to stop.
Almost all studios' great and not-so-great movies have had reshoots.

Now, you can take that statement like a Rorschach test and read into it your own bias when you hear a Disney movie is having reshoots (Disney bad!). Or, you can take that as what it is: Normal for the biz and not a sign of quality or success.

LSLS

Almost all studios' great and not-so-great movies have had reshoots.

Now, you can take that statement like a Rorschach test and read into it your own bias when you hear a Disney movie is having reshoots (Disney bad!). Or, you can take that as what it is: Normal for the biz and not a sign of quality or success.

Reshoots in and of itself is not a big deal, but a large amount can be. Filming a few things to set a scene up better, or add more context is one thing and I'd venture to guess usually is a good thing. Reshooting a large amount of the movie because it was received so poorly is a lot different, and if I remember correctly, usually leads to very bad/poor performing movies if I'm remembering when I looked into it.

_caleb

For everyone claiming reshoots are an indication that the film is in trouble or will be bad, what are the right amount of reshoots?

LSLS

For everyone claiming reshoots are an indication that the film is in trouble or will be bad, what are the right amount of reshoots?
That I've got no answer for. I just know when you go and look at movies with the most reshoots, the majority of them were not good films. And honestly I could see that making sense. I mean, the theory would be it was shot, started to be put together, and major parts weren't working at all. So, there was a need to completely change things, but instead of having the months and months to write and storyboard, you real quick need to switch it all up to something totally new.

Now, there are some where it came out great, so I don't think it's a steadfast rule that "Tons of reshoots means it's going to be awful", but I do see why that would give some concern.

Prince-1

Back to the Future had huge reshoots as the original Marty McFly, Eric Stoltz, was not cutting it so they fired him after principal photography began and the rest is history. The footage of him is online and is fun to watch.

TP2000

Reshoots are to make the film better. Disney could always save money and send a sub-par movie out 'as is.' Spending the money to polish the movie should be celebrated rather than be a sign of doom.

Y'all: Think of a movie you really liked. It most likely had reshoots.

Too often reshoots, or bad editing of reshoots, can be distracting and take you out of the scene.

One of my all-time favorites is Auntie Mame. But when I got the Blu-Ray a decade or so ago, I can't tell you how disturbed I was to notice in the patio scene at Upson Downs that Mame's cocktail napkin appears and disappears from cut to cut. When Claude tells her his daquiri's are made with a "secret ingredient" he learned from a native down in Havana, Mame has a cocktail napkin in her hand, but a second later when he leans in to coo "honeeey" in her ear, the cocktail napkin is gone. Then it reappears a moment later. Disturbing! And it mars a piece of truly great art. :cool:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom