Captain Marvel 2: "The Marvels" -- Nov 10, 2023 Theatrical Release

TP2000

I would assume this kills the CM franchise. And whatever plans they had for her in future team up films, they almost certainly have to reduce her role now. They should just kill off the character and give the next big villain some major creditability and fear factor

I would also assume this kills any attempt at a Season 2 for Ms. Marvel.

That show already had dreadfully low Nielsen ratings for Season 1, and failed to create any sort of buzz or following among Marvel's core fans of teenage boys and young men (which any straight male Marvel executive who ever went through puberty should've seen coming from a mile away).

A Season 2 for that show quickly evaporated just based on the Nielsen's and free market audience response to Ms. Marvel.

But now? After the mega-budgeted and mega-hyped $275 Million movie flopped just as badly as Season 1 of Ms. Marvel?

I would have to assume that all three of these leading characters from The Marvels will never be heard from again.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I would assume this kills the CM franchise. And whatever plans they had for her in future team up films, they almost certainly have to reduce her role now. They should just kill off the character and give the next big villain some major creditability and fear factor
Nope, star Brie Larson has already confirmed she will appear in at least one of the next Avenger films.

IMBD did an article on it -

Willmark

When talks break down, Dar-Benn rips open another jump point which siphons the atmosphere from Tarnax to restore breathable air to Hala.

So basically this?
c7edd8c24927f5822401c070c95b9f35--space-debris-lost-in-space.jpg

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I would also assume this kills any attempt at a Season 2 for Ms. Marvel.

That show already had dreadfully low Nielsen ratings for Season 1, and failed to create any sort of buzz or following among Marvel's core fans of teenage boys and young men (which any straight male Marvel executive who ever went through puberty should've seen coming from a mile away).

A Season 2 for that show quickly evaporated just based on the Nielsen's and free market audience response to Ms. Marvel.

But now? After the mega-budgeted and mega-hyped $275 Million movie flopped just as badly as Season 1 of Ms. Marvel?

I would have to assume that all three of these leading characters from The Marvels will never be heard from again.

Whether there will be a Season 2 or not for the Ms Marvel show remains to be seen. But one thing if for sure, star Iman Vellani will continue in the MCU in the future.

TP2000

Whether there will be a Season 2 or not for the Ms Marvel show remains to be seen.

No. Sometimes you just need to state your opinion instead of hiding behind "Well, no one knows what will happen..."

Ms. Marvel bombed on TV, and she bombed even bigger at the movies. She's over, and she's not coming back.

But one thing if for sure, star Iman Vellani will continue in the MCU in the future.

Why would they do that? Her character didn't resonate with audiences, her TV show was a massive flop, and the movie she was in was a box office bomb. By what sane measure would anyone approve future funding for that business plan?

And on top of all that data, I got zero Ms. Marvel's on my doorstep this past Halloween. So the science proves it. :cool:

Last edited:

Disney Irish

Premium Member
No. Sometimes you just need to state your opinion instead of just spinelessly claiming "Well, no one knows what will happen..."

Ms. Marvel bombed on TV, and she bombed even bigger at the movies. She's over, and she's not coming back.
There have already been some rumors of season 2's for several D+ shows being considered including Ms Marvel earlier this month. That is why I'm saying it remains to be seen.

Why would they do that? Her character didn't resonate with audiences, her TV show was a massive flop, and the movie she was in was a box office bomb. By what sane measure would anyone approve future funding for that business plan?
Because she is going to be part of the Young Avengers team. This has been something that the MCU has been setting up for a long time. So just because you think her character hasn't resonated and doesn't deserve a future, doesn't mean the powers-that-be at Marvel feel the same way.

TP2000

So just because you think her character hasn't resonated and doesn't deserve a future, doesn't mean the powers-that-be at Marvel feel the same way.

Then the executives at Marvel are idiots and deserve every flop and bomb they can garner before they are shown the door.

MoonRakerSCM

Have Kang kill her. Only way to add ANY threat level to the Kang character... have one of him kill off CM. She held her own against Thanos... would be a good way to get people to consider Kang as an actual threat if he takes her out.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Then the executives at Marvel are idiots and deserve every flop and bomb they can garner before they are shown the door.
Since you don't watch any of the MCU content I don't really see why you care if the character gets a season 2 or has a future in the MCU anyways.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Have Kang kill her. Only way to add ANY threat level to the Kang character... have one of him kill off CM. She held her own against Thanos... would be a good way to get people to consider Kang as an actual threat if he takes her out.
It would be an interesting thought. But I think they would rather keep the Captain Marvel character for cosmic movies in the future, even if she gets sidelined for a bit.

TP2000

Since you don't watch any of the MCU content I don't really see why you care if the character gets a season 2 or has a future in the MCU anyways.

I could care less about the individual characters for movies and shows I will never see. But Nielsen ratings, box office data, and business results for a company I care about is important to me.

Ms. Marvel has failed on TV, failed at the movies, and failed in the free marketplace. She doesn't get to keep going after that.

But if she does get to keep going, and Disney spends money and resources on that failed product, then Disney deserves every unprofitable quarter and business venture they put those failed characters/products into. They're idiots if they go that route.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I could care less about the individual characters for movies and shows I will never see. But Nielsen ratings, box office data, and business results for a company I care about is important to me.

Ms. Marvel has failed on TV, failed at the movies, and failed in the free marketplace. She doesn't get to keep going after that.

But if she does get to keep going, and Disney spends money and resources on that failed product, then Disney deserves every unprofitable quarter and business venture they put those failed characters/products into. They're idiots if they go that route.
TV has a long history of shows that had low viewership ratings and ended up getting renewed and finding an audience. Heck there are even TV shows that get cancelled and end up with a character getting a spin-off from that cancelled show.

So just because you feel that she doesn't deserve to move forward in some capacity in the MCU doesn't mean Marvel feels the same way. By all accounts the largest glowing review for The Marvels was Iman Vellani's performance as Ms Marvel. So she obviously resonated enough to be the bright spot for a large majority of reviewers that panned the movie. That right there would be enough to greenlight any project with her and that character going forward if they didn't already have plans for her.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Can you imagine being the Marvel executive that has to go to Burbank and ask for $150M for a Ms Marvel Season 2?
I'm sure there will be more budget control happening post-2023, but I can't image Feige having to ask for much from Burbank on specific projects. Instead I imagine Burbank is asking Feige what do you need to right the ship...

erasure fan1

By all accounts the largest glowing review for The Marvels was Iman Vellani's performance as Ms Marvel. So she obviously resonated enough to be the bright spot for a large majority of reviewers that panned the movie. That right there would be enough to greenlight any project with her and that character going forward if they didn't already have plans for her.
Yes it did seem people thought she was a bright spot of the film. The problem I see is that obviously not enough people saw the film to make it matter. Her show had the lowest viewership of all the shows so I doubt a good performance in the lowest viewed mcu film will justify her getting a second season. All that gets her is some small bit parts in a team up film or show.

The only real chance of a second season for her is if they give it a small budget and are happy with it being a niche product. And that would be great. I think part of the D+ problem is with the kind of budgets they allocate, they need much bigger viewership. That's why I was so mad about muppets mayhem. It was a more niche product, very well received, won lots of awards, yet they wouldn't keep it. Let these smaller stories find a home and develop.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Yes it did seem people thought she was a bright spot of the film. The problem I see is that obviously not enough people saw the film to make it matter. Her show had the lowest viewership of all the shows so I doubt a good performance in the lowest viewed mcu film will justify her getting a second season. All that gets her is some small bit parts in a team up film or show.

The only real chance of a second season for her is if they give it a small budget and are happy with it being a niche product. And that would be great. I think part of the D+ problem is with the kind of budgets they allocate, they need much bigger viewership. That's why I was so mad about muppets mayhem. It was a more niche product, very well received, won lots of awards, yet they wouldn't keep it. Let these smaller stories find a home and develop.
Except the MCU isn't niche, specific characters may be, but the MCU as a whole is not. Also Ms Marvel, while ratings were low, is the top reviewed in the MCU for both movies and shows at 98% RT.

That being said as some have said here before the Young Avengers would do well in a D+ show to start before moving to a large scale film, and I agree. So even if Ms Marvel doesn't get a second season, Iman Vellani and the character is going to move forward in the MCU whether that is in a D+ show or a movie.

But as I mentioned its already rumored that Ms Marvel and several other shows are being considered for a second season.

So it doesn't matter what any of us say here, it only matters what Feige and team think.

erasure fan1

Except the MCU isn't niche, specific characters may be, but the MCU as a whole is not.
And maybe that's the problem. Ms Marvel is niche, like it or not, and shouldn't be expected to pull huge numbers. And forcing her into more big projects would be a mistake. Let her build her audience without the pressure of an uber blockbuster expectation.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
And maybe that's the problem. Ms Marvel is niche, like it or not, and shouldn't be expected to pull huge numbers. And forcing her into more big projects would be a mistake. Let her build her audience without the pressure of an uber blockbuster expectation.
I don't think they're forcing her though. They are building Young Avengers, that takes having characters introduced and stories progressed. I don't see any complaints about Kate Bishop being "forced", and yet she seems to be accepted, and also moving forward into the Young Avengers.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom