Captain Marvel 2: "The Marvels" -- Nov 10, 2023 Theatrical Release

MarvelCharacterNerd

The ages are wrong, it's obvious to anyone with eyes. You can't cast a 32 year old to play a 17 year old girl and expect people to believe it.

Iman Vellani is supposed to be a teenager in High School, Teyonah Paris is in the middle age-wise, and Brie Larson just turned 34 this year.

But that's not how TDA chose to cast these roles for this blink-and-you'll-miss-them character appearance this month.

themarvels-header-copy-2.jpg

There are labor laws that prevent 10 year old children from working in theme parks. You have to be 16 at the youngest. No one expects a real 11 year old boy from Holland Park to play Peter in the Christmas Parade. On the other hand, casting women aged 18 to 35 to play characters aged 17 to 34 is entirely legal and should be expected from a very successful company like Disney.

There were no cracks about the Cast Members work performance at all. The blatantly obvious issue for anyone with decent vision is that TDA chose to cast actresses who were the wrong age ranges and seemingly wrong ethnicity to play The Marvels. Why they made that choice I have no idea, but it has nothing to do with the 19 year old lady playing Monica Rambeau or the 32 year old Latina playing Kamala Khan.

I don't blame those three women one bit for taking the Disneyland gig. Who would blame them? But TDA should've had a wider casting call and/or offered more money to cast these roles for The Marvels if they really felt they were important.
1700712897570.png

MarvelCharacterNerd

Meanwhile, back on the subject of Captain Marvel - this just came out and it's adorable:

1700712957973.png

I love that they keep making these in conjunction with the movies. :) I also love the 'bot battles that happen on Campus at night. Kids love it, too. :)

MrPromey

Sony is the only big time movie studio that doesn't have a streaming option in its corporate structure. So, they can play the field.

Sony has a deal with Netflix and Disney to use Netflix as their pay-1 post-theatrical streamer, and then it goes to D+/Hulu.

This is why the Sony/Marvel Spider-Man movies are eventually winding up on D+.
Pretty sure (too lazy to look it up) the new Goosebumps show is produced by Sony, too, which would mean they're also making original content for D+.

Last edited:

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Pretty sure (too lazy to look it up) the new Goosebumps show is produced by Sony, too, which would mean they're also making original content for D+.
Yes it did.

Just like Disney Television with 20th Century Television and ABC Signature, Sony Television produces many shows for other studios and streamers.

Trauma

So this is just your normal discount to acquire new customers right ?

What’s Netflix’s Black Friday deal?

If Disney is ever to make money streaming they need content that people want to watch.

Are parents going to pay year after year, so their kids can watch Bluey, Frozen and Encanto on a loop forever ?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster

If Disney is ever to make money streaming they need content that people want to watch.

Are parents going to pay year after year, so their kids can watch Bluey, Frozen and Encanto on a loop forever ?
You have zero business acumen.

This deal is for the ad tier. Ad dollars bring in more money than the premier no-ads tier. Disney is getting much more than $3 a month from those who sign up.

It's no secret that we like Disney Plus a lot, it is the home of the Star Wars and Marvel Cinematic Universes after all. We even have a round-up of the best sci-fi movies and TV shows to stream on Disney Plus. The only catch, if you can call it that, is that this plan comes with ads. However, given that Disney Plus alone is $7.99 with ads and Hulu is 87% off, it's a huge saving and one definitely worth considering.​

And what does this have to do with The Marvels?

You gonna post this incredibly misinformed gotchya post in several other threads now?

Trauma

You have zero business acumen.

This deal is for the ad tier. Ad dollars bring in more money than the premier no-ads tier. Disney is getting much more than $3 a month from those who sign up.

It's no secret that we like Disney Plus a lot, it is the home of the Star Wars and Marvel Cinematic Universes after all. We even have a round-up of the best sci-fi movies and TV shows to stream on Disney Plus. The only catch, if you can call it that, is that this plan comes with ads. However, given that Disney Plus alone is $7.99 with ads and Hulu is 87% off, it's a huge saving and one definitely worth considering.​

And what does this have to do with The Marvels?

You gonna post this incredibly misinformed gotchya post in several other threads now?
Well my zero business acumen has made me millions.

But at least your better at spin then I am :)

People are posting in this thread about D+ road to profitability, so that’s why I posted this in the Marvels thread.

I’m sure in your enormous business mind you think ad tier is going to make money just because Bob told ya so.

Here’s the deal-

Advertisers are only going to pay for ads to get in front of eyeballs.

If Disney continues to release content the masses don’t care about, it’s not going to work.

If I can pay a Google to get in front of more eyes for less $$$ then why bother with D+?

When the recession comes people are going to take an close look at where the $$ is being spent and will reduce down to one streaming service.

You really think the #1 choice is going to be D+?

Tha Realest

Looks like we’ll have to keep waiting for the Marvel’s weekend update as it’s so sad it isn’t even mentioned. I mean who would expect a $275M Marvel movie to compete against a low budget horror movie over a holiday weekend?’

Hey, it just passed Morbius.

MarvelCharacterNerd

Worked for me. I jumped at this price, so I guess I'll be catching The Marvels the day it hits streaming. :)

(I know, I know - countdown 5, 4, 3, 2... I still say February!)

LSLS

I posted over in the spoilers, but nonspoiler, I enjoyed the movie. I thought the acting was extremely good, but the writing/directing was below average. Overall I had fun, which should be the ultimate test of a movie. It's sad to me it's doing as poorly as it is, because I'd really like to see more of Captain Marvel and Ms. Marvel (though Monica I just didn't care nearly as much for).

TP2000

If they went with a 45-day window, technically they could get it on there for Christmas. But again, I expect February since they have new Marvel offerings for December and January (What If? season 2 and Echo).

But I think they could have had a bigger hit on their hands:

If there's anything that males aged 14 to 25 love more than Marvel superheroes, it's cat videos. And subversively ironic cute cat videos at that, dressed up in capes and meowing a lot for the camera.

That young male demographic loves those kind of cat videos, even more than the 54-year-old-single-women-who-work-in-Payroll demographic loves cat videos.

Marvel has nailed it with this one! This new The Marvels movie is going to be a huge hit! Just wait until it really takes off at the box office on Weekend #4! Right? 🤔

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom