Captain Marvel 2: "The Marvels" -- Nov 10, 2023 Theatrical Release

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Keeping with your derailment...

I agree, anyone who always worked remotely knows how to do it well. SOME of the people who "discovered" WFH because of the pandemic are actually abusing it, and it reflects badly on everyone.

I'm of a generation that knows from working in an office, and working from home is lonely and odd, but for many tasks, productive. I get it. But I also get that there are some newbs to the WFH that are taking advantage. Sucks for everyone.
Exactly the broad generalization that WFH is someone "drinking Merlot while on a Zoom call" (direct quotes from some posters here) is not even close to correct. Sure there are some who abused it, but its no different than anyone who abuses any system.

TP2000

Vintage 1963. The profile pic is about 10 years old, I'd taken my mom to WDW for her 70th bday, we had a great trip and breakfast at Crystal Palace with Pooh and Pals was a highlight.

Yeah, let's not. As the payroll lady, I have plenty to say about it. Glad you appreciated the story. Up the Patriarchy! (not really, I am a strong woman, but I believe in fairness above all)

You've mentioned your love of Barbie in a few threads. ;) The VOD trailers are a lot less...dumb? 😬 but they also show Ryan Gosling's Ken in a little bit of a demeaning light. Did I mention that I still have my 1970s Barbie dolls in the basement?

You, my dear, are a fabulous poster. I hope you'll stop lurking so much, but understand if you do. This place is generally a nuthouse, so I won't hold it against you. But you can obviously hold your own. ;)

Who am I kidding...the only reason I'm tempted to watch Barbie is because Simu Liu is a Ken, and I totally LOVED Shang-Chi and the Ten Rings. #marvelFTW

I am assuming Simu Liu was the cute Asian Ken on the beach in the movie? He was great. But then, everyone in that movie was great. Yes, they showed Ken in a demeaning light. But that was only because it turns out Ken had missed the past 50 years and didn't know he was supposed to be anything except Barbie's date and dance partner. I'm giving away too much of the movie, but it's still fabulous. If you have daughters or young female relatives who played with Barbies, AKA any American female born after 1950, you really should rent the movie for a family night this upcoming holiday season.

It's hysterically funny, and refreshingly not trampy or trashy. It's not for those under age 12, mind you, but it's great fun.

Rent Barbie and thank me later!

TP2000

Exactly the broad generalization that WFH is someone "drinking Merlot while on a Zoom call" (direct quotes from some posters here) is not even close to correct.

That was me.

I am proud to remind everyone here that I invented the phrase "drinking Merlot out of their coffee mug on a Zoom call". 🤣

I think I also mentioned that they were "working" in their pajamas. Or, at best, sweat pants and other casual wear that is inappropriate for a professional business environment. Or any decent restaurant.

Sure there are some who abused it, but its no different than anyone who abuses any system.

I can agree with you on that. There are always a few laggards who abuse any system at work.

But I just fear that the whole work-from-home scam forced onto society by a faux pandemic that we all over-reacted to just a tad has ruined a lot of America's work ethic. Or, more accurately, ruined a lot of Americans careers who could have advanced faster if they had been physically in the office interacting with colleagues and bosses in the way humans have interacted with each other for the past 10,000 years.

Zoom is a great invention, worthy of a prime spot in a big World's Fair pavilion, but it is not a complete replacement for regular human interaction. Especially for a career. And especially if you've got Merlot in your coffee mug on a Zoom call.

Last edited:

TP2000

Word of mouth killing this movie.

Disney/Marvel Studios’ The Marvels at 4,030 is seeing a second Friday of $3.5M and second weekend of $12.25M (-73%) for a running total by Sunday of $67M.

Seriously? The Marvels was supposed to get a mere $16 Million this weekend, for a 65% drop off from its debut.

Not that a 65% drop off is good, it's horrible really, but at least it would be not too much worse than Quantumania.

But if The Marvels only gets $13 Million domestically in its second weekend, that would mean it's heading towards a box office loss of $150 Million or more. Which pushes Disney overall towards a $1 Billion loss for 2023.

Meanwhile, there's no night parade in either WDW or Disneyland, there's no new ride under construction or even announced, and both WDW and Disneyland Resort are woefully short of ride capacity and entertainment in all of their parks.

But, sure, spend over $300 Million to produce and market The Marvels and then lose a hundred million or more on that. :banghead:

Disney Irish

Premium Member
That was me.

I am proud to remind everyone here that I invented the phrase "drinking Merlot out of their coffee mug on a Zoom call". 🤣

I think I also mentioned that they were "working" in their pajamas. Or, at best, sweat pants and other casual wear that is inappropriate for a professional business environment. Or any decent restaurant.

I can agree with you on that. There are always a few laggards who abuse any system at work.

But I just fear that the whole work-from-home scam forced onto society by a faux pandemic that we all over-reacted to just a tad has ruined a lot of America's work ethic. Or, more accurately, ruined a lot of Americans careers who could have advanced faster if they had been physically in the office interacting with colleagues and bosses in the way humans have interacted with each other for the past 10,000 years.

Zoom is a great invention, worthy of a prime spot in a big World's Fair pavilion, but it is not a complete replacement for regular human interaction. Especially for a career. And especially if you've got Merlot in your coffee mug on a Zoom call.
Once again its not a scam, nor was the pandemic "faux".

As for what one wears while working from home, I don't see how that matters if one is not in an office. The attire one would wear at home is suited for home, even when performing tasks for an employer. As long as one is able to perform the tasks set out by the employer while at home it shouldn't matter what attire is worn outside an office setting.

In addition I can say personally I've advanced faster in my career while working from home than I ever did while in an office. And I have plenty of colleagues who've done the same. I also have just as much interaction with my co-workers while working from home than I did in the office.

As I mentioned there are people that abused it, no denying that. I will also add that there are some jobs or even personalities that may not be suited for the work from home setting. But the broad generalizations you make reflect how outdated you are to the modern corporation. With global work forces there is no longer just local people, teams are across the world. So you don't work with someone in the cube/office next to you. To give you an example, my day today was working with a coworker in Lehi Utah. If I was in an office I'd still be on a Zoom conference with them. So it didn't matter where I was sitting, whether that be at home or in an office. Nor did it have any impact on whether I was professional or the work ethic I have.

Just because that type of work environment doesn't suit you doesn't make it a scam. I can personally attest to it being a work environment where one can flourish and excel provided one has the right mindset.

Anyways we've gotten way off topic.

Ghost93

I think one of the few things we can all agree on is that Marvel has flooded the marketplace with too much product in the past few years, and thus cheapened and weakened their brand. People are over it, and the audience collapse is most notable among the kids. Gen Z did not show up for The Marvels; they've tuned it all out now.
One issue with the Marvels is that it feels like it was intended to draw in new, young, Gen Z viewers with the tone, but it requires you to be fairly up-to-date with all of the MCU movies and shows to be invested in the story and characters. It's not a good "on-ramp" for new viewers.

doctornick

I've followed this thread from post #1, and I know I'm going to regret jumping into the conversation, but...

To those of you saying adult women haven't shown up to this movie...comic books were never really aimed at us. I only know the story of "Captain Marvel" because I married a (nerd? geek? whatever, he's a wonderful husband, even if he is expensive to keep) who kind of filled me in...I say kind of, because I wasn't all that interested in intergalactic heroism.

When I was a kid (and I think I'm of a similar age to @TP2000), mom took me and my brother to the corner store to buy comics. I was allowed to buy Archie comics, while my brother got Spiderman and Batman. I read his comics as well as mine. I remember the death of Gwen Stacy, and my absolute all time favorite comic story was the origin of Metamorpho.

I've seen all the MCU movies in the theater because we went together. If I wasn't married to my fella, I might not have seen any of them.

For the record, I haven't seen the Barbie movie either. Saw the first trailer and felt my IQ drop by 15 points. Was just told the other day at work, by a raging feminist (who deigns to come into the office once a quarter post-Covid, when she was M-F 9-5er three years ago, but that's neither here nor there) who told me that I would love the Barbie movie because it's extremely feminist and takes down the patriarchy (w00t, I also read that it's a little TOO rough on the patriarchy, maybe I will have to watch for myself to decide).

So, back to Marvel and The Marvels. The aforementioned nerd/geek/whatever watches all the D+ series. I wanted to like Ms Marvel, but it was too...much? for me. We saw Captain Marvel (was that the title of the movie?) in the theater with everyone else, and it was ok, but not enough to draw me to the theater to see the follow up, no matter how much I liked Monica Rambeau in the WandaVision (and I thought she kicked butt in that series).

Basically, I think this movie is aimed squarely at comic book fans who know who the characters are, so it's no surprise that "men of a certain age" make up the majority of ticket buyers. Hurrah for them, and I hope they enjoy the movie. From what y'all who have seen it have said, I think I might like it too. But movie ticket prices being what they are, I will probably wait for the D+ release. I'll have to ask my hubs ;)
I think everything you are saying is correct. But my question is: how is that any different from any other MCU film? the entire film series has basically been aimed towards comic book fans while trying to have enough broad appeal to be enjoyable for non fans of all backgrounds.

I think there’s a variety of reasons why The Marvels has done poorly, but I don’t see how aiming for a different audience compared to other MCU films is one of the reasons.

MrPromey

Now I'm terrified.
No, he's right.

That person's response was basically "Nothing more needs to be said. She just laid it all out."

Agree or not agree - no big deal. Defending and attacking ideas is fair game but nobody should be attacking people.

You bring a unique perspective and have a great way of expressing yourself. You should post more.

Some people around here are jerks and some just don't always appreciate how they come across in writing to people who don't know them* (I think I'm guilty of this sometimes) but the ignore button works great when it comes to the jerks and more often than not, the people who are respectful and provide interesting insights with have defenders, too.

*also, some of us have been here a long time and are very familiar with each other's ramblings so sometimes you'll see some of us say something that could be taken as mean but really isn't. I imagine it can be confusing to see what looks like a heated argument in one thread with people that don't seem to like each other and then those same two people in complete agreement in another but it happens all the time.

MrPromey

Yeah I don't really care anymore about the budgets and such. I was just pointing out that a big franchise that was expected to do big box office also appears to be faltering, ie a trend that has plagued the entire box office this year.
If the sure things aren't turning out to be such sure things anymore, maybe it's time to give originality more of a chance again.

One can hope.

The plus side for the studios is that unproven properties with new actors could be a heck of a lot cheaper to produce, at least which in the DTC world, would be an important consideration, I'd imagine.

Vegas Disney Fan

I've followed this thread from post #1, and I know I'm going to regret jumping into the conversation, but...

To those of you saying adult women haven't shown up to this movie...comic books were never really aimed at us. I only know the story of "Captain Marvel" because I married a (nerd? geek? whatever, he's a wonderful husband, even if he is expensive to keep) who kind of filled me in...I say kind of, because I wasn't all that interested in intergalactic heroism.

When I was a kid (and I think I'm of a similar age to @TP2000), mom took me and my brother to the corner store to buy comics. I was allowed to buy Archie comics, while my brother got Spiderman and Batman. I read his comics as well as mine. I remember the death of Gwen Stacy, and my absolute all time favorite comic story was the origin of Metamorpho.

I've seen all the MCU movies in the theater because we went together. If I wasn't married to my fella, I might not have seen any of them.

For the record, I haven't seen the Barbie movie either. Saw the first trailer and felt my IQ drop by 15 points. Was just told the other day at work, by a raging feminist (who deigns to come into the office once a quarter post-Covid, when she was M-F 9-5er three years ago, but that's neither here nor there) who told me that I would love the Barbie movie because it's extremely feminist and takes down the patriarchy (w00t, I also read that it's a little TOO rough on the patriarchy, maybe I will have to watch for myself to decide).

So, back to Marvel and The Marvels. The aforementioned nerd/geek/whatever watches all the D+ series. I wanted to like Ms Marvel, but it was too...much? for me. We saw Captain Marvel (was that the title of the movie?) in the theater with everyone else, and it was ok, but not enough to draw me to the theater to see the follow up, no matter how much I liked Monica Rambeau in the WandaVision (and I thought she kicked butt in that series).

Basically, I think this movie is aimed squarely at comic book fans who know who the characters are, so it's no surprise that "men of a certain age" make up the majority of ticket buyers. Hurrah for them, and I hope they enjoy the movie. From what y'all who have seen it have said, I think I might like it too. But movie ticket prices being what they are, I will probably wait for the D+ release. I'll have to ask my hubs ;)
I’ve been thinking about this post, and I was wondering if these new “strong female” movies actually appeal to women more than the old strong male lead ones.

Ladies of WDW Magic… are you more interested in a movie like The Marvels with strong female leads vs a movie with a Chris Helmsworth or Chris Evans as the lead? Or are they equally appealing? Depends on the Movie? Etc?

DKampy

Wowzers. That’s a terrible drop, after a terrible opening. Someone alert @DKampy , who has strong opinions when films have second week drops in the 70’s

View attachment 754636
I agree it’s a bad drop… but you want to take my original post out of context.., that is not unusual for these boards

I was replying to another poster who said Freddy had a decent 2nd weekend… which was among the top 5 worst drops in history… and I will also say it appears The Marvels will be also which is too bad…

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
I’ve been thinking about this post, and I was wondering if these new “strong female” movies actually appeal to women more than the old strong male lead ones.

Ladies of WDW Magic… are you more interested in a movie like The Marvels with strong female leads vs a movie with a Chris Helmsworth or Chris Evans as the lead? Or are they equally appealing? Depends on the Movie? Etc?
Strong male lead (comic book) characters* are more appealing to me. Just because I'm a woman, doesn't mean I'd be automatically interested in watching The Marvels.

* My favorite Marvel character is Wolverine, btw.

TP2000

I agree it’s a bad drop… but you want to take my original post out of context.., that is not unusual for these boards

I was replying to another poster who said Freddy had a decent 2nd weekend… which was among the top 5 worst drops in history… and I will also say it appears The Marvels will be also which is too bad…

The difference is that Freddy's only cost $25 Million to make and made a cool $22 Million in box office profit its first weekend. The $100 Million in box office that came after Freddy's opening weekend was icing on that already profitable cake.

As of yesterday, Freddy's has a global box office of $262 Million; $130 domestic and $132 foreign.

Freddy's: $25 Production, $25 Marketing, $78 Domestic, $53 Foreign = $81 Million Profit

_caleb

The difference is that Freddy's only cost $25 Million to make and made a cool $22 Million in box office profit its first weekend. The $100 Million in box office that came after Freddy's opening weekend was icing on that already profitable cake.

As of yesterday, Freddy's has a global box office of $262 Million; $130 domestic and $132 foreign.

Freddy's: $25 Production, $25 Marketing, $78 Domestic, $53 Foreign = $81 Million Profit
Apples and oranges

TP2000

Apples and oranges

A week ago I would have agreed.

But now that it looks like The Marvels won't even get to the $130 Million that Freddy's made at the domestic box office, it's an interesting comparison. And it begs the question...

Why did Gen Z turn out in huge numbers for PG-13 Freddy's, but has ignored Marvel's latest PG-13 $275 Million tentpole?

Miss Rori

A week ago I would have agreed.

But now that it looks like The Marvels won't even get to the $130 Million that Freddy's made at the domestic box office, it's an interesting comparison. And it begs the question...

Why did Gen Z turn out in huge numbers for PG-13 Freddy's, but has ignored Marvel's latest PG-13 $275 Million tentpole?
Undoubtedly one of the big box-office trends this year is that IP movies can still be big and even critic-proof but it really helps if the IP isn't one that's "been done" - or at least not done frequently - as seen with The Super Mario Bros. Movie, Barbie, and now the FNAF movie. They tapped into big pre-existing fanbases that hadn't been milked dry already, which has become a huge problem with Disney's various IP jaunts this year. Not to mention they were all standalone films, no "homework" to be done in advance. With FNAF, it was also released around Halloween, a good time to release a youth-skewing horror film.

MrPromey

I know she's an adult and all but that interview makes me want to adopt her.

I really hope, if nothing else, she and her character survive this mess. Based on the way things end, it looks like out of the three, her character has solid plans for more to come. Hopefully, the performance of this movie doesn't change that.

Last edited:

crispy

I have no interest in superhero movies in general. It's just not my jam. The only ones I have ever watched and liked were the Guardian of the Galaxy movies. Even though I assume they are part of the whole Marvel Universe, they worked as standalone films.

My two besties are really into them, though, and I know for a fact that they would rather see Chris Hemsworth than feel inspired by Brie Larson. Eye candy for the win!

Last edited:

TP2000

So are the Marvels face characters hanging out at the Avengers Campus at DCA this week?

I forgot to reply to this, as it's a very good question.

Are there any Park mentions or appearances for The Marvels? DCA built a lavish new Avengers Campus that is always crawling with characters and has many dedicated meet n' greets. Are The Marvels there? I haven't heard a peep about that at all, but then no one really seems to care about this movie anyway.

But still.... are The Marvels at DCA this holiday week? 🤔

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom