Captain Marvel 2: "The Marvels" -- Nov 10, 2023 Theatrical Release

Phroobar

They seem to put a face character at Avengers campus for every Disney+ show. Even Ant-Man 3 characters where there. Why was this movie abandoned? They already have the costumes. Why didn't they cast anyone for the roles for a couple of weeks?

I think it shows a complete lack of confidence in this movie they didn't even promote it in the park.

WorldExplorer

I’ve been thinking about this post, and I was wondering if these new “strong female” movies actually appeal to women more than the old strong male lead ones.

Ladies of WDW Magic… are you more interested in a movie like The Marvels with strong female leads vs a movie with a Chris Helmsworth or Chris Evans as the lead? Or are they equally appealing? Depends on the Movie? Etc?

I choose movies to watch based on other things. Mainly plot.

If I had to choose based on that, though, I would want a Chris-y guy as the lead. I know the other women in my family agree.

TP2000

They seem to put a face character at Avengers campus for every Disney+ show. Even Ant-Man 3 characters where there. Why was this movie abandoned? They already have the costumes. Why didn't they cast anyone for the roles for a couple of weeks?

I think it shows a complete lack of confidence in this movie they didn't even promote it in the park.

I just checked Twitter formerly known as X and it appears Disney did put a character trio together in Avenger's Campus. But no one seems to care, and no one is talking about it in the parks threads. Who knew?!?

This is tough casting because the faces don't have masks and helmets like the male superheros, but even so this doesn't seem to work well. The Brie Larson character looks like a second string Cinderella, the Teyonah Paris character looks much younger than the Iman Vellani "teenager" who actually looks Hispanic instead of Pakistani. Odd casting here, but at least it won't last but a week or two.

Phroobar

That Ms. Marvel is pretty bad. It's like they got one of the maids from the Disneyland Hotel and gave her a second job. Not too many Pakistani looking to work at theme park I guess.

TP2000

That Ms. Marvel is pretty bad. It's like they got one of the maids from the Disneyland Hotel and gave her a second job. Not too many Pakistani looking to work at theme park I guess.

I recently learned there are only 630,000 Americans of Pakistani descent, and most live in the Northeast. So yeah, they must have had to go with a Latina actress for this SoCal parks gig, and the results are obvious.

But why does she look like the oldest one? She's supposed to be the teenager, and she looks 32. Meanwhile, Brie Larson looks 25 and Teyona Paris looks 18.

Something tells me that they slapped this trio together knowing it wouldn't be a high profile draw and would be gone in a matter of weeks.

We should use this metric as a box office prediction tool; what are the Parks doing with the characters and how much did they invest in the concept? The Marvels was destined to bomb at the box office, judging by how Avengers Campus did almost nothing for them.

Phroobar

I recently learned there are only 630,000 Americans of Pakistani descent, and most live in the Northeast. So yeah, they must have had to go with a Latina actress for this SoCal parks gig, and the results are obvious.

But why does she look like the oldest one? She's supposed to be the teenager, and she looks 32. Meanwhile, Brie Larson looks 25 and Teyona Paris looks 18.

Something tells me that they slapped this trio together knowing it wouldn't be a high profile draw and would be gone in a matter of weeks.

We should use this metric as a box office prediction tool; what are the Parks doing with the characters and how much did they invest in the concept? The Marvels was destined to bomb at the box office, judging by how Avengers Campus did almost nothing for them.
With that logic, why are we not seeing Asha and that goat at Disneyland right now?

MoonRakerSCM

Looks like word of mouth never happened for this film.

That being said, there's rumors amongst my friends, we MIGHT go to the theatre tomorrow... IF I end up going... I will certainly let y'all know. My expectation going in is bland, ok, and fun for what it is...

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Looks like word of mouth never happened for this film.

That being said, there's rumors amongst my friends, we MIGHT go to the theatre tomorrow... IF I end up going... I will certainly let y'all know. My expectation going in is bland, ok, and fun for what it is...
I had every intention of going to see it…
But I couldn’t get my kids to go and honestly…I forgot all about it today 😳

But I did throw up about a hotel’s worth of Xmas decorations today 🎄

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
I just checked Twitter formerly known as X and it appears Disney did put a character trio together in Avenger's Campus. But no one seems to care, and no one is talking about it in the parks threads. Who knew?!?

This is tough casting because the faces don't have masks and helmets like the male superheros, but even so this doesn't seem to work well. The Brie Larson character looks like a second string Cinderella, the Teyonah Paris character looks much younger than the Iman Vellani "teenager" who actually looks Hispanic instead of Pakistani. Odd casting here, but at least it won't last but a week or two.

Well DCA's face character actress looks more like starlight than the Carol Danvers

1700442452104.png

MarvelCharacterNerd

They've had Captain Marvel, Captain Monica Rambeau and Ms. Marvel meeting guests together and individually at Avengers Campus starting the day the movie was released. And they're awesome. Ms. Marvel is particularly giddy and adorable (and about a million times better than the one hired during the streaming series who was absolutely the rudest character performer I've ever encountered - which was heartbreaking as I adore Ms. Marvel as a character - thankfully this one is much nicer), but I spent more time with Monica because she is a brand new character on Campus. Hope to see them all again soon.

As I discussed in the Avengers Campus thread. :)

And it was promoted on the parks blog:

Disney Irish

Premium Member

They absolutely have been there and none of the face characters ever look exactly like the characters they’re portraying, even for the classic Disney characters. Sometimes they get close but it’s never a dead-on ringer.

TP2000

They absolutely have been there and none of the face characters ever look exactly like the characters they’re portraying, even for the classic Disney characters. Sometimes they get close but it’s never a dead-on ringer.

Sure. But this time they've got the age ranges all wrong; the teenager looks 32 and the 32 year old looks 18. Oops!

I just Googled. There are 63,000 people of Pakistani descent living in California (population 39.2 Million and falling). That's 0.2% of the population, and half of them are men. So that's 0.1% of the population of California that are Pakistani women, and something like only 0.02% of the population of California would be Pakistani women aged 18 to 30. LA and Orange County has a combined population of 13.5 Million, so that would be about 8,000 women of Pakistani descent living in LA or OC. And around 1,000 of those women in SoCal would be 18 to 25. How many of the 1,000 are actresses who wanted a Disneyland gig?

So no wonder they had to choose a Latina to play Ms. Marvel. But did they have to choose the one who looks 32? :oops:

TP2000

Ms. Marvel is particularly giddy and adorable (and about a million times better than the one hired during the streaming series who was absolutely the rudest character performer I've ever encountered - which was heartbreaking as I adore Ms. Marvel as a character - thankfully this one is much nicer), but I spent more time with Monica because she is a brand new character on Campus. Hope to see them all again soon.

Interesting!

Why was the previous Ms. Marvel character in Avenger's Campus so rude? I thought her character was a perky, "adorkable" teenage girl?

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Sure. But this time they've got the age ranges all wrong; the teenager looks 32 and the 32 year old looks 18. Oops!

I just Googled. There are 63,000 people of Pakistani descent living in California (population 39.2 Million and falling). That's 0.2% of the population, and half of them are men. So that's 0.1% of the population of California that are Pakistani women, and something like only 0.02% of the population of California would be Pakistani women aged 18 to 30. LA and Orange County has a combined population of 13.5 Million, so that would be about 8,000 women of Pakistani descent living in LA or OC. And around 1,000 of those women in SoCal would be 18 to 25. How many of the 1,000 are actresses who wanted a Disneyland gig?

So no wonder they had to choose a Latina to play Ms. Marvel. But did they have to choose the one who looks 32? :oops:
You’re judging and making assumptions of which you have no proof. You don’t know the ages nor the ethnic backgrounds of any of those CMs. Nor is it really all that important.

The only thing that matters is how they portray the character and their interactions with guests. And by first hand experience of a poster they are perfect on both.

TP2000

You’re judging and making assumptions of which you have no proof. You don’t know the ages nor the ethnic backgrounds of any of those CMs.

I have eyes, I can see very well. The Teyonah Paris character looks 18 and the Iman Vellani character looks 32. It's obvious.

And I don't even know know how to describe the Brie Larson character, except as a "backup Cinderella".

themarvels-header-copy-2.jpg

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I have eyes, I can see very well. The Teyonah Paris character looks 18 and the Iman Vellani character looks 32. It's obvious.

And I don't even know know how to describe the Brie Larson character, except as a "backup Cinderella".

themarvels-header-copy-2.jpg

As the saying goes, looks can be deceiving.

As I mentioned it doesn’t matter their real ages or ethnic background, they are portraying a character. As long as they portray them properly that is all that matters, and by all accounts they have.

Trauma

I’ve been thinking about this post, and I was wondering if these new “strong female” movies actually appeal to women more than the old strong male lead ones.

Ladies of WDW Magic… are you more interested in a movie like The Marvels with strong female leads vs a movie with a Chris Helmsworth or Chris Evans as the lead? Or are they equally appealing? Depends on the Movie? Etc?
I don’t think this is a great place to take this poll.

The average poster here is nowhere close to the average female movie goer.

_caleb

How much will The Marvels be worth in Disney+ subscriptions? Ad revenue on all the YouTube videos about it? Despite its low box office returns, was there any audience it did connect with?

DKampy

I finally saw The Marvels last night… As someone who just enjoys going to the movie theaters and not deep into the comic book lore… I thought it was fun… it’s no masterpiece, but it was a great time at the movies… Like many people I found The Memories scene hysterical… I also thought Iman Vellani was great… I hope she continues on as Ms Marvel…and loved the chemistry between the 3… Plus I always think Brie Larson is great… she has had so much unnecessary hate these last few years

This should be doing better than it is… definitely does not deserve a worse tomato meter than Thor: The Dark World or worse box office than Quantummania… I actually think your average everyday person would enjoy The Marvels as enjoyable escapism entertainment

Tha Realest

I don’t think this is a great place to take this poll.

The average poster here is nowhere close to the average female movie goer.
Yeah. If anything, the average female movie goer seems to have bought tickets for Barbie and Hunger Games, but not Marvels, for whatever reason.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom