Captain Marvel 2: "The Marvels" -- Nov 10, 2023 Theatrical Release

TP2000

Not sure if this is fake news or not, but apparently is mostly male Marvel fans buying tickets to the Marvels and its the girls not showing at the theaters?

Here are demographic stats from opening weekend. The majority of ticket purchasers were male, and most were older than 25. So it was women, especially young women, who failed to show up to The Marvels and support inclusive stories of female empowerment.

The Marvels bombing at the box office is the ladies fault, not the gents.

The Marvels Opening Weekend Demographics
61% Male
67% Over Age 25
45% Premium Movie Formats
(reflecting an older, more affluent audience who splurged on the expensive showings)

Also, The Marvels opened very badly overseas. Its foreign box office is 75% lower than Captain Marvel in 2019. American men older than 25 are far more inclusive and tolerant and willing to support female empowerment than foreigners are apparently.

Trauma

I mean, it's a discussion board, so "why do you think that thing you just posted?" seems like a relevant question.

And does it have to be either/or on your two options?
No, it can actually be all three.

The problem that I have is each of those options have vehement naysayers on this board.

We can’t even seem to get to a place where we can agree there is a problem at all.

I feel like people have their fingers in their ears screaming “I love Bob Iger!” so that they don’t have to hear the truth.

Something is wrong.

I personally think it’s because a lot of recent movies have been sub par. That gets shot down.

Ok fine.

So what’s going on then ?

_caleb

I’ve shared my take on the issue earlier in the thread. I’ve taken to asking folks who jump in with “it’s bad!” why they think it’s bad.

Fascinating responses, when people respond.

Tha Realest

Wowzers. That’s a terrible drop, after a terrible opening. Someone alert @DKampy , who has strong opinions when films have second week drops in the 70’s

1700275876178.png

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
I've followed this thread from post #1, and I know I'm going to regret jumping into the conversation, but...

To those of you saying adult women haven't shown up to this movie...comic books were never really aimed at us. I only know the story of "Captain Marvel" because I married a (nerd? geek? whatever, he's a wonderful husband, even if he is expensive to keep) who kind of filled me in...I say kind of, because I wasn't all that interested in intergalactic heroism.

When I was a kid (and I think I'm of a similar age to @TP2000), mom took me and my brother to the corner store to buy comics. I was allowed to buy Archie comics, while my brother got Spiderman and Batman. I read his comics as well as mine. I remember the death of Gwen Stacy, and my absolute all time favorite comic story was the origin of Metamorpho.

I've seen all the MCU movies in the theater because we went together. If I wasn't married to my fella, I might not have seen any of them.

For the record, I haven't seen the Barbie movie either. Saw the first trailer and felt my IQ drop by 15 points. Was just told the other day at work, by a raging feminist (who deigns to come into the office once a quarter post-Covid, when she was M-F 9-5er three years ago, but that's neither here nor there) who told me that I would love the Barbie movie because it's extremely feminist and takes down the patriarchy (w00t, I also read that it's a little TOO rough on the patriarchy, maybe I will have to watch for myself to decide).

So, back to Marvel and The Marvels. The aforementioned nerd/geek/whatever watches all the D+ series. I wanted to like Ms Marvel, but it was too...much? for me. We saw Captain Marvel (was that the title of the movie?) in the theater with everyone else, and it was ok, but not enough to draw me to the theater to see the follow up, no matter how much I liked Monica Rambeau in the WandaVision (and I thought she kicked butt in that series).

Basically, I think this movie is aimed squarely at comic book fans who know who the characters are, so it's no surprise that "men of a certain age" make up the majority of ticket buyers. Hurrah for them, and I hope they enjoy the movie. From what y'all who have seen it have said, I think I might like it too. But movie ticket prices being what they are, I will probably wait for the D+ release. I'll have to ask my hubs ;)

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
I've followed this thread from post #1, and I know I'm going to regret jumping into the conversation, but...

To those of you saying adult women haven't shown up to this movie...comic books were never really aimed at us. I only know the story of "Captain Marvel" because I married a (nerd? geek? whatever, he's a wonderful husband, even if he is expensive to keep) who kind of filled me in...I say kind of, because I wasn't all that interested in intergalactic heroism.

When I was a kid (and I think I'm of a similar age to @TP2000), mom took me and my brother to the corner store to buy comics. I was allowed to buy Archie comics, while my brother got Spiderman and Batman. I read his comics as well as mine. I remember the death of Gwen Stacy, and my absolute all time favorite comic story was the origin of Metamorpho.

I've seen all the MCU movies in the theater because we went together. If I wasn't married to my fella, I might not have seen any of them.

For the record, I haven't seen the Barbie movie either. Saw the first trailer and felt my IQ drop by 15 points. Was just told the other day at work, by a raging feminist (who deigns to come into the office once a quarter post-Covid, when she was M-F 9-5er three years ago, but that's neither here nor there) who told me that I would love the Barbie movie because it's extremely feminist and takes down the patriarchy (w00t, I also read that it's a little TOO rough on the patriarchy, maybe I will have to watch for myself to decide).

So, back to Marvel and The Marvels. The aforementioned nerd/geek/whatever watches all the D+ series. I wanted to like Ms Marvel, but it was too...much? for me. We saw Captain Marvel (was that the title of the movie?) in the theater with everyone else, and it was ok, but not enough to draw me to the theater to see the follow up, no matter how much I liked Monica Rambeau in the WandaVision (and I thought she kicked butt in that series).

Basically, I think this movie is aimed squarely at comic book fans who know who the characters are, so it's no surprise that "men of a certain age" make up the majority of ticket buyers. Hurrah for them, and I hope they enjoy the movie. From what y'all who have seen it have said, I think I might like it too. But movie ticket prices being what they are, I will probably wait for the D+ release. I'll have to ask my hubs ;)
…..aaaannnndddd close thread….

Disney Irish

Premium Member

I think you'll enjoy it no matter whether its in theaters or on D+ at a later date.

TP2000

And yet Marvels had a better Thursday preview then Hunger Games.

Don't know how the weekend will turn out, but Hunger Games might have "franchise fatigue" too, time for a reboot, oops this is their reboot.

I doubt Hunger Games will do big box office. It might not even break even, making it Rachel Zegler's third money losing movie in a row.

But it helps that the budget for Hunger Games was only $100 Million. The budget for The Marvels, after a $55 Million rebate check from British taxpayers, was $220 Million. That makes it much easier for the Hunger Games to at least break even. Before they start selling all of that Hunger Games merch and DVD's to make up the difference, of course.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I doubt Hunger Games will do big box office. It might not even break even, making it Rachel Zegler's third money losing movie in a row.

But it helps that the budget for Hunger Games was only $100 Million. The budget for The Marvels, after a $55 Million rebate check from British taxpayers, was $220 Million. That makes it much easier for the Hunger Games to at least break even. Before they start selling all of that Hunger Games merch and DVD's to make up the difference, of course.
Yeah I don't really care anymore about the budgets and such. I was just pointing out that a big franchise that was expected to do big box office also appears to be faltering, ie a trend that has plagued the entire box office this year.

TP2000

Exactly. You'll have to pardon some of our comments here, they are ladled with a bit of snark at times.

There was a previous opinion stated that Marvel fans are now equally split among young men and young women, which seemed inaccurate to many of us, myself included. Marvel movies, like all superhero movies, trend male. And I'm of the opinion that a big chunk of the young women who do go are only there on dates, and wouldn't have chosen the movie otherwise.

The audience for The Marvels was 61% male, by the way.

When I was a kid (and I think I'm of a similar age to @TP2000), mom took me and my brother to the corner store to buy comics.

Judging by your profile pic, if we're of the same 1960's generation, you aged far better than I did! Congrats!

That story was hysterical! And don't even get me started on the work-from-home scam. :rolleyes:

As for Barbie, I loved it. It's only "extremely feminist" if you think it's still 1971. Or, you are like your coworker and assume all those evil people out there who vote the wrong way are still stuck in 1971. They aren't evil, and they know it's 2023 and for the past 50 years Barbie can be anything she wants to be. This isn't new.

Barbie had this lovely little story arc where the teenage girl who was the only one railing about the "patriarchy" did a complete 180 turn. By the end of the movie she had opened up to her mom, seen how fabulous her parents were, and was actually smiling and wearing colors other than black. It was great!

If you played with Barbies as a girl, you'd probably love the film. My younger sister and I thought it was hysterical and very entertaining.

I think one of the few things we can all agree on is that Marvel has flooded the marketplace with too much product in the past few years, and thus cheapened and weakened their brand. People are over it, and the audience collapse is most notable among the kids. Gen Z did not show up for The Marvels; they've tuned it all out now.

Just wait for it on Disney+. But sometime on Thanksgiving weekend if you're looking for a fun family evening, think about renting Barbie. It's on Amazon now.

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
Judging by your profile pic, if we're of the same 1960's generation, you aged far better than I did! Congrats!
Vintage 1963. The profile pic is about 10 years old, I'd taken my mom to WDW for her 70th bday, we had a great trip and breakfast at Crystal Palace with Pooh and Pals was a highlight.
That story was hysterical! And don't even get me started on the work from home scam. :rolleyes:
Yeah, let's not. As the payroll lady, I have plenty to say about it. Glad you appreciated the story. Up the Patriarchy! (not really, I am a strong woman, but I believe in fairness above all)
As for Barbie, I loved it. It's only "extremely feminist" if you think it's still 1971. Or, you are like your coworker and assume all those evil people out there who vote the wrong way are still stuck in 1971. They aren't evil, and they know it's 2023 and for the past 50 years Barbie can be anything she wants to be. This isn't new.

Barbie had this lovely little story arc where the teenage girl who was the only one railing about the "patriarchy" did a complete 180 turn. By the end of the movie she had opened up to her mom, seen how fabulous her mom was, and was actually smiling and wearing colors other than black. It was great!

If you played with Barbies as a girl, you'd probably love the film. My younger sister and I thought it was hysterical and very entertaining.
You've mentioned your love of Barbie in a few threads. ;) The VOD trailers are a lot less...dumb? 😬 but they also show Ryan Gosling's Ken in a little bit of a demeaning light. Did I mention that I still have my 1970s Barbie dolls in the basement?

Who am I kidding...the only reason I'm tempted to watch Barbie is because Simu Liu is a Ken, and I totally LOVED Shang-Chi and the Ten Rings. #marvelFTW

Last edited:

Disney Irish

Premium Member
And don't even get me started on the work-from-home scam. :rolleyes:
Hey! Not to derail this thread even more, but work-from-home is not a scam. Some of us have been doing it longer than before it was even a thing for the pandemic. Personally I get more done here at home than I ever did being forced to go into an office. Plus allows me to post here during the day.... ;)

It may not work for everyone, and some abused it for sure, but its not a scam.

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
Hey! Not to derail this thread even more, but work-from-home is not a scam. Some of us have been doing it longer than before it was even a thing for the pandemic. Personally I get more done here at home than I ever did being forced to go into an office. Plus allows me to post here during the day.... ;)

It may not work for everyone, and some abused it for sure, but its not a scam.
Keeping with your derailment...

I agree, anyone who always worked remotely knows how to do it well. SOME of the people who "discovered" WFH because of the pandemic are actually abusing it, and it reflects badly on everyone.

I'm of a generation that knows from working in an office, and working from home is lonely and odd, but for many tasks, productive. I get it. But I also get that there are some newbs to the WFH that are taking advantage. Sucks for everyone.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom