Captain Marvel 2: "The Marvels" -- Nov 10, 2023 Theatrical Release

Disstevefan1

Not sure if this is fake news or not, but apparently is mostly male Marvel fans buying tickets to the Marvels and its the girls not showing at the theaters?

Trauma

Fox News complaining about diversity?! I'm shocked!!

It's also getting old that whenever men criticize female characters as action heroines, they always cite Ridley from Aliens and Sarah Connor as proof that they don't hate female characters. The Alien and Terminator franchises are 40 years old now, I think if you can't think of any more recent examples of great female heroes to prove you aren't sexist, you need to look inward.
You mean like HuffPo today blaming racism and misogyny for the films failure?

The only thing getting old is the excuses for bad films.

People didn’t see it because it sucks.

Very simple.

doctornick

I'm just confused as to why anyone would think that The Marvels is "woke" or somehow pushing any sort of agenda. I mean, it obviously has female leads, but it doesn't make any sort of grand statements; it's actually a rather generic Marvel/superhero film.

If people don't think it looks interesting and don't want to see it, that's fine. And if people think that Disney as a company is pushing progressive ideology and don't want to support them for it, I mean, okay it's your money. But The Marvels is a rather poor example of something being "woke".

Disstevefan1

WDWmissionWhatever.jpg

MoonRakerSCM

The Critical Drinker has a great take on the film posted yesterday going over and breaking down the claim of 'misogynist man babies hate the film'. A good watch.

Ghost93

You mean like HuffPo today blaming racism and misogyny for the films failure?

The only thing getting old is the excuses for bad films.

People didn’t see it because it sucks.

Very simple.
It is a bad movie. Wokeness is not why it's bad though, as the Fox News article suggested.

When a bad comic book featuring a white man flops (Shazam 2, Morbius, etc.). people rightfully call it a flop due to bad filmmaking. When a bad comic book movie featuring a woman or a person of color flops, suddenly "going woke" is the problem. I'm just tired of the double standard.

Willmark

Fox News complaining about diversity?! I'm shocked!!

It's also getting old that whenever men criticize female characters as action heroines, they always cite Ridley from Aliens and Sarah Connor as proof that they don't hate female characters. The Alien and Terminator franchises are 40 years old now, I think if you can't think of any more recent examples of great female heroes to prove you aren't sexist, you need to look inward.
Why are Ripley or Sarah Connors bad examples?

Also, should the fact that it’s 40 years ago matter?

Ghost93

I'm sorry you made this error. It is a good movie.
I will defend the stars of the movie, and I will defend it from stupid criticisms like "wokeness." But I am not going to pretend its a masterpiece. If you enjoyed it, I am happy for you. For me, it was the third weakest movie in the MCU, behind only Thor: Love and Thunder and Ant-man and the Wasp Quantumania.

MoonRakerSCM

Not sure if this is fake news or not, but apparently is mostly male Marvel fans buying tickets to the Marvels and its the girls not showing at the theaters?
I've seen this tossed around and haven't seen anyone denying it. I think it's something like 65% of tickets are males in the 20-40 range? So essentially it's a meteic showing that the 'misogynist cry baby' dudes are actually seeing it and no one else is etc.etc.

That being said, where on earth does this metric come from? Online ticket sale accounts registered as male? What about the guests that they purchase for and go see it with? I am quite skeptical of that number and where it comes from/actually represents.

Disstevefan1

I've seen this tossed around and haven't seen anyone denying it. I think it's something like 65% of tickets are males in the 20-40 range? So essentially it's a meteic showing that the 'misogynist cry baby' dudes are actually seeing it and no one else is etc.etc.

That being said, where on earth does this metric come from? Online ticket sale accounts registered as male? What about the guests that they purchase for and go see it with? I am quite skeptical of that number and where it comes from/actually represents.
I would like to know how this data is collected. Maybe it is fake news.

One thing that is not fake news is that Disney is spending too much to make and market their movies.

Disney Irish

Premium Member

Its based on the same metrics that determine the Cinemascore, ie those that take a survey at various theaters around the nation.

Just like any survey/poll, its only as good as its sampling size. So its not infallible.

Trauma

In your opinion, why does it suck?

Captain America Avengers GIF
My opinion does not matter I am not a film critic.

However the general consensus is clearly that the film sucks.

This MUST be true unless:

1: This current iteration of Marvel is dead and it’s time to hit the reset button.

Or

2: People are skipping the movie because of “wokeness.”

_caleb

My opinion does not matter I am not a film critic.

However the general consensus is clearly that the film sucks.

This MUST be true unless:

1: This current iteration of Marvel is dead and it’s time to hit the reset button.

Or

2: People are skipping the movie because of “wokeness.”
I mean, it's a discussion board, so "why do you think that thing you just posted?" seems like a relevant question.

And does it have to be either/or on your two options?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom