Captain Marvel 2: "The Marvels" -- Nov 10, 2023 Theatrical Release

Vegas Disney Fan

That’s opinion… I thought Quality wise Guardians was the best of those 3…I had more fun at The Marvels than Captain Marvel… I thought Wakanda Forever was good… even if it did not past Black Panther… Antman was the one big disappointment for me… especially since that was my fav MCU film series next to Guardians…now the Guardians sit alone in that regard… I can’t comment on Thor since I never cared for those films
Fair point, I should have said underperformed in box office, and arguably in quality.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster
What do we think? Is this an indicator Majors is out?
With the writer basically fired, I thought, well, at least the director's hanging on.

Then with the news that Cretton isn't attached any more, I thought, so maybe they are going to dump the Kang movie.

But then upon closer reading of the article, it seem Cretton wanted to move on because Kang has been moved to 2026 and he didn't want to commit to that timeframe. Which is different than being fired.

At this point, I think they want to get to Kang Dynasty, but Major's legal troubles are leaving that up in the air. Not to mention that multiverse content isn't always hitting home runs. But some are. So... <shrug>

Ghost93

With the writer basically fired, I thought, well, at least the director's hanging on.

Then with the news that Cretton isn't attached any more, I thought, so maybe they are going to dump the Kang movie.

But then upon closer reading of the article, it seem Cretton wanted to move on because Kang has been moved to 2026 and he didn't want to commit to that timeframe. Which is different than being fired.

At this point, I think they want to get to Kang Dynasty, but Major's legal troubles are leaving that up in the air. Not to mention that multiverse content isn't always hitting home runs. But some are. So... <shrug>
I suspect there will be at least one Kang movie to type up loose ends, but they aren't going to rely on him as much as they had initially intended.

Tony the Tigger

Remember, this is NOT an SNL skit, but a $275M tentpole worldwide holiday release.

View attachment 754326
Neither is this:

IMG_1867.jpeg

Do explain the difference.

Tony the Tigger

(Reposting from box office thread)

Well, word of mouth about the film’s quality is clearly kicking in!

Forecast is to drop an embarrassing 65%.

But good news! After 10 days plus previews, the film is “almost” getting to its original opening weekend forecast!

It’s not a repost; it’s spam by definition. You’re doing it all day, every day, and it’s going to start getting reported.

Tony the Tigger

Remember, this is NOT an SNL skit, but a $275M tentpole worldwide holiday release.

View attachment 754326

Neither is this:

View attachment 754463

Do explain the difference.

Civil war did $180 mil its opening weekend?

And I'll save you the trouble
😲
Fail.
This looks awesome. Hopefully Disney will make a movie like this one day.
Fail.

Two posters with 2 characters in silly costumes. What’s the difference to you?

_caleb

Civil war did $180 mil its opening weekend?

And I'll save you the trouble
😲
What do you get out of posting stuff like this? We all know The Marvels didn't open to Civil War numbers at the box office. The question is why. What's the difference? 81fan keeps posting pictures from The Marvels and mocking it as a parody, but none of the critics seem willing to pinpoint for us what makes them think The Marvels a lesser film than CA:SW.

Can you save us the trouble and answer that question?

erasure fan1

What do you get out of posting stuff like this? We all know The Marvels didn't open to Civil War numbers at the box office.
The same thing that the person I replied to gets by constantly spaming mad and shocked emojis on my posts that are in no way controversial, mean spirited or deserving of it? That's why I put the omg emoji at the bottom and said what I said.

_caleb

Well, one of them features known characters and movie stars from a succession of popular films.

The other features characters from TV series, one of which had a very small audience.
Ok, I'm glad to see what appears to be a rational criticism.

Like Captain America: Civil War, The Marvels was a sequel that built on previous films and brought characters from individual shows/films together. Some of the stars of CA:CW were lesser known than others at the time but the film raised their profile. Were's seeing a little bit of this with Iman Vellani, but the film itself isn't doing as well. So again, it makes sense to me that we should ask why this is.

Last edited:

erasure fan1

Like Captain America: Civil War, The Marvels was a sequel that built on previous films and brought characters from individual shows/films together.
True. But it's a bit hard to compare the two. Civil war was really built off of an avengers film. That's a big deal, a huge event. It also stared two of the absolute most popular characters in th mcu. The marvels doesn't have that advantage.
Were's seeing a little bit of this with Iman Vellani, but the film itself isn't doing as well. So again, it makes sense to me that we should ask what this is.
Civil war did have some lesser known characters, that's true. But they were still movie characters. Even the least known character in civil war had more exposure than the characters from the D+ shows. Also, captain marvel isn't as big of a draw as they probably thought she would be. Maybe if photon and ms marvel had shown up in a couple different film projects first, to build up the characters more, it might be a different story.

Tha Realest

Ok, I'm glad to see what appears to be a rational criticism.

Like Captain America: Civil War, The Marvels was a sequel that built on previous films and brought characters from individual shows/films together. Some of the stars of CA:CW were lesser known than others at the time but the film raised their profile. Were's seeing a little bit of this with Iman Vellani, but the film itself isn't doing as well. So again, it makes sense to me that we should ask why this is.
This isn’t a knock on TV stars per se. There are plenty of huge TV stars that can’t open a film. Millie Bobby Brown is arguably the biggest breakout star of a TV series of the last 5-10 years, and the best she’s managed on the movie front is ensemble roles in the Godzilla films and the Enola Holmes Netflix films. She’s unquestionably a star, but the jump is a finicky one.

I think the MCU thought its brand strength was interchangeable enough (the studio system pulling from TV directors and writers for their films) but I think they’re reassessing that practice. I think the D+ push has drastically diminished the brand.

As I write this, I’m also reminded of James Gandolfini and Bryan Cranston. Possibly the greatest TV actors of this millennium. Both had/have had issues breaking through as lead film actors.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
This isn’t a knock on TV stars per se. There are plenty of huge TV stars that can’t open a film. Millie Bobby Brown is arguably the biggest breakout star of a TV series of the last 5-10 years, and the best she’s managed on the movie front is ensemble roles in the Godzilla films and the Enola Holmes Netflix films. She’s unquestionably a star, but the jump is a finicky one.

I think the MCU thought its brand strength was interchangeable enough (the studio system pulling from TV directors and writers for their films) but I think they’re reassessing that practice. I think the D+ push has drastically diminished the brand.

As I write this, I’m also reminded of James Gandolfini and Bryan Cranston. Possibly the greatest TV actors of this millennium. Both had/have had issues breaking through as lead film actors.

There is definitely a different cadence between film and episodic narratives that fails to transition between the two genres. I agree that the skill sets involved while they may be similar, are different enough to make crossovers never exceed the meh level of acceptance.

Ghost93

The film’s failure making the op-ed rounds….

“The worst Marvel movie yet is also the cringiest”

https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/worst-marvel-movie-yet-also-cringiest
Fox News complaining about diversity?! I'm shocked!!

It's also getting old that whenever men criticize female characters as action heroines, they always cite Ridley from Aliens and Sarah Connor as proof that they don't hate female characters. The Alien and Terminator franchises are 40 years old now, I think if you can't think of any more recent examples of great female heroes to prove you aren't sexist, you need to look inward.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom