Captain Marvel 2: "The Marvels" -- Nov 10, 2023 Theatrical Release

_caleb

Seems like we mostly agree on the reasons The Marvels isn’t doing well at the box office.

It’s just that some of us think those reasons are justifiable and others of us think those reasons are lamentable.

spacemt354

Chili's
Yes, Loveness was removed from writing Kang Dynasty.

The Kang Dynasty may be over at Marvel Studios. According to Vanity Fair reporter and MCU: The Reign of Marvel Studios co-author Joanna Robinson on the House of R podcast, Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania screenwriter Jeff Loveness is no longer working for Marvel or attached to pen the fifth Avengers movie, titled Avengers: The Kang Dynasty. Robinson reported that Loveness is off the project because Marvel is likely "moving away" from the Kang storyline that threaded both seasons of Disney+ series Loki, the Ant-Man threequel, and future installments of the Multiverse Saga, including Kang Dynasty and the phase-ending Avengers: Secret Wars.​

So, someone who writes about the MCU and podcasts about it, GUESSES a reason why Loveness is off the project.

Yes, Joanna is *reporting* something she thinks is *likely*.

Sure, it could be the case. But then, why haven't we heard of the director of Kang Dynasty being removed from it?
On the podcast she was told by her source the reason for the exit of Loveness was because the writer was "all wrapped up on this Kang storyline and they (Marvel) are likely going to be moving away from that."

So it's not what she thinks is likely or that she's guessing, she's just reporting what she was told.

I think that would be a good move. Whether it happens or not is to be determined, but it's hard for me to fear Kang as the next 'Thanos' level threat when he's been defeated by Ant-Man.

MoonRakerSCM

That's what rumblings have been... that regardless of the actor's issues, that the character is just not a threat... he has already been defeated twice Nd his introduction has been meh at best.

_caleb

I think that would be a good move. Whether it happens or not is to be determined, but it's hard for me to fear Kang as the next 'Thanos' level threat when he's been defeated by Ant-Man.
I mean, that was just one of many variants of Kang. I imagine they were going to build up to one that wasn't so easily defeated.

erasure fan1

The problem with Quantumania was that it wasn't really an Ant Man film. The Ant Man films are fun because you have a "real world" average guy who uses the ability to shrink (and sometimes grow really big) to investigate and surprise the villains.
No, you have it all wrong. The problem with quantumania was no Luis!!! It's just not an Antman film without a Luis monologue.
:cool:

spacemt354

Chili's
I mean, that was just one of many variants of Kang. I imagine they were going to build up to one that wasn't so easily defeated.
Sure, but the build-up from the He Who Remains quote of "wait till you meet my variants" felt underwhelming when one of those variants was defeated in a solo film. And then revealing all of the variants in the post-credit scene didn't help adding to the intimidation factor, as many of them to me looked a bit ridiculous.

That's not to say it's poorly acted, I think Majors has done a great job with the role, I just don't find the character to be on the Thanos level.

I'd rather them focus on a more grounded villain for a Young Avengers film, and then slowly work up to a Dr. Doom for Secret Wars.

Tha Realest

You don't understand. Disney gets evaluated under a different set of rules.

For, you see, there are several ways to measure a film's success:
  • Critic's score on RT
  • Audience score on RT
  • Critic's score on Metacritic
  • Audience score on IMDB
  • Opening Weekend CinemaScore
  • Opening Weekend Box Office
  • Domestic Box Office
  • Foreign Box Office
  • Global Box Office
  • Week by week Box Office drop off
  • Whether the teasers and trailers were so good they made me scream with joy and cry at the same time
And if a Disney movie has a bad indicator, even if in just one of those criteria....

THEN IT'S A FLOP.

There is no "mixed" or middle ground. It has to succeed tremendously in every way, else, it's the worst thing ever.

So, get on board!!
Revisiting these criteria, how many of these would you consider a “good” indicator (thus far)?
  • Critic's score on RT (62%)
  • Audience score on RT (84%)
  • Critic's score on Metacritic (50)
  • Audience score on IMDB (6.1/10)
  • Opening Weekend CinemaScore (B)
  • Opening Weekend Box Office ($110M WW / $46M Domestic)
  • Domestic Box Office (TBD)
  • Foreign Box Office (TBD)
  • Global Box Office (TBD)
  • Week by week Box Office drop off (TBD)
  • Whether the teasers and trailers were so good they made me scream with joy and cry at the same time (YMMV)

doctornick

Maybe that was the intent (I'm skeptical), but it turned out to be much more of a zero quadrant film, apparently.

Obviously the box office has turned out poorly, but there's nothing in particular about the film that suggests it wasn't geared towards a wide as possible audience as all MCU films have been. It obviously features women/minorities but I don't think it's pandering to a specific audience any more than, say, Black Panther was.

Disney Analyst

IMG_0480.jpeg

Movie is finished, and we are on our way home.

I had a blast. What a fun film! Lots of laugh out loud moments, specifically so many wonderful moments with Kamala’s family.

This movie was just so fun, and brimming with camp. One of the more fun, quick, Marvel films in a while.

I’d definitely recommend watching it.

Vegas Disney Fan

But that's the thing. The Marvels is a good film.
It may be but if people have lost faith in Marvel they aren’t likely to give them the benefit of the doubt and pay to see it.

All of the recent films have underperformed their predecessors, both in quality and in box office. Ant Man, Guardians, Thor, Black Panther, now Marvels… I think Marvel has lost the assumption it will be great and now the assumption is it will be mediocre to good. That’s not much incentive to pay $15 for a ticket, especially knowing it’ll be on D+ in a few months.

spacemt354

Chili's
But that's the thing. The Marvels is a good film.
Depends on perspective. It was better than expected, but it certainly wasn’t in the top tier of the MCU, imo.

That said, I think much of what determined this film’s box office blunder happened before filming even started. There is a segment of the fandom that wanted this film to fail. The narrative was preset, and continued to be fueled by the multiple pushbacks and reshoots (which could have been for a myriad of reasons) but was swung as poor writing and having to go back to the drawing board.

Another factor was the surrounding films of the MCU don’t have the tidal wave effect they used to. People saw Guardians but not Ant Man, Spider-Man but not Eternals. It used to be that you had to see every film to keep up with the MCU story but there’s been too many inconsequential film entries and too many shows for the average person to keep up with. So the prospect of seeing this film when you had homework of WandaVision, Ms Marvel, Secret Invasion, etc before seeing the film may have been too much, even though I’d argue you didn’t need to see any of those.

And the price of going out to the theaters. People go for things like Super Mario Bros, Barbie, which have energy behind them whether justified or not. They are event films, but The Marvels, despite the desperate last few trailers put out showing old Avengers and Thanos, was not going to move the MCU needle. So why spend all that to rush out to the theater when it’ll be on Disney+ within a few months which people already pay for?

All that combined leads to a good film in the end falling through the cracks.

DKampy

It may be but if people have lost faith in Marvel they aren’t likely to give them the benefit of the doubt and pay to see it.

All of the recent films have underperformed their predecessors, both in quality and in box office. Ant Man, Guardians, Thor, Black Panther, now Marvels… I think Marvel has lost the assumption it will be great and now the assumption is it will be mediocre to good. That’s not much incentive to pay $15 for a ticket, especially knowing it’ll be on D+ in a few months.
That’s opinion… I thought Quality wise Guardians was the best of those 3…I had more fun at The Marvels than Captain Marvel… I thought Wakanda Forever was good… even if it did not past Black Panther… Antman was the one big disappointment for me… especially since that was my fav MCU film series next to Guardians…now the Guardians sit alone in that regard… I can’t comment on Thor since I never cared for those films

TalkingHead

Revisiting these criteria, how many of these would you consider a “good” indicator (thus far)?
  • Critic's score on RT (62%)
  • Audience score on RT (84%)
  • Critic's score on Metacritic (50)
  • Audience score on IMDB (6.1/10)
  • Opening Weekend CinemaScore (B)
  • Opening Weekend Box Office ($110M WW / $46M Domestic)
  • Domestic Box Office (TBD)
  • Foreign Box Office (TBD)
  • Global Box Office (TBD)
  • Week by week Box Office drop off (TBD)
  • Whether the teasers and trailers were so good they made me scream with joy and cry at the same time (YMMV)
The subpar Cinemascore and the respectable 80+ RT audience score make me question RT audience metrics even more. I’ve suspected people going to the trouble to leave a score on RT are probably not representative of general audiences.

erasure fan1

I think Marvel has lost the assumption it will be great and now the assumption is it will be mediocre to good. That’s not much incentive to pay $15 for a ticket, especially knowing it’ll be on D+ in a few months.
Quality of the films is a part of it for sure. But I think the bigger issue is the overall lack of direction this next saga has. Is there a reason to become invested in this new saga? Mediocre to good was very much a thing during the infinity saga as well. Films like antman 2, dr strange, thor 2 and captain marvel... all mediocre to good by most accounts. What they had was the greater story, that what's going to happen next, to bring people out. Post endgame hasn't really had that in my opinion. Guardians 1 was definitely a beneficiary of the must see what happens next mentality of the mcu. It turned out to be a great movie anyway, but does it do as well without the momentum of the mcu? I'm not sure. I'd say it still does well, but people took a chance on a talking raccoon and tree because of how invested in the universe they were.

DKampy

U
The subpar Cinemascore and the respectable 80+ RT audience score make me question RT audience metrics even more. I’ve suspected people going to the trouble to leave a score on RT are probably not representative of general audiences.
Until a movie Like Super Mario Brothers or Five Nights is released then it’s critics got it wrong… The Audience score is a better metric

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom