Captain Marvel 2: "The Marvels" -- Nov 10, 2023 Theatrical Release

TP2000

Why aren’t women showing up to the most female-centric superhero film made to date?

I beat you! 🤣

But all credit for that goes to a very empowered and strong woman in my life; Miss Postma, my junior high typing teacher!

Reasonably solid typing speed is a life skill I really treasure.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
63% of the audience was male? And only 24% of the audience for The Marvels were women over 25??? o_O

Why are American women not showing up to support inclusive stories of female empowerment?

Why aren’t women showing up to the most female-centric superhero film made to date?
A Thursday night preview isn’t indicative of anything other than a Thursday night preview. The demographics of the previews only show who like to see the movie before anyone else, not the overall movie going audience for the film.

The larger weekend breakdown will be more indicative of the demographics.

Tha Realest

It’s amazing how the people who swear it’s not related to this or that always want to bring up this or that.
I’m not sure what you’re getting at. Did the vast majority of American women make common cause with toxic men, and are boycotting this film? Seems like the men are the only ones who’ve shown up so far.

TP2000

A Thursday night preview isn’t indicative of anything other than a Thursday night preview. The demographics of the previews only show who like to see the movie before anyone else, not the overall movie going audience for the film.

The larger weekend breakdown will be more indicative of the demographics.

I was half expecting you to say "It's a well known fact that American women shampoo their hair on Thursday evenings".

That actually might make more sense why the audience for The Marvels was only 24% adult females last night.

Ghost93

63% of the audience was male? And only 24% of the audience for The Marvels were women over 25??? o_O

Why are American women not showing up to support inclusive stories of female empowerment?
I have a feeling many women are going to make either the Hunger Games or Disney's Wish their moviegoing choice of November.

Many may not have liked the first Captain Marvel movie. I had a close friend say she saw the first Captain Marvel movie because she's a fan of Brie Larson and because she wanted to support female-led superhero movies, but said she didn't find the movie compelling at all. She loved Margot Robbie's Birds of Prey, however.

LSLS

So, I wonder if cost is a factor. I looked up tickets for tonight for the Marvels, and it's going to cost me $27 to go see this with just my daughter. That doesn't include popcorn and a drink. Last year it was under $10 a ticket. Honestly I'm not sure I'm going tonight 100% because I'm not convinced this movie is worth $50 for two of us to go watch it (cause no chance I get by with no popcorn/drink for a kid). Especially because there's a chance my wife will want to go again at a later time, so another $50.

Ghost93

So, I wonder if cost is a factor. I looked up tickets for tonight for the Marvels, and it's going to cost me $27 to go see this with just my daughter. That doesn't include popcorn and a drink. Last year it was under $10 a ticket. Honestly I'm not sure I'm going tonight 100% because I'm not convinced this movie is worth $50 for two of us to go watch it (cause no chance I get by with no popcorn/drink for a kid). Especially because there's a chance my wife will want to go again at a later time, so another $50.
The cost of tickets can't be used to explain The Marvels' failure when, in the past year, millions of people flocked to movies like Barbie, Oppenheimer, Avatar: The Way of Water, Mario, Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 3, and the Taylor Swift concert film.

Yeah the ticket costs are a lot, put people will fork up the money for a movie they really want to see.

TP2000

Interesting point. I just looked up tickets for The Marvels at the big Cinemark 25 multiplex near Disneyland. Cinemark offers discounted snack bar prices if you order them in advance with your tickets. There were a lot of empty seats in all the theaters showing The Marvels this evening at that theater.

Two tickets to the 9:00pm The Marvels in a small regular format theater, plus one large popcorn and two Cokes will cost you $54.10 after discount and tax.

If you want to see The Marvels in the upgraded large XD theater at 9:50pm, that same bundle will cost you $60.10 after discount and tax.

But as @Ghost93 rightly points out, Americans are more than willing to fork out good money to see a movie they really want to see in theaters. The Marvels does not seem to meet that threshold for most movie-goers, or at least not last night.

Last edited:

LSLS

The cost of tickets can't be used to explain The Marvels' failure when, in the past year, millions of people flocked to movies like Barbie, Oppenheimer, Avatar: The Way of Water, Mario, Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 3, and the Taylor Swift concert film.

Yeah the ticket costs are a lot, put people will fork up the money for a movie they really want to see.
True, but I swear Mario was cheaper just a few months ago. BUT, I will point out, we've dropped that money to see Mario, and the wife and daughter to see Barbie, and they went to Swift. It's not just we are talking $50+ to see this, it's me not being super invested in the movie and caring all THAT much about it. Basically, if I was dropping $20 on tickets and then $15 on food and drink, I'm going. But, now that I'm looking at closer to $50, I'm just not invested enough in this to go.

lazyboy97o

The trend of the total box office being concentrated into fewer and fewer titles is not new. It’s part of why Disney switched to a tent-pole focused strategy in the first place.

LSLS

The other part of this (again, just local theater, take it for what it is), for some reason, the Marvels is more expensive than the other movies at the theater. Like $1.50 or so more. Again, maybe no big deal to most, but it's really strange.

lazyboy97o

The other part of this (again, just local theater, take it for what it is), for some reason, the Marvels is more expensive than the other movies at the theater. Like $1.50 or so more. Again, maybe no big deal to most, but it's really strange.
Could be a result of Disney aggressively pushing theaters into giving them a bigger cut of the box office.

Casper Gutman

I loved it. My favorite MCU film since Endgame, with only Guardians coming close. It needed 10 to 15 more minutes to breath, but it gave me the three things I want from a Marvel film:

1) humor and fun
2) strong character interactions
3) clever comic book nonsense

(I forgot No Way Home. It’s tied with that. But overall it’s in my top third of MCU films.)

Last edited:

DKampy

The other part of this (again, just local theater, take it for what it is), for some reason, the Marvels is more expensive than the other movies at the theater. Like $1.50 or so more. Again, maybe no big deal to most, but it's really strang
There is a new pricing structure at most theater chains that charge an extra $1.50-$2.00(depending on the chain) for brand new tentpole blockbusters… if you don’t want to pay it wait a couple of weeks

Disney Irish

Premium Member
There is a new pricing structure at most theater chains that charge an extra $1.50-$2.00(depending on the chain) for brand new tentpole blockbusters… if you don’t want to pay it wait a couple of weeks
I would also add that, at least at my local theaters, its playing primarily on premium screens which also adds to the increased price.

Casper Gutman

This is a silly movie and it’s intended to be. Combined with the female leads, that seems to be a big problem, something the shift in ads corroborates. I think there is a very significant part of the audience that needs to be assured that the light-hearted fantasy they enjoy is super-serious, adult, and manly - call it the Snyder Syndrome or the Rogue One Affliction. As a guy who reads comics, loves Star Wars, prefers Adam West Batman, and posts obsessively on a Disney theme park board, I find that pathetic. But it’s a factor.

I also think a lot of mainstream critics have been, at best, begrudgingly praising Marvel films while viewing it as a corruption of the auteurist, New Hollywood films they view as True Cinema (and which I also love). Scorsese is a prime proponent of this view, which seems to me to overlook the fact that superhero movies SAVED their beloved cinemas during Covid and that their are ample outlets for lower-budget and/or quirkier films alongside blockbusters. In any case, I think Ant-Man marked a turning point at which these critics felt the zeitgeist had shifted, that a narrative of the MCU’s fall had finally taken hold, and that they could be more straightforward with their opinions. As some commentators have pointed out, a lot of the negative reviews have been less about The Marvels itself and more attacks on the MCU project in general.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom