Captain Marvel 2: "The Marvels" -- Nov 10, 2023 Theatrical Release

Ghost93

I loved it. My favorite MCU film since Endgame, with only Guardians coming close. It needed 10 to 15 more minutes to breath, but it gave me the three things I want from a Marvel film:

1) humor and fun
2) strong character interactions
3) clever comic book nonsense

(I forgot No Way Home. It’s tied with that. But overall it’s in my top third of MCU films.)
I didn't like the film, but I am genuinely glad that you and many others are. And for all of my criticisms of the movie, I think the best thing about it is that it had "heart." The Carol/Monica/Kamala dynamic is really sweet and I hope we get to see them reunite in a future movie.

I have constantly changed my mind on which Phase Four movies I like the most as some benefit from rewatches (Eternals) while others lose some of their shine once the hype dies down (Spider-man: No Way Home, which was an AMAZING theatrical experience that loses its impact at home). If I were to rank the MCU movies post Endgame:

1. Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 3
2. Eternals (unpopular opinion, I know)
3. Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness
4. Spider-man: No Way Home
5. Black Panther: Wakanda Forever
6. Shang-Chi and the Legend of the 10 Rings
7. Black Widow
8. The Marvels
9. Ant-man and the Wasp Quantumania
10. Thor: Love and Thunder (worst MCU movie of all time)

TP2000

The audiences to date seem to be overly male, so not sure why you seem to imply men aren’t sufficiently supporting this film?

I'd wondered that too. If only 24% of last night's audience was made up of adult females, why is that the adult men's fault?

That said, one thing that could save The Marvels is strong overseas box office. Perhaps this movie plays better in Europe and Asia and Australia than it does in the USA?

If foreigners love The Marvels more than Americans, that would be able to boost its box office to break even territory.

TP2000

Here's the audience demo stats for last night's preview showings;

63% Males of all ages
37% Females of all ages

45% Men over age 25
24% Women over age 25

So why is it men's fault if The Marvels flops at the box office?

Where are all the ladies this weekend? There's a new movie you are supposed to go see!

TheMaxRebo

Interesting point. I just looked up tickets for The Marvels at the big Cinemark 25 multiplex near Disneyland. Cinemark offers discounted snack bar prices if you order them in advance with your tickets. There were a lot of empty seats in all the theaters showing The Marvels this evening at that theater.

Two tickets to the 9:00pm The Marvels in a small regular format theater, plus one large popcorn and two Cokes will cost you $54.10 after discount and tax.

If you want to see The Marvels in the upgraded large XD theater at 9:50pm, that same bundle will cost you $60.10 after discount and tax.

But as @Ghost93 rightly points out, Americans are more than willing to fork out good money to see a movie they really want to see in theaters. The Marvels does not seem to meet that threshold for most movie-goers, or at least not last night.

I think that all plays into how the movies have become "event only" - it's not something people do just to do something.

So there are currently only 2 movies that have reached a billion (Oppenheimer is very close) - only a hndful of movies really caught on

Like 4 of the top 10 are Disney films and everyone says Disney had a terrible year, which they did by their standards, but pretty much everyone did outside of Barbie, Oppenheimer, and Mario, which became a "thing"

When tickets to the moves are $15+ and most people have big TVs at home and can just wait a few months, going out to the moves becomes more of a big deal

TheMaxRebo

Here's the audience demo stats for last night's preview showings;

63% Males of all ages
37% Females of all ages

45% Men over age 25
24% Women over age 25

So why is it men's fault if The Marvels flops at the box office?

Where are all the ladies this weekend? There's a new movie you are supposed to go see!

well, I know my wife and teenage daughter went today (they just got back) and partly went together for "girl power reasons" so guess did their part (I saw it alone last night, we have younger kids so needed to trade off)

Word of mouth seems to be, at least, fairly positive, so will be interesting to see how the rest of the weekend does

TheMaxRebo

I didn't like the film, but I am genuinely glad that you and many others are. And for all of my criticisms of the movie, I think the best thing about it is that it had "heart." The Carol/Monica/Kamala dynamic is really sweet and I hope we get to see them reunite in a future movie.

I have constantly changed my mind on which Phase Four movies I like the most as some benefit from rewatches (Eternals) while others lose some of their shine once the hype dies down (Spider-man: No Way Home, which was an AMAZING theatrical experience that loses its impact at home). If I were to rank the MCU movies post Endgame:

2. Eternals (unpopular opinion, I know)
3. Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness
4. Spider-man: No Way Home
5. Black Panther: Wakanda Forever
6. Shang-Chi and the Legend of the 10 Rings
7. Black Widow
8. The Marvels
10. Thor: Love and Thunder (worst MCU movie of all time)

Obviously everyone views things differently but I think that is a fair list - the thing to me is those top 8 movies are all good, I enjoyed them all. I think the bar has gotten set very high for MCU films so that just "good and fun movie" isn't enough to make people happy.

I think I would go:

2. Shang-Chi and the Legend of the 10 Rings
3. Spider-man: No Way Home
4. Black Panther: Wakanda Forever
5. The Marvels
6. Eternals
7. Black Widow
8. Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness
10. Thor: Love and Thunder

but like I said, those top 8 I really enjoyed (or at least 7, I was disappointed in Multiverse of Madness, wanted more - but in a vacuum it wasn't bad or anything, compared to the bottom 2)

Ghost93

but like I said, those top 8 I really enjoyed (or at least 7, I was disappointed in Multiverse of Madness, wanted more - but in a vacuum it wasn't bad or anything, compared to the bottom 2)
To be fair, Multiverse of Madness is kind of divisive. In addition to the horror elements, the movie is sometimes very campy. I loved that about it, finding it delightfully cheesy, but I also totally understand people who prefer the more grounded approach to characters.

TheMaxRebo

To be fair, Multiverse of Madness is kind of divisive. In addition to the horror elements, the movie is sometimes very campy. I loved that about it, finding it delightfully cheesy, but I also totally understand people who prefer the more grounded approach to characters.

yeah, I get that ... I think it is one of those things were my hopes/expectations were like through the roof so it would have almost been impossible to hit them

But even if that is the 8th best movie, that is pretty good, like that means there are some good movies in the phase - it's jsut not as constructed as well as prior phases

MrPromey

63% of the audience was male? And only 24% of the audience for The Marvels were women over 25??? o_O

Why are American women not showing up to support inclusive stories of female empowerment?
You know the funny thing about it?

This was a movie with females in every lead and it was absolutely ethnically diverse but it did not feel like a female empowerment or DEI movie.

Captain Marvel didn't beat up and steal from a guy because he gave her unwanted attention like the first movie.

This really just felt like an action movie with females in the leads.

It felt like the direction they should be shooting for, moving away from the "see? see? look how inclusive we are?! Look how we get that women just want to punch guys in the face sometimes and we did that because who hasn't wanted to punch a guy?!"

There was no montage of anyone having to get over being a woman in the modern world to make it as a super hero. They were just women, portrayed as women (and not gender swapped characters where women were acting like men, ether) that were also super heros.

That part, I think they got very right - moving towards the ideal we should all want.

Having said all that, I agree with Ghost this wasn't an opus and some scenes (especially the first one on the planet surface) gave a real original series Star Trek feel to the scenery/effects but I don't think it was the absolute dog that Quantumania was, either.

Maybe I went in with lower expectations as a result of everything I read so they were easier to meet since I loved the first two Ant Man movies and with the team working on the third, was expecting it to follow that proven formula and was put off more... but that one also has a lower rotten tomato score so I think I'm safe in saying it was probably worse!

Vegas Disney Fan

You know the funny thing about it?

This was a movie with females in every lead and it was absolutely ethnically diverse but it did not feel like a female empowerment or DEI movie.

Captain Marvel didn't beat up and steal from a guy because he gave her unwanted attention like the first movie.

This really just felt like an action movie with females in the leads.

It felt like the direction they should be shooting for, moving away from the "see? see? look how inclusive we are?! Look how we get that women just want to punch guys in the face sometimes and we did that because who hasn't wanted to punch a guy?!"

There was no montage of anyone having to get over being a woman in the modern world to make it as a super hero. They were just women, portrayed as women (and not gender swapped characters where women were acting like men, ether) that were also super heros.

That part, I think they got very right - moving towards the ideal we should all want.

Having said all that, I agree with Ghost this wasn't an opus and some scenes (especially the first one on the planet surface) gave a real original series Star Trek feel to the scenery/effects but I don't think it was the absolute dog that Quantumania was, either.

Maybe I went in with lower expectations as a result of everything I read so they were easier to meet since I loved the first two Ant Man movies and with the team working on the third, was expecting it to follow that proven formula and was put off more... but that one also has a lower rotten tomato score so I think I'm safe in saying it was probably worse!
I made a similar comment the other day about how this movie is kind of devoid of what bothers many of us. There’s no race swapping, no gender swapping, no demasculating or replacing male characters we like…. It’s the type of show with diversity those of us on the right say Disney should be making.

Not saying that should make it an instant hit but I think it explains why it hasn’t seen the horrible vitriol other movies have seen.

We should be hoping It succeeds because it could push Disney to keep making new stories with diverse casts rather than remaking old movies while simply swapping characters.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Yeah the ticket costs are a lot, put people will fork up the money for a movie they really want to see.
Key word… really…

And that’s what’s so critical and different now vs years ago. People used to goto movies and just be open to what they go see… word of mouth, etc could be enough to get someone to give a movie a chance. They basically already accepted going to the theater was likely what they were doing for fun. The threshold to seeing a specific film was much lower.

Now… people are hesitant to give a film their money because its so expensive and the theater is no longer the ‘nothing else to do…’ default. Going to the theater is do expensive… some one has to ‘really’ want to go.

This causes a far greater divide for films. There is little middle ground… films either get people hooked…. Of miss out entirely

Casper Gutman

Captain Marvel doesn't beat up the motorcycle guy in the actual movie. That's a deleted scene that people pushing an agenda on the internet like to complain about even though it's not actually part of the MCU. She never touches him or even talks to him, she just takes the bike and some clothing from an unrelated mannequin in a sequence that lasts considerably less then 30 seconds.

People project a LOT of things onto the MCU films that are nowhere in the texts.

Last edited:

_caleb

Captain Marvel doesn't beat up the motorcycle guy in the actual movie. That's a deleted scene that people pushing an agenda on the internet like to complain about even though it's not actually part of the MCU. She never touches him or even talks to him, she just takes the bike and some clothing from an unrelated mannequin in a sequence that lasts considerably less then 30 seconds.

People project a LOT of things onto the MCU films that are nowhere in the texts.
I’d say most of the things people rail against when it comes to these films aren’t actually in the films.

MrPromey

So it was something I saw after the fact and just remembered into the movie?

It’s been long enough I guess it would make sense I have a false memory of seeing it in the theater that way if I rewatched that scene online.

EDIT:
Looking up the clip, I was wrong about the punching. It was the crippling hand handshake thing and then stealing his stuff in whatever part of a scene it was, originally cut.

Not arguing, btw, that they didn’t make the guy sleazy in the scene or that the behavior was inappropriate - just that the response seemed disproportionate which would probably be why they cut it.

I originally took it to be kind of an homage to the scene near the beginning of T2 not accounting for the fact that Arnold’s character basically had no ethic at that point in the movie.

Last edited:

Casper Gutman

So it was something I saw after the fact and just remembered into the movie?

It’s been long enough I guess it would make sense I have a false memory of seeing it in the theater that way if I rewatched that scene online.

EDIT:
Looking up the clip, I was wrong about the punching. It was the crippling hand handshake thing and then stealing his stuff in whatever part of a scene it was, originally cut.
It was always cut and still is. It’s not in the MCU and never was. She doesn’t touch him.

The moment you chose as representative of what the MCU does wrong doesn’t exist.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom