Captain Marvel 2: "The Marvels" -- Nov 10, 2023 Theatrical Release

TP2000

What were the projections for Mario opening weekend?

The final box office forecast for Super Mario Bros. just before its debut weekend (like The Marvels right now) had a 3 day opening weekend projection of $112 Million. But that was a lowball figure, per Box Office Pro standards.

Super Mario Bros. ended up having an opening weekend domestic box office of $146 Million. And then it went on to gross 1.36 Billion globally.

And you expect Marvels to make that kind of cash?

Here's what The Marvels looks like with its current projections, versus what Super Mario Bros. did six months ago.

It's A Video Game Apparently.jpg

Tony the Tigger

Trauma

You don't understand. Disney gets evaluated under a different set of rules.

For, you see, there are several ways to measure a film's success:
  • Critic's score on RT
  • Audience score on RT
  • Critic's score on Metacritic
  • Audience score on IMDB
  • Opening Weekend CinemaScore
  • Opening Weekend Box Office
  • Domestic Box Office
  • Foreign Box Office
  • Global Box Office
  • Week by week Box Office drop off
  • Whether the teasers and trailers were so good they made me scream with joy and cry at the same time
And if a Disney movie has a bad indicator, even if in just one of those criteria....

THEN IT'S A FLOP.

There is no "mixed" or middle ground. It has to succeed tremendously in every way, else, it's the worst thing ever.

So, get on board!!
It’s a flop because it’s going to lose a ton of money.

Tony the Tigger

All this time I've been reading your name as Tony the Tiger
It’s a play on Tony the Tiger. 😀
Was he replying to someone? I didn't see it... just looked like a standalone post.

Regardless - that show should be mandatory viewing for everyone who has ever participated in these threads. It swings through extremes at time for it's humor... but how it closes on all it's plots is actually really good and insightful commentary.
Big South Park fan. My husband and I have called each other Kyle forever. (If we use real names, someone is probably upset!)

Our wedding cake toppers 16 years ago were Kyle and Kyle.

I love the “evil Mickey Mouse” character.

The new one makes fun of all angles.
For what it's worth, I'm showing empty theaters for the next three showings tonight at my local theater.
I almost wish that were the case here. We had a good shot at a fairly empty 5pm showing, but DH didn’t wake up in time (after working overnight.) The rest of the night, between 2 different theaters, we would have been in less than ideal seats because they were pretty full. We’ll try again another time.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Thought is was a good fun popcorn superhero film. Great action, great character interaction. Could have used at least 10-20 minutes more to give more time to explore the swapping and a bit more on Carol's time away in my opinion. But overall was a good time.

Still hope it performs well at the box office, won't be surprised if it doesn't as I've mentioned before.

Ghost93

I thought it was one of Marvel's weakest movies, unfortunately. The three leads are great, and I loved the team dynamic. There were also two highly amusing sequences that I admired for being flat out weird.

Everything else about the movie was a mess. The villain was completely uninteresting, and the entire plot revolving around the villain was about as bland and basic and boring as you can get. The MCU has always had a villain problem, but it was especially egregious here.

The editing was also off, and the visuals were weak. Much of it felt like it was shot in front of a green screen.

I would like to see all three characters — Captain Marvel, Ms. Mavel, and Captain Rambeau — team up again in a better-written movie in the future. And the mid-credits scene was very exciting and made me eager for the future of the MCU. But this was just not a well-made movie. I'd say it's on par with Ant-man and the Wasp Quantumania. Quantumania had a better villain, but The Marvels had a little bit more heart due to the team dynamic.

Marvel needs to ensure they perfect the scripts before they start shooting. The company would need to spend so much on reshoots if they simply made sure they had a story worth telling at the script stage.

Last edited:

TP2000

The Marvels skewed guys at 63% with men over 25 the biggest turnout at 45% and women over 25 at 24%. That latter demo gave the best recommendation grades of any demo at 61%.

63% of the audience was male? And only 24% of the audience for The Marvels were women over 25??? o_O

Why are American women not showing up to support inclusive stories of female empowerment?

Tha Realest

At least it played well with the kids last night.

Thursday night PostTrak exits from ComScore/Screen Engine were severe for general audiences at 3.5 stars, but 4 1/2 stars from parents and 5 stars from kids under 12. That said, kids and parents combined only repped 9% of last night’s audience. The Marvels skewed guys at 63% with men over 25 the biggest turnout at 45% and women over 25 at 24%. That latter demo gave the best recommendation grades of any demo at 61%.
Why aren’t women showing up to the most female-centric superhero film made to date?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom