Captain Marvel 2: "The Marvels" -- Nov 10, 2023 Theatrical Release

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
While I hope it does well, no one said all that.

What this shows is that initial reviews are not indicative of the overall critics response, only those that like to put their reviews up first. It’s why we shouldn’t take things just at face value.

Also critics RT scores don’t necessarily translate to audience reactions or box office.

Take the recent example of Mario -

View attachment 753377

Shows that critics didn't really like it, but yet audiences did and made over $1B. So critics RT scores don't really show much in terms of how something really will do at the box office.
What were the projections for Mario opening weekend?

And you expect Marvels to make that kind of cash?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster
It will be if it doesn't overcome what they think opening weekend is going to look like....
Elemental had a devastatingly low opening weekend. Predictions of huge flop. It rallied.

This is why I don't predict how a movie will do. I may talk about good and bad indicators, but when you go on the record with a prediction, it can sometimes make one look foolish.

TalkingHead

RT is unusable unless you’re looking at Top Critics. The overall score include reviews from sites like Comic Book Movie Central and Bill’s Movie Blog. Very credible viewpoints if you’re a Marvel addict. Less so for the rest of humanity.

When you look at the Top Critics on this, it’s dire. Haven’t seen so many 0/4, 1/4, 1.5/4, 2/5 reviews of a major tentpole release in ages.

mary2013

I was not the hugest fan of Ms Marvel as a series. I didn't like the two-dimensional government bad guys ready to break the rules because they couldn't let go of their apparent zeal for profiling and I could have done without the Marvel-tinged history lesson regarding the partition in India.*

I get it's a real thing that affected many people in that part of the world and that it's something they apparently cover in the comics but I'm not really looking for history lessons from other countries in my super hero stuff.**

Having said all of that, I thought her portrayal was awesome - like even better than Tom as Peter Parker in terms of the new innocent one coming into their own.

I was looking forward to this one to see more of that character and I'm still going to see it but my expectations have been dropping now for months.

However this does, I really hope they find a place for her in something that works. I think the character and the actress both deserve it.

*I assume I wasn't the target audience this was meant to pander to.

**Not against learning - just don't like it hoisted on me in my escapist entertainment.
Don't mean to be argumentative, but did you dislike the X-Men movies for going into Magneto's background in a concentration camp?

MrPromey

Don't mean to be argumentative, but did you dislike the X-Men movies for going into Magneto's background in a concentration camp?
Depends on the amount of runtime they decided to devote to that backstory in a movie or show that bills itself a something else. (full disclosure, I haven't seen all the X-Men movies so you may be referencing something I don't understand)

In the case of Ms. Marvel, they took a story about a teenage girl in NJ and flashed back to something that had nothing to do with her, directly. At least in the case of Magneto, it created context for his world view and why he was a complex villain. In her case, it was some sort of place-making to explain why beings wanted to use her up to get back to their own dimension or space or whatever?

Devoting an episode or more of a show like this that only drops one a week where things slide into an entirely different tone and pacing from the rest of it just felt weird.

To be clear, that's just my personal take on it and I want to be clear on that - I'm not suggesting I am the arbiter of all that should and shouldn't be.

I clearly wasn't the target audience this was intended for in more ways than one which would be fine if not for this whole MCU thing where everything bleeds into everything else intentionally so they can manipulate audiences with FOMO to sit through everything, including the Eternals.

That's where the "we didn't make this for you" argument falls apart some. (not that you are saying that but it's an argument I've heard a few times) They didn't make this or that for the audience they've groomed for a decade+ to watch everything they put out to keep up with the overarching story?

Last edited:

MrPromey

Yes, as Disney fans, we’re all naturally against “edutainment.” 🫤
How clever of you. 🙄

Sure, I'll play along - huge difference between The Land at Epcot and having a point on Big Thunder Mountain where the train stops for you to watch a six minute movie about the environmental effects of mining and the displacement of Native Americans as a result of prospectors claiming land for natural resources.

Anyway, god forbid I be allowed my own opinion, right?

But you do you.

200w.gif

MrPromey

While I hope it does well, no one said all that.

What this shows is that initial reviews are not indicative of the overall critics response, only those that like to put their reviews up first. It’s why we shouldn’t take things just at face value.

Also critics RT scores don’t necessarily translate to audience reactions or box office.

Take the recent example of Mario -

View attachment 753377

Shows that critics didn't really like it, but yet audiences did and made over $1B. So critics RT scores don't really show much in terms of how something really will do at the box office.

You make a good point, there.

_caleb

In the case of Ms. Marvel, they took a story about a teenage girl in NJ and flashed back to something that had nothing to do with her, directly. At least in the case of Magneto, it created context for his world view and why he was a complex villain. In her case, it was some sort of place-making to explain why beings wanted to use her up to get back to their own dimension or space or whatever?
The flashback had EVERYTHING to do with establishing Kamala's situation in New Jersey and the fear and trauma her community lived with.

MrPromey

The flashback had EVERYTHING to do with establishing Kamala's situation in New Jersey and the fear and trauma her community lived with.
If you say so.

There are a number of events in far more recent times that I'm pretty sure would have had a bigger impact on the fear and trauma her community is living with across the river from NY.

I'm sure we could have gotten an exposition backstory going four generations back on any of the other Marvel heros in the middle of their movie/show too to explain the world views of their part of NY or Russia or Louisiana or wherever but to my knowledge, they haven't done that.

Anyway, as I've now said repeatedly, it's just my opinion. This was all just me clearly saying what *I* didn't like so what's the point here? To tell me I'm wrong to have an opinion that differs from yours? To convince me I'm wrong?

What's the play?

Last edited:

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
I doubt it… she has Hunger Games on the mind first… and early reactions have said she is great in it
Hopefully people actually show up to see it then...projections for this one are not exactly...catching fire....

see what I did there?

Anyways, I think the budget for this one was only $100 million.

_caleb

If you say so.

There are a number of events in far more recent times that I'm pretty sure would have had a bigger impact on the fear and trauma her community is living with in NJ.

I'm sure we could have gotten an exposition backstory going four generations back on any of the other Marvel heros in the middle of their movie/show too to explain the world views of their part of NY or Russia or Louisiana or wherever but to my knowledge, they haven't done that.

Anyway, as I've now said repeatedly, it's just my opinion. This was all just me clearly saying what *I* didn't like so what's the point here? To tell me I'm wrong to have an opinion that differs from yours? To convince me I'm wrong?

What's the play?
No "play." No agenda. I thought you wanted to discuss the Partition scenes in Ms. Marvel since you offered your opinion about it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom