Captain Marvel 2: "The Marvels" -- Nov 10, 2023 Theatrical Release

_caleb

We’ve hit the 100+ review mark so starting to get to a consensus (KBFE Radio Tucson has yet to be heard from).

Note out of the 33 Marvel films, this isn’t yet the lowest, that honor still goes to Eternals, directed by Chloe Zhao, at 36% Top Critics and 47% All Critics.

We’ll have to wait and see where it eventually settles to see if that record is safe.

(Oh, and in case you’re wondering, the best reviewed Marvel film is Black Panther at 99% Top Critics and 96% All Critics because racism. Or something.)

View attachment 753286View attachment 753287
Do you think audience’s attitudes about race should be factored into analysis of box office performance?

_caleb

I’m looking forward to seeing this over the weekend. I’m not a huge fan of Larson’s subdued portrayal of Danvers in Captain Marvel, but I really liked Vellani’s Ms. Marvel. I’m glad Disney is trying new things with these films and I hope audiences give the film a chance.

Hawkeye_2018

I was never looking forward to this one so this doesn't really change my opinion on the MCU.
Deadpool 3 should be fun. Not sure what to think about the new Captain America film yet. I'm most looking forward to the Thunderbolts film

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
I can’t wait for Brie to tell me I’m the problem when this bombs.

It makes me want to consume more Disney products when their actors lecture me and remind me what a terrible person I am.

Marvel is toast.
If it bombs...maybe some good incentive for them to do better? One can hope.

TP2000

I can’t wait for Brie to tell me I’m the problem when this bombs.

I can't wait for someone here to claim The Marvels bombed partly because the strike prevented Brie and Teyonah and Iman from going on the 3 late night talk shows. The same late night talk shows that in 2023 have the following number of average viewers nightly in the 25 to 54 age Nielsen demographic;

Stephen Colbert = 375,000 nightly viewers in 25-54 demographic
The Tonight Show = 318,000 nightly viewers in 25-54 demographic
Jimmy Kimmel = 287,000 nightly viewers in 25-54 demographic

Combined, that's 980,000 Americans aged 25 to 54 who tune in nightly to one of the three talk shows. The current population of the United States is 335 Million. 980,000 people is 0.3% of the population of the United States.

If only Brie and Teyonah and Iman could have gone on the late night talk shows this week and won over 0.3% of the US population, The Marvels would have done much better at the box office.

DKampy

I’m looking forward to seeing this over the weekend. I’m not a huge fan of Larson’s subdued portrayal of Danvers in Captain Marvel, but I really liked Vellani’s Ms. Marvel. I’m glad Disney is trying new things with these films and I hope audiences give the film a chance.
most critics are praising Vellani’s performance even the ones who dislike The Marvel… and I could not be happier… she is a delight in Ms Marvel… and I will be seeing this if for nothing else… her performance

MrPromey

most critics are praising Vellani’s performance even the ones who dislike The Marvel… and I could not be happier… she is a delight in Ms Marvel… and I will be seeing this if for nothing else… her performance
I was not the hugest fan of Ms Marvel as a series. I didn't like the two-dimensional government bad guys ready to break the rules because they couldn't let go of their apparent zeal for profiling and I could have done without the Marvel-tinged history lesson regarding the partition in India.*

I get it's a real thing that affected many people in that part of the world and that it's something they apparently cover in the comics but I'm not really looking for history lessons from other countries in my super hero stuff.**

Having said all of that, I thought her portrayal was awesome - like even better than Tom as Peter Parker in terms of the new innocent one coming into their own.

I was looking forward to this one to see more of that character and I'm still going to see it but my expectations have been dropping now for months.

However this does, I really hope they find a place for her in something that works. I think the character and the actress both deserve it.

*I assume I wasn't the target audience this was meant to pander to.

**Not against learning - just don't like it hoisted on me in my escapist entertainment.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Getting closer to Fresh territory…The Marvels are at 59% on the tomato meter

Has moved into Fresh....

1699512487746.png

TP2000

Has moved into Fresh....

View attachment 753375

It's going to be a huge hit!

It'll get $100 Million on its opening weekend, as 170 Million American women and 629,946 Americans of Pakistani descent flock to the theaters to see an inclusive story of female empowerment. And they'll bring their dates to it too.

I bet it will cross the $600-ish Million it needs at the global box office to break even by Thanksgiving.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
It's going to be a huge hit!

It'll get $100 Million on its opening weekend, as 170 Million American women and 629,946 Americans of Pakistani descent flock to the theaters to see an inclusive story of female empowerment. And they'll bring their dates to it too.

I bet it will cross the $600-ish Million it needs at the global box office to break even by Thanksgiving.
While I hope it does well, no one said all that.

What this shows is that initial reviews are not indicative of the overall critics response, only those that like to put their reviews up first. It’s why we shouldn’t take things just at face value.

Also critics RT scores don’t necessarily translate to audience reactions or box office.

Take the recent example of Mario -

1699515457599.png

Shows that critics didn't really like it, but yet audiences did and made over $1B. So critics RT scores don't really show much in terms of how something really will do at the box office.

LSLS

What this shows is that initial reviews are not indicative of the overall critics response, only those that like to put their reviews up first. It’s why we shouldn’t take things just at face value.

Also critics RT scores don’t necessarily translate to audience reactions or box office.

View attachment 753377

Shows that critics didn't really like it, but yet audiences did and made over $1B. So critics RT scores don't really show much in terms of how something really will do at the box office.
Cause critics are terrible (yes, I have an unhealthy hatred of movie critics).

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster

View attachment 753377

You don't understand. Disney gets evaluated under a different set of rules.

For, you see, there are several ways to measure a film's success:
  • Critic's score on RT
  • Audience score on RT
  • Critic's score on Metacritic
  • Audience score on IMDB
  • Opening Weekend CinemaScore
  • Opening Weekend Box Office
  • Domestic Box Office
  • Foreign Box Office
  • Global Box Office
  • Week by week Box Office drop off
  • Whether the teasers and trailers were so good they made me scream with joy and cry at the same time
And if a Disney movie has a bad indicator, even if in just one of those criteria....

THEN IT'S A FLOP.

There is no "mixed" or middle ground. It has to succeed tremendously in every way, else, it's the worst thing ever.

So, get on board!!

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom