Captain Marvel 2: "The Marvels" -- Nov 10, 2023 Theatrical Release

Goofy Ninja

Awful!

This movie looks so cringey. And Nick Fury bares no resemblance to the version they put in the lousy Secret Invasion show.

LSLS

The complaint of Disney against its first directors were that they were constantly reshooting as they went along trying to feel their way around rather than knowing what they want and just shooting it. The lack of direction and cost of multiple reshoots along the way was the reason they were fired.

Then Ron Howard had to try to fix all that. And they didn't give him enough time and so they put out a product that wasn't ready. And Iger blamed himself for pushing for a full schedule of SW movies.

Now, they could have delayed the movie until it was right, but that would cost more and balloon the budget. And Iger didn't want the scolds on these forums to declare the movie a flop because it didn't turn a profit in the theatrical window because of a big budget.
Right, but point being, I could see if a movie was like Solo which I thought was like 2/3 reshoots or something like that as being a legit complaint, but unless a movie is doing that, I don't think you there is a legit complaint on reshoots. Something like Sonic with their under $100 million budget also had reshoots.

Phroobar

I'd be upset if Dar-Benn didn't look like this.
iu

General Dar-Benn along with Ael-Dan and several other Kree soldiers, after growing tired of the rule of Clumsy Foulup, planned to assassinate him and rule in his place. To this end they had a robotic Silver Surfer created so that Clumsy would die and his death could be placed at the feet of the Skrulls.[2]

Ael-Dan and Dar-Benn became joint emperors of the Kree Empire. During Operation Galactic Storm, both were murdered by Deathbird. Their minds were later absorbed into the Supreme Intelligence.[3]

doctornick

If the word of mouth matches the reviews this could be a sleeper hit.

I find myself questioning Disneys marketing once again, months of negativity surrounding this movie and the week before it releases they drop a better (imho) trailer and then when they finally allow reviews they are glowing,

I’m not sure that follows. The latest trailer seems to portray the film as a more generic Marvel/comic book straightforward “save the universe” concept. The reviews that praise it seem to me to particularly note how great Kamala is and the general wackiness of it (and the Flerkens!) which really wasn’t how the last trailer sold the film. In fact, they pretty much sidelined Iman Vellani in the last trailer.

My gut is that the marketing was more “accurate” early on but that wasn’t drawing in people despite the film (potentially) being good so they did a last minute push using more generic action shots and quotes to try to draw in the folks who had written the film off and then hope the quality wins them over.

Jedijax719

This will likely make the least amount of $$$ for any MCU film-even lower than Incredible Hulk.

Personally, I think they should consider cancelling Kang Dynasty and start over with Fantastic Four and then X-Men. Destin should move forward with a Shang Chi 2 and they should parse out which Avengers they will move forward with. Right now, of the existing ones, Shang Chi and Spiderman may be the only hopes they have until they push Doctor Doom into the limelight and then they can re-create a new overarching villain.

LSLS

This will likely make the least amount of $$$ for any MCU film-even lower than Incredible Hulk.

Personally, I think they should consider cancelling Kang Dynasty and start over with Fantastic Four and then X-Men. Destin should move forward with a Shang Chi 2 and they should parse out which Avengers they will move forward with. Right now, of the existing ones, Shang Chi and Spiderman may be the only hopes they have until they push Doctor Doom into the limelight and then they can re-create a new overarching villain.
The problem is I think they miss-stepped bad. Spiderman is kind of out of everything at this point (as far as being a main Avenger), and Wanda is gone, so big explanations will need to occur to get them back. I think both of them should have been key pieces going forward along with Strange. Personally, I think the Wanda/Strange/Spiderman stuff should have been the bridge to X-Men and then you roll with them as the mains for like 4 phases, and then transition to the Fantastic 4 after that.

Indy_UK

Don’t be surprised if quite a few of the main MCU actors either don’t come back again or want out of their contracts the way it send to be diving. I saw Elizabeth Olsen is now done?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The problem is I think they miss-stepped bad. Spiderman is kind of out of everything at this point (as far as being a main Avenger), and Wanda is gone, so big explanations will need to occur to get them back. I think both of them should have been key pieces going forward along with Strange. Personally, I think the Wanda/Strange/Spiderman stuff should have been the bridge to X-Men and then you roll with them as the mains for like 4 phases, and then transition to the Fantastic 4 after that.
MCU is in bad shape…I’m just “ahead of the curve” in saying it 😎

doctornick

Well, I was wondering why they were doing the embargos so late - they usually are willing to open it up earlier for Marvel films if they are feeling good about them. I guess we have our answer. Kind of surprised they didn't let the social media embargo end a week earlier or something to have some time to maybe get some hype before these reviews.

It looks fun to me so I'll go see it, but with those kinds of reviews on top of the general public sentiment, this looks like a bomb. Pity.

Tha Realest

We’ve hit the 100+ review mark so starting to get to a consensus (KBFE Radio Tucson has yet to be heard from).

Note out of the 33 Marvel films, this isn’t yet the lowest, that honor still goes to Eternals, directed by Chloe Zhao, at 36% Top Critics and 47% All Critics.

We’ll have to wait and see where it eventually settles to see if that record is safe.

(Oh, and in case you’re wondering, the best reviewed Marvel film is Black Panther at 99% Top Critics and 96% All Critics because racism. Or something.)

View attachment 753286View attachment 753287
How could The Wrong People™️ affect these reviews in such a way?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom