Captain Marvel 2: "The Marvels" -- Nov 10, 2023 Theatrical Release

Vegas Disney Fan

If the word of mouth matches the reviews this could be a sleeper hit.

I find myself questioning Disneys marketing once again, months of negativity surrounding this movie and the week before it releases they drop a better (imho) trailer and then when they finally allow reviews they are glowing,

Feels like it’s a couple weeks too late to salvage the opening weekend but this thing could have legs. Might be another Elemental that looks like it's in trouble after one week but ends up doing ok in the long run.

TP2000

Promo for The Marvels on the Sphere in Vegas.

I saw the Sphere in Las Vegas myself a few weeks ago. Both in the daylight and as I was leaving town after sundown. It's an extremely impressive and unusual sight. I wonder how much Disney had to pay them to do this fun gimmick?

Screamface

I don't really know if I have ever seen a Marvel movie I thought was bad. I don't remember Thor 2, The Eternals or the last Ant-Man though. TV shows have been a bit rough though.

If this was in a rough place. Just chopping stuff out seems like a good idea then endlessly spending money on reshoots. Does Disney really do that? Scrapbooking? I don't honestly know if that's just a myth that gets repeated or if it is true. I assume it's probably partially true on a few things.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster
endlessly spending money on reshoots.
There are almost always reshoots for any tentpole film.

People who want to cast a movie in a bad light (for reasons) often point to reshoots as if they were abnormal. And if that didn't generate a groundswell of popular hate against they movie, they exaggerate the amount of reshoots.

Reshoots are to refine the movie and make it better. That's a sign the studio isn't settling for less.

LSLS

There are almost always reshoots for any tentpole film.

People who want to cast a movie in a bad light (for reasons) often point to reshoots as if they were abnormal. And if that didn't generate a groundswell of popular hate against they movie, they exaggerate the amount of reshoots.

Reshoots are to refine the movie and make it better. That's a sign the studio isn't settling for less.
Yeah, they really mean nothing unless you are doing virtually the entire movie (didn't that happen for Solo, or am I remembering wrong?). But even lower budget movies have reshoots a lot of the time (lower budget being in the $75 million range).

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster
Yeah, they really mean nothing unless you are doing virtually the entire movie (didn't that happen for Solo, or am I remembering wrong?). But even lower budget movies have reshoots a lot of the time (lower budget being in the $75 million range).
The complaint of Disney against its first directors were that they were constantly reshooting as they went along trying to feel their way around rather than knowing what they want and just shooting it. The lack of direction and cost of multiple reshoots along the way was the reason they were fired.

Then Ron Howard had to try to fix all that. And they didn't give him enough time and so they put out a product that wasn't ready. And Iger blamed himself for pushing for a full schedule of SW movies.

Now, they could have delayed the movie until it was right, but that would cost more and balloon the budget. And Iger didn't want the scolds on these forums to declare the movie a flop because it didn't turn a profit in the theatrical window because of a big budget.

TalkingHead

Good summation of the bottom-feeder depths of modern “film criticism” (uh, sure, Jan).

Only looked up the first guy whose tweet was posted. Two of his previous takes: “Shang Chi is an absolute triumph, unexpectedly spiritual and emotionally complex” and “Really love Captain Marvel. It’s a little wobbly at times but only because it’s so ambitious. It’s beautifully constructed, hilarious and offers tons of surprises.” Ok, so he’s a fan.

Everyone at this point knows how they’re going to respond to these things sight unseen. The only remaining question in any of this is whether general audiences are willing to pay to see this stuff in theatrical release.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom