Captain Marvel 2: "The Marvels" -- Nov 10, 2023 Theatrical Release

TalkingHead

Just recapping, Disney hired a 30 year old whose previous experience at the time was a $1M budgeted indie film to direct a $275M tentpole Marvel film for global audiences.

Will be interesting to see how that works out for them.
On the plus side, the film meets the Academy’s diversity requirements so it will be eligible to win Oscars next March.

LSLS

I don't think the multiverse is a huge issue, I still think cohesion is. They really needed some main characters to stick it out with. You have the next generation of avengers being built up, but now you are adding in Kate Bishop, She-Hulk, Shang Chi, Eternals, US Agent (think that was his name), etc. while not really carrying on the story lines outside of wherever they are showing up. Something as simple as Nick Fury appearing in all of the old movies just to show there is a connection isn't there. Now you have all these that feel like one offs, and that just makes these feel like "Eh, if I miss it, no big deal."

Willmark

Marvels (and this is a guess) feels a lot like Eternals: movies no one was asking for. Add to this Captain Marvel road the coattails of Endgame. This time around it doesn’t have that support and we likely to see the results of that.

As to direction?
A few random thoughts:
- Dark Phoenix. Both times it’s been attempted it’s been horrible. Seems the directors/writers/producers never got what drove the story: humanity, Jean’s ultimate sacrifice and lastly the bond of her AND Scott/Cyclops share, not Hugh Jackman, err… Wolverine. I’ll leave the direct comparisons mostly alone but Jean as Phoenix as a cosmic entity commits some heinous crimes; yet her arc makes her compelling.

- Secret Wars, the real one with the Beyonder which would be a massive hit IMO. That’s world shaking (literally in universe) and epic in scale. Ties into the next point.

- Dr Doom. So far on screen has been a disaster. Tie in his quest for power from Secret Wars and it could be a hit.

My own person ones are something like Contest of Champions or West Coast Avengers. The inonic energy version of Wonderman as the anti hero could be good.

Last edited:

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Marvels (and this is a guess) feels a lot like Eternals: movies no one was asking for. Add to this Captain Marvel road the coattails of Endgame. This time around it doesn’t have that support and we likely to see the results of that.

As to direction?
A few random thoughts:
- Dark Phoenix. Both times it’s been attempted it’s been horrible. Seems the directors/writers/producers never got what drove the story: humanity, Jean’s ultimate sacrifice and lastly the bond of her AND Scott/Cyclops share, not Hugh Jackman, err… Wolverine. I’ll leave the direct comparisons mostly alone but Jean as Phoenix as a cosmic entity commits some heinous crimes; yet her arc makes her compelling.

- Secret Wars, the real one with the Beyonder which would be a massive hit IMO. That’s world shaking (literally in universe) and epic in scale. Ties into the next point.

- Dr Doom. So far on screen has been a disaster. Tie in his quest for power from Secret Wars and it could be a hit.

My own person ones are something like Contest of Champions or West Coast Avengers. The inonic energy version of Wonderman as the anti hero could be good.
I kinda doubt that Feige will try to do Dark Phoenix after the last attempt, at least not for awhile.

Secret Wars, if done properly, in my opinion should lead into Battleworld. But I rather them do the Dr Doom storyline rather than Beyonder personally. And I sort of suspect they are heading in that direction, especially if rumors of them considering dropping Kang is true.

MoonRakerSCM

1699402830946.png

TalkingHead

Is this the first big test case of taking a lead character or actor from a D+ series and making them a lead or co-lead in a feature? If so, the colossal failure of the D+ approach to franchise series can’t be overstated.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster
The 90’s animated series did okay with it? But I feel it too got a little weird
Yeah, the animated version was not a good linear story, leaving me puzzled at times.

But in case you thought that I was referring to the animated series, here's a reminder of the two live action Phoenixes...

Tha Realest

Yeah, the animated version was not a good linear story, leaving me puzzled at times.

But in case you thought that I was referring to the animated series, here's a reminder of the two live action Phoenixes...

Oh I knew of the two attempts. I was just trying to reach back to the one non-comic adaptation that kind of worked

MarvelCharacterNerd

Latest trailer was disappointing to me. I want the goofy comedy with Kamala and Monica and flerkens and Captain Marvel trying to herd all of them. Not another forgettable villain we don't care about trying to kill a lot of people by breaking the universe.

I don't want the darkness and it does (as mentioned above) feel more like a DC movie from that trailer than Marvel. :(

Revealing the Captain Marvel/Valkyrie meetup to give hope for the hookup people wanted ages ago does feel like a desperation queerbaiting move for marketing. And it seems more like "here's how to lead, fellow hero" speechifying than any kind of a meet-cute or romantic tension that would have been a fun addition to a comedy of Carol trying to herd the new heroes PLUS kitties. Give me THAT movie. PLEASE.

Willmark

I kinda doubt that Feige will try to do Dark Phoenix after the last attempt, at least not for awhile.

Secret Wars, if done properly, in my opinion should lead into Battleworld. But I rather them do the Dr Doom storyline rather than Beyonder personally. And I sort of suspect they are heading in that direction, especially if rumors of them considering dropping Kang is true.
I don’t doubt that is the case, I’m offering up where they could go not where they will.

Some of the decisions they have made on what movies they have put forth are baffling when Dark Phoenix has been done so badly. It’s always in the top echelon of greatest Marvel comics storylines of all time. I get that it’s not in the current MCU, prior property of Sony film wise and all that.

All that said? “Hey I know let’s release Eternals as a movie!” When I heard they were moving forward with it as a movie a few years back, my reaction was one of bewilderment as nearly all of the movie going audience would no idea or care who they are and it showed in the results. Eternals? Really?

If Marvel is looking at teams of super heroes? There are a few they could go with, but likely won’t:

Defenders- they’ve always been seen as a sort of B list Avengers, I only offer them up; personally I’m not sure where they go with them if at all.

Invaders- this could work if done right but would required Chris’s Evans, I’m not sure he’d want to do it; as in not likely. But a movie or triology in the vein of Captain America, First Avenger consisting of:
Captain America
Union Jack
Spitfire
Toro/Human Torch
Sub Mariner

That’s the core, fighting a nazi bad guy like Master Man or Baron Blood.

As to the likes of Whizzer or Miss America maybe but those two would likely need to be changed of included for the big screen. Whizzer because of Quicksilver already on screen and Miss America being somewhat underpowered in the comics. That’s an easy enough fix in the MCU.

First Avenger had a warmth to it that especially with the MCU movies now is lacking.

Consider the Howling Commandos in the movie and Bucky and then contrast with Eternals. One the audience cares about if only because Cap does. The second? Most are left scratching their heads.

Throw in some cameos of Agent Carter and Bucky, Howard Stark and there will be some natural tie ins.

A lot of this is just throwing stuff at the wall and unlikely to ever happen. WW2 era super hero stuff should be unifying for a movie going audience, but I could easily see issues which I’ll leave out as it’s likely to be a divisive topic or topics for the site.

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster
Yep, so far all the critic social media I’ve seen have been positive. We’ll see what is said when the reviews come in tomorrow.
I've seen out of every 20:
  • 1 totally negative
  • 8 generally positive and recommend but calling out weaknesses
  • 6 positive
  • 5 extremely positive
One negative one made a reference to a Jackson Pollock painting as if that was the epitome of bad...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom