Captain Marvel 2: "The Marvels" -- Nov 10, 2023 Theatrical Release

Vegas Disney Fan

But the movie might be a goofy comedy. Who knows. All I know is that this new trailer is selling an entirely different movie than the previous trailers, which makes me think that Disney/Marvel doesn't know how to sell this movie.
I thought the same, this looks nothing like the movie advertised in the previous commercials, I think Disney is looking at forecasts and this is their hail mary.

Casper Gutman

The final trailer for The Marvels has been released.

OK... I hate this. Marvel's strength has always been its casting and characterization and humor, not meaningless laser shows. The interlocking plots were fun, but not the real point, at least not for me. Even Endgame was as much a time travel comedy as it was a big "serious" fight. I absolutely do not understand people who find this more appealing then the first trailer... if you want straight faced bombast, the Snyderverse is right back there.

I feel like, after 30 some MCU and a huge number of other superhero films, fans are still a little ashamed of liking these movies - they have to be assured its all SUPER SERIOUS and ADULT. A lot of SW fans are the same way, which is why the lackluster Rogue One is so revered (moreso then Andor, which actually IS thoughtful and adult in a way few genre products are - but actually BEING those things is a lot more intimidating then just pretending to be).

And it very, very depressingly seems to confirm that Marvel has reason to believe a teenage Pakistani girl will alienate audience members - Ms Marvel's presence is minimized after being highlighted in trailer 1.

Last edited:

Disney Irish

Premium Member
OK... I hate this. Marvel's strength has always been its casting and characterization and humor, not meaningless laser shows. The interlocking plots were fun, but not the real point, at least not for me. Even Endgame was as much a time travel comedy as it was a big "serious" fight. I absolutely do not understand people who find this more appealing then the first trailer... if you want straight faced bombast, the Snyderverse is right back there.

I feel like, after 30 some MCU and a huge number of other superhero films, fans are still a little ashamed of liking these movies - they have to be assured its all SUPER SERIOUS and ADULT. A lot of SW fans are the same way, which is why the lackluster Rogue One is so revered (moreso then Andor, which actually IS thoughtful and adult in a way few genre products are - but actually BEING those things is a lot more intimidating then just pretending to be).

And it very, very depressingly seems to confirm that Marvel has reason to believe a teenage Pakistani girl will alienate audience members - Ms Marvel's presence is minimized after being highlighted in trailer 1.
MCU has always had multiple cuts of their trailers, some serious and some more fun. Its just another trailer that has been cut to try and appeal to different types of fans.

I wouldn't read too much into it, this isn't a last minute change of the movie. Ms Marvel for example will still be a large part of the film I'm sure of it.

Casper Gutman

MCU has always had multiple cuts of their trailers, some serious and some more fun. Its just another trailer that has been cut to try and appeal to different types of fans.

I wouldn't read too much into it. Ms Marvel for example will still be a large part of the film I'm sure of it.
Fair enough. The shock of going from the charming first trailer to this probably made me overly pessimistic. Seems desperate, though.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Fair enough. The shock of going from the charming first trailer to this probably made me overly pessimistic. Seems desperate, though.
I wouldn't call it desperate, but to each their own. If it gets fans that were on the fence about whether they should go or not, well its done its job.

DKampy

I agree….I do not see what makes this film unique from any other generic superhero movie from the latest trailer…I did find the first trailer charming and fun. Also removing Ms Marvel is a detriment…I think she is one of the brighter spots of the latest phases…Plus for all the people complaining about trading places through their powers being unoriginal….seems unique to me…I can’t think of another instance when that has happen in a superhero film

Casper Gutman

I agree….I do not see what makes this film unique from any other generic superhero movie from the latest trailer…I did find the first trailer charming and fun. Also removing Ms Marvel is a detriment…I think she is one of the brighter spots of the latest phases…Plus for all the people complaining about trading places through their powers being unoriginal….seems unique to me…I can’t think of another instance when that has happen in a superhero film
Posters keep comparing it to Freaky Friday which is... a totally different premise? I mean, that seems far less accurate then, for instance, saying Endgame looked like Back to the Future.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
In all fairness while this appears to be more unique due to the at least initial swapping bodies aspect, Fox's Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer did the switching powers type trope 16 years ago.

Also they didn't remove Ms Marvel, she is still in the trailer. Its just a different focused trailer, again trying to focus in on the Avengers aspect of the plot. This is similar to another trailer that came out about a month ago.

And lastly, which no one appears to have picked up on at least in this thread..... It shows that Valkyrie and Carol will finally meet in this movie, something that comic fans have wanted since both characters debuted in the MCU.

Last edited:

Casper Gutman

In all fairness while this appears to be a more unique due to the at least initial swapping bodies aspect, Fox's Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer did the switching powers type trope 16 years ago.

Also they didn't remove Ms Marvel, she is still in the trailer. Its just a different focused trailer, again trying to focus in on the Avengers aspect of the plot. This is similar to another trailer that came out about a month ago.

And lastly, which no one appears to have picked up on..... It shows that Valkyrie and Carol will meet in this movie, something that comic fans have wanted since both characters debut in the MCU.
They aren't swapping bodies OR powers! They're swapping locations! This doesn't seem that hard to understand.

And I'm a pretty big MCU AND comic fan and I follow this stuff pretty closely and I have absolutely no sense that having Valkyrie and Carol meet has been a significant fan desire (I've never seen it expressed once).

Disney Irish

Premium Member
They aren't swapping bodies OR powers! They're swapping locations! This doesn't seem that hard to understand.

And I'm a pretty big MCU AND comic fan and I follow this stuff pretty closely and I have absolutely no sense that having Valkyrie and Carol meet has been a significant fan desire (I've never seen it expressed once).
Sorry I misspoke, I meant swapping locations.

There has been huge chatter online for years now, going back at least since 2019, by fans on a potential meetup and relationship between Valkyrie and Carol. Tessa Thompson was even asked about it during last years media events for Love and Thunder -

TP2000

OK... I hate this.

Really? I kind of liked it. It made it seem more like Superhero Charlie's Angels, which I always thought should have been their angle with this. Although it really seems it's Two Angels and a minor sidekick since that Ms. Marvel character was downplayed quite a bit in this trailer compared to the previous ones. But still, I get Charlie's Angels vibes from this.

Of course, I'm referring to the 1970's TV version of genius Aaron Spelling's Charlie's Angels, and not the 2010's movie remake version that I never saw, but I assume they're close enough. Hello, angels! ;)

I still have no intention of seeing this movie. I rarely go to movies, and I already used my 2023 credit on Barbie this past summer. But I kind of liked that trailer, even if I have no idea what the heck was going on or who was who. But it looked more interesting and compelling than the first few trailers posted here.

It seems Disney is trying a last-minute panicky reboot of this movie for the free market of Marvel fans. They must know something now. It will be interesting to see if it was too little, too late, for this movie and to track its box office run over in the Box Office thread.

Last edited:

Tha Realest

if you thought the trailer was a desperation play, a major studio offering such an aggressive promotion before opening weekend is unprecedented:

1699371568363.png

Casper Gutman

So let's say The Marvels bombs big. The MCUs most appealing active character gets chucked in the trash. Great.

Then what? We know the TV slate and production process is getting revamped, which it needs. What of the films?

Captain America and Thunderbolts are risky in the current environment, but they're as good as in the can. Outside of extensive reshoots which are typical for Marvel - and I have no idea how you correct the current issues in reshoots - you don't have a lot of room to maneuver there. Deadpool 3 will be a hit - that's safe.

Now you're into the period when you have more options. Blade's a production mess, so maybe you kill it, but honestly a simple Blade vs vamps story seems like one of Marvel's surer bets, and it might be a good place to test a back-to-basics approach. The Avengers two-parter comes next. Marvel was almost certainly always going to bring back Downey and Evans here, so you beef up their parts and trust the Avengers label to bring in viewers. Maybe you combine the two films into one to limit your risk if you're really skittish.

Outside of Blade, your biggest question mark is The Fantastic Four. It's a property that's bombed big twice, and while I would have scoffed at that being an impediment to the MCU version a year ago, now I'm not so sure. For sentimental reasons, the MCU feels like it needs the First Family, but at this stage sentiment may not matter, Beyond that, you want Doom in the MCU - is that enough to take the risk?

As I see it, once you get past the two risky features you've already paid for, the MCU gets onto firmer ground and you can reassess post-Avengers plans. The question becomes - what of Blade and FF?

doctornick

Count me among those not impressed with the last trailer. I mean, it seems fine, but just generic fights.

Meanwhile, the location swap and humor of the first trailer had me absolutely psyched for the movie. I will see it regardless, but this last one didn't do anything to sell me on it.

The humor and character interactions in the MCU have always been its strength, not the action scenes.

Ghost93

So let's say The Marvels bombs big. The MCUs most appealing active character gets chucked in the trash. Great.

Then what? We know the TV slate and production process is getting revamped, which it needs. What of the films?

Captain America and Thunderbolts are risky in the current environment, but they're as good as in the can. Outside of extensive reshoots which are typical for Marvel - and I have no idea how you correct the current issues in reshoots - you don't have a lot of room to maneuver there. Deadpool 3 will be a hit - that's safe.

Now you're into the period when you have more options. Blade's a production mess, so maybe you kill it, but honestly a simple Blade vs vamps story seems like one of Marvel's surer bets, and it might be a good place to test a back-to-basics approach. The Avengers two-parter comes next. Marvel was almost certainly always going to bring back Downey and Evans here, so you beef up their parts and trust the Avengers label to bring in viewers. Maybe you combine the two films into one to limit your risk if you're really skittish.

Outside of Blade, your biggest question mark is The Fantastic Four. It's a property that's bombed big twice, and while I would have scoffed at that being an impediment to the MCU version a year ago, now I'm not so sure. For sentimental reasons, the MCU feels like it needs the First Family, but at this stage sentiment may not matter, Beyond that, you want Doom in the MCU - is that enough to take the risk?

As I see it, once you get past the two risky features you've already paid for, the MCU gets onto firmer ground and you can reassess post-Avengers plans. The question becomes - what of Blade and FF?
Thunderbolts is screwed I fear, regardless of quality. Half of the cast is from Black Widow — a movie I liked but most felt was medicore. The remainder of the cast comes from Falcon and the Winter Soldier (a Disney Plus show) and Ghost comes from Ant-man and the Wasp. They need a character with Deadpool levels of popularity to boost the profile of the movie.

Blade could be great, but it seems like more of an adults-only type of character.

I actually do fear things will be very bad for Marvel for quite some time.

Tha Realest

I honestly don’t know the solution. Here’s my view:

The Variety article was informative as it seemed to indicate they’re pausing everything. I think Capn America happens, as does Deadpool 3. I think everything going forward is on iffy ground, incl Thunderbolts. Heck, even the partially filmed Daredevil is being reconfigured mid production.

They’re in a tough pickle. In once sense, the still have a lot of goodwill for the core MCU brand. But it’s been diminished through sheer volume and, to some degree, quality. They’d be foolish doing a hard reset - but they’re also weighed down by needing to remain thematically coherent with 30+ films and a half dozen series.

In a way, they’re in a similar spot DC was before Gunn. Things had languished, but they at least still had a popular Aquaman franchise, a well regarded Wonder Woman, and a script/creator that everyone was excited about in The Flash. We see how that went.

I do think they have a lot of great possibilities with the Fox Marvel stuff. But, shoehorning it into the existing MCU will require a deftness we haven’t seen lately. Also, not for nothing, but there were *some* great parts of the Fox X-Men universe that will be tough to overcome (Stewart, McKellan, Jackman, and Fassbender). The quality was hit and miss, but not all terrible.

I like the rumors that puts the setting of the FF film back in the 60’s - think there’s some First Class/Cruella like possibilities there - but not sure how,again, that exists within the MCU framework.

Vegas Disney Fan

I think Marvel needs to reboot to a simpler story, the multiverse, time travel, alternate dimensions, multiple Kangs, etc is a much more complex storyline than a big baddie who wants to kill half the world.

Someone mentioned “homework” in a comment about the MCU and that feels accurate, it’s so complex and there’s so many stories you have to do your homework just to keep up with everything that’s happening and who all the characters are, a movie series shouldn’t be so complicated you feel like it’s homework.

We love the Loki series on D+ but even that’s starting to feel like a chore, it’s so confusing with all the time and space jumping that we find ourselves talking more about what confused us after each episode than what we liked about the episode. Hoping there’s a massive payoff in the finale because it’s our favorite D+ show but even it’s starting to lose our attention.

Last edited:

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I think Marvel needs to reboot to a simpler story, the multiverse, time travel, alternate dimensions, multiple Kangs, etc is a much more complex storyline than a big baddie who wants to kill half the world.

Someone mentioned “homework” in a comment about the MCU and that feels accurate, it’s so complex and there’s so many stories you have to do your homework just to keep up with everything that’s happening and who all the characters are, a movie series shouldn’t be so complicated you feel like it’s homework.

We love the Loki series on D+ but even that’s starting to feel like a chore, it’s so confusing with all the time and space jumping that we find ourselves talking more about what confused us after each episode than what we liked about the episode. Hoping there’s a massive payoff in the finale because it’s our favorite D+ show but even it’s starting to lose our attention.
I understand how some can feel like its "homework", but its been baked into the pie since the beginning. You could always come into the MCU at any point but you always felt like you might have missed something if you didn't go back and watch what came before. So I don't really see it all that different today. Yes there is more of it, but its still the same basic pie as before.

So a "reboot" isn't really what it needs, though after Secret Wars we were always getting a sort of "reboot" anyways. I think they really just need to slow down how much is released so people can catch-up and digest. Its going to upset some of the hardcore fans like myself who always want more and quicker, but it'll get the general fan back on-board, and we'll get over it. And that appears to be exactly what they are doing.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom