Captain Marvel 2: "The Marvels" -- Nov 10, 2023 Theatrical Release

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Did they not do any critic pre-screenings for this?

Seems odd it opens in less than a week and there hasn’t been a single critic review yet.
Critics screenings can happen anywhere from weeks before to same week as premiere. Its not odd at all for there to be no critic reviews if the screenings haven't happened yet, that would be expected.

For The Marvels the critics screenings are tomorrow I believe, with the review embargo lifting on Wednesday.

erasure fan1

1. The story doesn't seem that great from what I have read.
2. Public interest in Marvel is low right now.
3. I am not sure there is actually a target audience for this movie.
And number 4, a director can have a major influence, good or bad, on how a film turns out.

Hiring someone who had no blockbuster big budget movie experience didn't do the eternals any favors.

Casper Gutman

And number 4, a director can have a major influence, good or bad, on how a film turns out.

Hiring someone who had no blockbuster big budget movie experience didn't do the eternals any favors.
Mark Webb, Destin Daniel Cretton, Taika Waititi, Cate Shortland, Anne Biden and Ryan Fleck, James Gunn, the Russo Brothers, etc. THIS IS WHAT MARVEL HAS DONE SINCE 2013. In fact, DeCosta has one of the more high-profile major studio pre-MCU films, Candyman, of any of Marvel’s directors.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I think the idea that only well known established directors can handle big budget franchises is silly. How does one get big budget experience if not by being hired on a big budget franchise in the first place.

Sometimes it works out and sometimes it doesn't, the same can be said for any director established or not.

Tha Realest

Mark Webb, Destin Daniel Cretton, Taika Waititi, Cate Shortland, Anne Biden and Ryan Fleck, James Gunn, the Russo Brothers, etc. THIS IS WHAT MARVEL HAS DONE SINCE 2013. In fact, DeCosta has one of the more high-profile major studio pre-MCU films, Candyman, of any of Marvel’s directors.
When they were chosen/announced, as the OP posted,

-Webb had helmed the $7.5M budgeted 500 Days of Summer.
-Cretton had helmed the $25M budgeted Just Mercy.
-Waititi had helmed What We Do in the Shadows and Wilderpeople, both $1M+ budgets
-Boden (sic) / Fleck had helmed the $7.1M budgeted Mississippi Grind and the $8M budgeted It’s Kind of a Funny Story
-Gunn had helmed the $2.5M budgeted Super, the $15M budgeted Slither, and was a writer on other high budget productions
-The Russos had directed Welcome to Collinwood ($8-12M budget) and You, Me, and Dupree ($54M budget)

Casper Gutman

When they were chosen/announced, as the OP posted,

-Webb had helmed the $7.5M budgeted 500 Days of Summer.
-Cretton had helmed the $25M budgeted Just Mercy.
-Waititi had helmed What We Do in the Shadows and Wilderpeople, both $1M+ budgets
-Boden (sic) / Fleck had helmed the $7.1M budgeted Mississippi Grind and the $8M budgeted It’s Kind of a Funny Story
-Gunn had helmed the $2.5M budgeted Super, the $15M budgeted Slither, and was a writer on other high budget productions
-The Russos had directed Welcome to Collinwood ($8-12M budget) and You, Me, and Dupree ($54M budget)
Yes. Low budget films that were well received but made relatively little impact. I sincerely doubt you’d heard of most of them, let alone seen them.

DeCosta made an extremely well-received low budget film with several prominent stars and followed that up with a $25 million budget franchise film, which gives her more experience then many on that list.

You’re struggling to make an arbitrary distinction to support an invalid point.

Tha Realest

Yes. Low budget films that were well received but made relatively little impact. I sincerely doubt you’d heard of most of them, let alone seen them.

DeCosta made an extremely well-received low budget film with several prominent stars and followed that up with a $25 million budget franchise film, which gives her more experience then many on that list.

You’re struggling to make an arbitrary distinction to support an invalid point.
I had watched over half of them before the directors were announced to be helming Marvel projects.

I’m not struggling to make any arbitrary distinction. The OP said it seemed odd to entrust this project to someone who, at the time they were announced, hadn’t had a project with a budget more than a million.

You then suggested those other directors had similar experience. Most of those films I listed had wide theatrical releases and were not micro-budgeted as compared to Little Woods.

Last edited by a moderator:

DKampy

Pretty well, but then they had real budgets in the tens of millions before taking on that challenge
So you are telling me you watched you me and Dupree and thought those guys are the ones for Captain America Civil War?…. It’s funny for my money the only good movies they have done are the ones they did for Marvel… most of their output before and since has been mid to awful

IMO… Marvel’s purpose was to get directors early in their career as to be able to control them so they would follow the narrative that Kevin Feige sets forth…It’s were Star Wars went wrong… they hired establish directors to put their own spin on the movies which ultimately felt like there was no direction… I am a huge Rian Johnson fan and I liked The Last Jedi…as I could see his version of a Star Wars movie, but he is not someone you hire if you expect him to follow an outline

erasure fan1

Ok? You asked why it would flop in anyone's hands. The director can have an impact. Eternals was bad, and the director had a lot to do with that in my opinion. Tony Gilroy did great with rogue one and he admitted not liking star wars or caring in the least for it. A director can have a direct impact on the final product. Might be good, might be bad.
And how did the Russo Brothers and James Gunn Fare?
They would fall on the good side of the spectrum I mentioned.

Casper Gutman

I had watched over half of them before the directors were announced to be helming Marvel projects.

I’m not struggling to make any arbitrary distinction. The OP said it seemed odd to entrust this project to someone who, at the time they were announced, hadn’t had a project with a budget more than a million.

You then suggested those other directors had similar experience. Most of those films I listed had wide theatrical releases and were not micro-budgeted as compared to Little Woods.
When DaCosta was hired, she had finished filming a higher profile $25 million franchise film.

Vegas Disney Fan

The final trailer for The Marvels has been released.

They should have started with that one, it actually makes it look like a superhero movie rather than a goofy comedy.

Likely too little too late at this point though, word of mouth is going to make or break this movie, not a good last minute commercial.

Ghost93

They should have started with that one, it actually makes it look like a superhero movie rather than a goofy comedy.

Likely too little too late at this point though, word of mouth is going to make or break this movie, not a good last minute commercial.
But the movie might be a goofy comedy. Who knows. All I know is that this new trailer is selling an entirely different movie than the previous trailers, which makes me think that Disney/Marvel doesn't know how to sell this movie.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom