Captain Marvel 2: "The Marvels" -- Nov 10, 2023 Theatrical Release

TP2000

I've always assumed country/state/city gave subsidies and tax breaks to movie productions because those productions bring in lots of money (local jobs, hotel rooms, food, supplies, tourism, etc.). Is that not the case?

They tend to, but some are better at it than others. But currently the United Kingdom can't provide dental care to its citizens because the NHS can't afford to pay dentist's enough.

If I was a taxpayer and citizen there I would have to pause a moment to wonder if that $50 Million subsidy to the Walt Disney Company might not have been put to better use employing 100 new dentists and clearing the long backlog of people waiting for dental care from the NHS.

The problems of socialized medicine and the troubled state of UK dental care aside, The Marvels will still need roughly $600 Million at the global box office to break even. And something higher than $600 Million to, dare we dream it, make a profit.

TP2000

Yeah, it’s so weird how a major company isn’t interested in using the shady practices that were used to amplify the story of a sexual abuser.

Journey To Bethlehem is doing the gift-a-ticket gimmick, and Journey To Bethlehem was produced and distributed by Sony.

Sony is a major company, and they don't have a problem with the gift-a-ticket thing. I think Disney is missing out on this with at least their family films. Disney certainly needs all the box office revenue they can get these days, so why not?

Tha Realest

Yeah, it’s so weird how a major company isn’t interested in using the shady practices that were used to amplify the story of a sexual abuser.
TWDC owned Miramax (and Harvey Weinstein) for the better part of two decades, so that’s not a deal breaker for them

TP2000

TWDC owned Miramax (and Harvey Weinstein) for the better part of two decades, so that’s not a deal breaker for them

Good point. Harvey Weinstein is the gift that will keep on giving for years.

Anytime someone tries to claim the movie industry (of all things!) has the moral high ground on anything, you can just point to all the work that particular studio and/or executive once did for Harvey Weinstein when everyone knew exactly what he was doing and what all the rumors for many years said he had already done. :eek:

Bob-Iger-Harvey-Weinstein.jpg

_caleb

Are pre-sales a good indicator of a film’s success? I know the thinking is that if there’s a lot of demand, audiences will pre-order tickets. But most people I know pre-order on their way to the theater.

TP2000

“Presales for The Marvels are pacing behind that of Black Adam and The Flash (those respective openings at $67M and $55M).”
Are pre-sales a good indicator of a film’s success? I know the thinking is that if there’s a lot of demand, audiences will pre-order tickets. But most people I know pre-order on their way to the theater.

I imagine as with anything financial nowadays, its an algorithm and formula. They know 23% of people pre-order their tickets for superhero movies (vs. 19% for romcoms, or 26% dramas, etc.) and then go from there with an estimate.

Here's how that looks for The Marvels based on those previous two flops; where Black Adam lost about $130 Million and The Flash lost about $165 Million. The Marvels needs roughly $600 Million at the global box office to break even.

African American Adam.jpg

Tha Realest

I imagine as with anything financial nowadays, its an algorithm and formula. They know 23% of people pre-order their tickets for superhero movies (vs. 19% for romcoms, or 26% dramas, etc.) and then go from there with an estimate.

Here's how that looks for The Marvels based on those previous two flops; where Black Adam lost about $130 Million and The Flash lost about $165 Million. The Marvels needs roughly $600 Million at the global box office to break even.

View attachment 752601
Yes presales are a decent barometer to gauge demand. Some are estimating the presales for the Thursday previews are lagging behind Morbius. I think it’ll make more opening weekend than that , but a worrisome sign nonetheless.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
How the heck is someone who made one low budget indie movie suppost to understand how to make a huge blockbuster movie? Why does Disney keep giving this kind of responsibility to people with no experience?

In the sports world..it’s essentially Jerry Jones making himself the gm of the Cowboys…then hiring one idiot coach after another to feel “smart”…

…it results in losing 🤠

_caleb

I don't think it's fair to describe Disney executives, even the ones I disagree with, as dumb people. Selling art as entertainment to fickle, distracted, and polarized audiences in rapidly changing times is difficult. Risking your reputation and hundreds of millions of dollars to do it would be stressful. And they have access to data we'll never see. So maybe we could just stay civil despite creative differences?

TP2000

So maybe we could just stay civil despite creative differences?

Has someone here lately been uncivil? I'd hate to think any of us regulars were uncivil.

Or, better question, what did I miss where someone was uncivil before it was deleted by forum staff? 🤔

Casper Gutman

Just recapping, Disney hired a 30 year old whose previous experience at the time was a $1M budgeted indie film to direct a $275M tentpole Marvel film for global audiences.

Will be interesting to see how that works out for them.
Just recapping, it’s been pointed out to you that this is part of Marvels method, something they have done over and over, because of the collaborative method of MCU filmmaking. Mark Webb, Destin Daniel Cretton, Taika Waititi, Cate Shortland, Anne Biden and Ryan Fleck, James Gunn, the Russo Brothers, etc. This is a demonstrable, well known fact, yet you ignore it, refuse to acknowledge other posters that have told you this.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Just recapping, Disney hired a 30 year old whose previous experience at the time was a $1M budgeted indie film to direct a $275M tentpole Marvel film for global audiences.

Will be interesting to see how that works out for them.
I am not blaming her if it flops...and I expect it to. Seems this project would flop in the hands of anyone...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom