Captain Marvel 2: "The Marvels" -- Nov 10, 2023 Theatrical Release

Disstevefan1

How did that all work out for them?
Aiming most of your content at small percentages of the population that may not even want your content in the first place while ignoring the core audience is not good business.
Just my opinion, diversity is the number one requirement, they are implementing it, and it sure looks like the company is happy with what they are doing and actually making money would be nice to have but it seems making money is secondary to the company.

I think NEW STORIES like Wish, will work.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
How did that all work out for them?
Aiming most of your content at small percentages of the population that may not even want your content in the first place while ignoring the core audience is not good business.
That’s the balance of DEI…make progress without causing an “anti-productive”‘backlash…

I can think of a great political
Example that’s still TBD…but I’m not going there.

Minority focused stories/characters are lacking….but that is still a fraction of the actual (western world) audience

What’s worse is they can’t get women in the mainstream…and that’s a dead split. Part of it - cringe - is in fact nature…but that doesn’t cover the disparity.
Disney has tried to bust the door down…and that wasn’t gonna work…however.

This marvels movie is inline to brutally tank…and there’s gonna be a ton of scapegoating. Unfortunate.

Last edited:

Tha Realest

This marvels movie is inline to brutally tank…and there’s gonna be a ton of scapegoating. Unfortunate.
it’s already started. That little tidbit about DiCosta leaving post-production months ago wasn’t a random non-sequitur.

The Marvel brain trust (as reflected in the Variety article) has already telegraphed that its course correcting. Unfortunately, Gunn is done (for now) and Taika’s act has worn thin.

Disstevefan1

Disney has tried to bust the door down…and that wasn’t gonna work…however.
To the outside it may look like its not working. It depends on what the company considers a success on the inside.

As long as they have money coming in from the theme parks (mostly WDW) they will keep doing what they are doing.

I do think Wish will be a success. Not sure about the Marvels. We are not going to the theater to see it, depending on what the family wants we will wither pay to see it on streaming or wait for it to be "free" on D+

Casper Gutman

To be fair to TWDC diversity is a REQUIREMENT and MUST be done. This was not a matter of choice and within the company they are happy and its really mission accomplished. And it will continue. The money CANT matter and it doesn't to TWDC.

Just my opinion, but the best way to do it is to MAKE NEW STORIES like Wish which will be a blockbuster hit.
I love the idea that “diversity” being a “requirement” is the height of evil. Hey, why can’t you meanies just leave us alone to exclude anyone who isn’t a straight white male?!?!

Of course, all this is obvious garbage (Disney doesn’t care about money, guys!) As it specifically pertains to the MCU, the younger, diverse heroes are what the studio had left to expand the universe beyond the original Avengers. The wonderful pantheon Lee and Kirby created appealed to and inspired a diverse group of young creators, and waddaya know, when they started writing comics they created heroes who looked like them.

But hey, now MCU has the X-Men. No issues with diversity or politically explosive issues there. Surely they’ll slip right past the culture warriors.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
To the outside it may look like its not working. It depends on what the company considers a success on the inside.

As long as they have money coming in from the theme parks (mostly WDW) they will keep doing what they are doing.

I do think Wish will be a success. Not sure about the Marvels. We are not going to the theater to see it, depending on what the family wants we will wither pay to see it on streaming or wait for it to be "free" on D+

It’s not working on the ledger…and that’s what matters in this point in time…

I’ll say it again: Bob Iger is in TROUBLE. Without his shill board he’d be fired now.

Longterm? I agree they will likely reap more reward from the strategy. Bob won’t be around to see it

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
it’s already started. That little tidbit about DiCosta leaving post-production months ago wasn’t a random non-sequitur.

The Marvel brain trust (as reflected in the Variety article) has already telegraphed that its course correcting. Unfortunately, Gunn is done (for now) and Taika’s act has worn thin.
Taiki of the Johnson mold to Me…

Disney: “he’s great! Get ready for 8 movies in three different franchises!”

Audience: “pass”

erasure fan1

I love the idea that “diversity” being a “requirement” is the height of evil. Hey, why can’t you meanies just leave us alone to exclude anyone who isn’t a straight white male?!?!
That's not what people are saying. People aren't against diversity, you just want to see it that way.
the first 10 years of the MCU, every movie had a straight white male as the lead. It took until Black Panther in 2018 to have a person of color as a lead and Captain Marvel in 2019 to have a female lead.
And that is a big part of the issue. Black widow should have received her own movie well before captain marvel. The MCU did a brilliant job of bringing in characters that weren't what you would call crazy popular, and got people to like them. The mistake that's made is swinging the pendulum to the complete other side. Very little of what they did felt organic because like you pointed out, it was such a hard switch. It was like the Grinch becoming the holiday cheermeister. Too much too soon! Lol. Everyone isn't a bunch of anti-diversity bullies like some here like to make it out to be. It's just like the star wars discussion, everyone hates rey, finn and rose because ANTI DIVERSITY!!!. But have no problems with Jyn, cara, baze, greef and lando?

Casper Gutman

That's not what people are saying. People aren't against diversity, you just want to see it that way.

And that is a big part of the issue. Black widow should have received her own movie well before captain marvel. The MCU did a brilliant job of bringing in characters that weren't what you would call crazy popular, and got people to like them. The mistake that's made is swinging the pendulum to the complete other side. Very little of what they did felt organic because like you pointed out, it was such a hard switch. It was like the Grinch becoming the holiday cheermeister. Too much too soon! Lol. Everyone isn't a bunch of anti-diversity bullies like some here like to make it out to be. It's just like the star wars discussion, everyone hates rey, finn and rose because ANTI DIVERSITY!!!. But have no problems with Jyn, cara, baze, greef and lando?
Since Endgame, we’ve gotten ten MCU films. Six have had white male protagonists. So the “hard swing” to diversity consists of Black Widow (which we’re told is not an issue), Shang-Chi, Eternals, and Black Panther. Those are the films that the culture warriors feel mark too much diversity. Too much too soon! Why, out of 32 films, two have had female leads! And four non-white leads! SLOW DOWN!!!

As to the idea that the reaction against the new Star Wars characters wasn’t largely motivated by race and gender, I’d urge you to actually read what people said. Look, I get that many people didn’t like the new SW series for perfectly legitimate reasons and don’t want to acknowledge that that puts them on the same side of an issue as some truly awful people. It doesn’t make the legitimate critics awful too. Where a problem arises is when folks with legitimate criticisms feel the need to ignore and whitewash the awful people, gaslighting by pretending they don’t exist in significant numbers. Then the legitimate critics start doing the work of the awful people.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

Some trolls have hinted at it around these parts…
…but most of us don’t say/believe that all.

I’m against character swapping. It’s lazy and a shortcut to profits on Disney part.

You want strong DEI characters? Develop them!
If they’re good…I’ll keep lining up and buying…especially for my next generation when it hopefully arrives…

Don’t swap costumes or stick them in the desert with a laser sword and think I won’t notice.

Start from scratch and tell the story…or compliment what’s beloved.

That’s the Disney way

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Since Endgame, we’ve gotten ten MCU films. Six have had white male protagonists. So the “hard swing” to diversity consists of Black Widow (which we’re told is not an issue), Shang-Chi, Eternals, and Black Panther. Those are the films that the culture warriors feel mark too much diversity. Too much too soon! Why, out of 32 films, two have had female leads! And four non-white leads! SLOW DOWN!!!

As to the idea that the reaction against the new Star Wars characters wasn’t largely motivated by race and gender, I’d urge you to actually read what people said. Look, I get that many people didn’t like the new SW series for perfectly legitimate reasons and don’t want to acknowledge that that puts them on the same side of an issue as some truly awful people. It doesn’t make the legitimate critics awful too. Where a problem arises is when folks with legitimate criticisms feel the need to ignore and whitewash the awful people, gaslighting by pretending they don’t exist in significant numbers. Then the legitimate critics start doing the work of the awful people.

You’re just shouting the same crap
Over and over again and have since little mermaid tanked…

Maybe it’s just not interesting to most because they’re making bland remakes and sequels that make no sense from a story perspective?

Nah…can’t be that from the Wizard of Bob,
Can it?

Casper Gutman

Some trolls have hinted at it around these parts…
…but most of us don’t say/believe that all.

I’m against character swapping. It’s lazy and a shortcut to profits on Disney part.

You want strong DEI characters? Develop them!
If they’re good…I’ll keep lining up and buying…especially for my next generation when it hopefully arrives…

Don’t swap costumes or stick them in the desert with a laser sword and think I won’t notice.

Start from scratch and tell the story…or compliment what’s beloved.

That’s the Disney way
What character was “swapped” other than Little Mermaid? Captain America isn’t a “swap,” it’s a legacy being passed from one well-established character to another, something that is absolutely inevitable in a film series telling one continuous story across decades and dozens of films.

Casper Gutman

You’re just shouting the same crap
Over and over again and have since little mermaid tanked…

Maybe it’s just not interesting to most because they’re making bland remakes and sequels that make no sense from a story perspective?

Nah…can’t be that from the Wizard of Bob,
Can it?
Dude, all you do is post the same contentless garbage over and over and over in every thread. You aren’t even acknowledging what I said in the post, part of a pattern with you. Posters on these boards have given you the benefit of the doubt over and over and over, but at some point you just become a troll.

lazyboy97o

At some point when it looks like a duck, sounds like a duck, swims like a duck, has genetic testing that confirms it’s a ducks you have to acknowledge that it is a duck. It’s not just a random coincidence that so many of the same grievances align and get repeated.

Phroobar

Just my opinion, diversity is the number one requirement, they are implementing it, and it sure looks like the company is happy with what they are doing and actually making money would be nice to have but it seems making money is secondary to the company.

I think NEW STORIES like Wish, will work.
There number one requirement should be a great story not checking off pc boxes. The number two is making money. Both of which they have failed with. Trust me, they are not happy with not making money. A movie is a like building an ocean liner. It takes years and you can't just stop and reverse course when that course is bankrupting you.

Last edited:

Phroobar

It must be nice to have slush fund of theme park revenue supported by addicted Disney addicts to support movies no one pays to see. Universal, on the other hand, has both movies AND theme parks that make money.

Disstevefan1

There number one requirement should be a great story not checking off boxes. The number two is making money. Both of which they have failed with. Trust me, they are not happy with not making money but a movie is a like building an ocean liner. It takes years and you can't just stop and reverse course when that course is bankrupting you.
YOU ARE RIGHT, but for TWDC checking boxes is first, story does not matter (see checking off boxes), and money does not matter when it comes to making movies.

When it comes to theme parks, for TWDC, ITS ALL ABOUT THE MONEY!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom