Captain Marvel 2: "The Marvels" -- Nov 10, 2023 Theatrical Release

TP2000

Yup. And will open at $60M or less and be the lowest opening in Marvel history.

The opening of these micro budget films just adds to their humiliation.

But everything is fine….

I just caught up on what the Freddy's movie is and why its so popular (video game fans) over in the Box Office thread. But your point is really valid.

Freddy's is heading to a greater than $75 Million opening weekend off of a small $25 Million budget.

The Marvels is heading to a less than $75 Million opening weekend off of a massive $270 Million production budget.

Which would make it the 10th or 11th movie released this year by Disney to lose money at the box office, if not outright flop. Who is in charge of these decisions at Disney and who will be replacing them so these decisions stop being made?

I'm personally rooting for the Marvels to be good, but I don't have much confidence in it at this moment. It doesn't look like a must-see event. It looks like Freaky Friday set in space, with all the body swapping.

I remember loving Freaky Friday, one of the rare movies of that Ron Miller era that I actually enjoyed. But that's still a great line, and I thank you for the laugh! 🤣

Miss Rori

I just get the sense that, especially with the song previews and merchandise being rolled out already for it and the special advance preview day planned, Disney's trying to cut their losses (admittedly big losses) on The Marvels in favor of Wish being their big holiday season title that will make "everyone" love Disney again, perhaps even hoping Wish can last into next spring the way Frozen did now that they've moved a bunch of stuff out of 2024.

Miss Rori

I don't think it's odd (Goose was apparently a fave part of the first movie for many folks), just desperate. Like they're out to encourage the meme crowd.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
The latest trailer makes the movie look interesting instead of some silly girl-power throwaway as previous trailers did. Some of Disney’s trailer and PR decisions lately have been head-scratching, and not in a good way. This latest trailer is not one of those.

Indy_UK

All Marvel probably needed to do was have a long break after End game like they are currently doing with Star Wars

Maybe do the TV shows but ones that fill in Gaps from the first 20 films

I’m going to say it was more Disney than Marvel but they’ve obviously made too much too quickly and the quality has plummeted.

GCI from the 2nd pirates movies look better than what Marvels currently producing.

The hardcore fans will lap it up but I feel the mass market who makes the money have been left behind and lost interest

Phroobar

I just caught up on what the Freddy's movie is and why its so popular (video game fans) over in the Box Office thread. But your point is really valid.

Freddy's is heading to a greater than $75 Million opening weekend off of a small $25 Million budget.

The Marvels is heading to a less than $75 Million opening weekend off of a massive $270 Million production budget.

Which would make it the 10th or 11th movie released this year by Disney to lose money at the box office, if not outright flop. Who is in charge of these decisions at Disney and who will be replacing them so these decisions stop being made?

I remember loving Freaky Friday, one of the rare movies of that Ron Miller era that I actually enjoyed. But that's still a great line, and I thank you for the laugh! 🤣
Latest shows Five Nights at Freddy's made $130,578,000 world wide theatrically even with streaming on Peacock. It had the biggest opening ever on Peacock and is described as a "subscribers driving event".

Disney needs to steal whoever is running things at Universal.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster
Latest shows Five Nights at Freddy's made $130,578,000 world wide theatrically even with streaming on Peacock. It had the biggest opening ever on Peacock and is described as a "subscribers driving event".

Disney needs to steal whoever is running things at Universal.

D+ has had quite a few "subscribing driving events." It's how they caught up to Netflix.

Other studios are doing what Disney does... leverage a popular IP. Barbie, Mario, FNAF already had a huge fanbase. So, it should stand to reason that those movies should do well (sometimes, they're just poorly made and don't do well).

Studios are also doubling down on their own popular franchises (Transformers, Minions, Turtles, Godzilla, FastF, etc...) to mixed success.

All the things they learned from Disney.

Tha Realest

Cool to see a lot of you here are on board with the marketing efforts. Let’s take that one off the board as an excuse if/when this film fails to meet expectations or doesn’t turn a profit.

Disstevefan1

Cool to see a lot of you here are on board with the marketing efforts. Let’s take that one off the board as an excuse if/when this film fails to meet expectations or doesn’t turn a profit.
Well, I heard they are taking marketing money away from the Marvels and using it on Wish.

So the "lack of marketing" excuse is locked and loaded ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom