Captain Marvel 2: "The Marvels" -- Nov 10, 2023 Theatrical Release

TP2000

Bizarre… people are waiting till The Marvels is released to watch… come on give it a chance…😉

I think that was a typo from @EPCOT-O.G.

I could be wrong, but I think he meant to say "but then again hardly anyone appears to have watched Ms. Marvel".

Which is true.

DKampy

I think that was a typo from @EPCOT-O.G.

I could be wrong, but I think he meant to say "but then again hardly anyone appears to have watched Ms. Marvel".

Which is true.

I thought the wink was a clue I knew it was a typo… shrug

But I guess any excuse to bash Disney
… by the way it is a shame more people did not watch Ms Marvel it is wonderful… that along with Wandavision are my 2 fav Disney Marvel shows… so far it looks like Loki season 2 could join those… this season is immensely entertaining for me

Last edited:

Tha Realest

The Marvels tracking has been dropping…

1698275085145.png

…and let’s not act like FNAF is Mario, Halo, Zelda, Pokémon, COD, Fortnite, etc. It is a niche game that has had virtually none of the cultural penetration of other video game IPs. It’s not like it’s the next in a series of a wildly popular franchise.

Ripken10

In what would be an incomprehensible disaster for Disney, the current estimate for Freddy's opening weekend (again, available on TV at home for no incremental charge on Peacock) is higher ($78M) than the high end range for The Marvels ($75M).

Obviously, just forecasts based on current tracking, but anything even remotely close to those results will be humiliating for a film that cost several times more, even before its gargantuan domestic marketing campaign.

I think it's worth noting, since you are using this article to compare, that boxofficepro even says just 4-5 days ago Five nights at Freddy's was looking at a 40-50 million dollar opening, which is below where The Marvels stands now (so comparing apples to apples, you would need to compare them at the same point in the cycle. So The Marvels at the same point in the cycle is running 25-40% ahead of Five nights at Freddy's). Now will The Marvels see the same increase as Five Nights at Freddy's has seen in the week leading up to release, I would doubt that, as IMO horror movies see this happen more often than superhero movies (a jump in expectations leading up to release), but it has happened for super hero movies too, so we just don't know. I think what the box office has taught us in the last year or two, is the movies that really pop at the box office most often do see these gains in the last week much moreso then they did in the past. Fewer movies have been able to find this success, and it almost feels like the kind of thing where everybody wants to jump on the bandwagon and see this movie that suddenly everybody is talking about.

My point, if The Marvels saw the same jump in the final week that Five NIghts at Freddy's is currently getting from expections, then we would be looking at a movie making over 100 million. I am not saying that is what is going to happen, just pointing out this comparison you are so proud to find isn't really comparing apples to apples.

Casper Gutman

The Marvels tracking has been dropping…

View attachment 750850

…and let’s not act like FNAF is Mario, Halo, Zelda, Pokémon, COD, Fortnite, etc. It is a niche game that has had virtually none of the cultural penetration of other video game IPs. It’s not like it’s the next in a series of a wildly popular franchise.
Five Nights isn’t Mario, but it is absolutely a phenomenon on the level of a COD or Zelda. It essentially launched and sustained an entire genre of YouTube videos/ twitch streams and has spawned large numbers of similar games. Just because it hasn’t really permeated the generations you (or I) are part of doesn’t mean it isn’t a juggernaut.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster
Pshaw. You can’t believe those projections - they’re so unreliable. Unlike the ones that promise D+ is about to be profitable…take those to the bank!
Another example of someone so eager to score points against disney that they embarrass themselves.

Disney's own forcast has always been profitability in 2024.

Is 2024 over yet?

Tha Realest

So what do posters here think the 11 or 12 low-budget horror films Disney releases next year should be? Should they start making Winnine the Pooh slashers themselves? I mean, the overwhelming sentiment is that Disney should become Blumhouse (not A24, since they just announced they’re moving into bigger budget franchise filmmaking). I’m curious - how does that model sustain the parks? The distribution outlets? The merch streams? Or do we just cut all those?
None, as evidenced by their recent experience with A Haunting in Venice.

DKampy

Five Nights at Freddy’s will open well thanks to the game phenom and thanks to the fans that have been wanting this movie, but it is the definition of a cash grab…all signs are pointing to it being a disappointmemt….they make it for cheap and hope to trick people into seeing it opening night..Universal was originally going to hold the review embargo until the day after the movie was out….they changed it to the day of a couple of days ago…they have it day and date on peacock knowing it will drop like a rock in it’s 2nd week

Last edited:

Disney Irish

Premium Member
“Disney disclosed in its company filings that the upcoming Marvel superhero movie actually cost $270 million.

It has been understood for some time now that its real budget is ~$219M due to subsidy received from UK during filming. It even mentions that in the article you posted -

"Even with the $55 million subsidy The Marvels received from the UK government, the budget for the upcoming MCU entry still comes in at a hefty $219.8 million. According to Forbes, this means that The Marvels will have to gross at least $439.6 million at the box office to break even as studios only get roughly half of theater takings."

Tha Realest

I thought we were told just yesterday in this thread that box office projections for The Marvels were on an upward trajectory?

But... it's been revised down by 9% this week. I will need to go readjust the forecasts further downward in the Box Office thread.
Approaching $80M we were told.

MoonRakerSCM

I read an interesting take this morning about a supposed cameo at the end of the film... and people on social media proclaiming it's offensive to suddenly be excited for the film because of it. See, it is offensive to the leading ladies to be excited for the cameo vs. them. So I guess... don't see it??

TP2000

I read an interesting take this morning about a supposed cameo at the end of the film... and people on social media proclaiming it's offensive to suddenly be excited for the film because of it. See, it is offensive to the leading ladies to be excited for the cameo vs. them. So I guess... don't see it??

So I take it the cameo is some famous male superhero? And so 2023 logic is thus;
  • If you don't see the film because the characters/plot don't interest you, you are bad.
  • If you do see the film because there's a cameo unrelated to the main characters/plot, you are bad.
It seems to me it would be a better business strategy to just make movies the audience wants to see with characters and plots that naturally interest them enough to buy a ticket. But maybe that's too simple for Disney to do now?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom