Captain Marvel 2: "The Marvels" -- Nov 10, 2023 Theatrical Release

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
But on what shows would Miss Velani be hyping this movie on? The Tonight Show? Jimmy Kimmel? Stephen Colbert?

Almost no one in the USA is watching those shows anymore. Johnny Carson has been dead for decades. Letterman and Leno have been off the air for years and years now. Who still watches those shows? In a nation of 338 Million people?

Nielsen Ratings Week Ending October 14th, 2023

Fox News Gutfeld!
= 2,062,000 or 0.6% of the US population
CBS The Late Show with Stephen Colbert = 1,984,000 or 0.6% of the US population
ABC Jimmy Kimmel Live! = 1,652,000 or 0.5% of the US population
NBC The Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon = 1,329,000 or 0.4% of the US population

All of those four shows combined equal 2.1% of the total US population. Um... that's 2% of Americans, gang. A tiny amount.

Youtube of course!

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Personally, I hope it does well in spite of one of the actors seeking validation for her views of the world. She was a child actor, cut her some slack as most of them come out very weird at best getting trotted out to say something, look cute, then "back into the pen and be quiet".

DKampy

I just looked, and there are indeed some new articles and projections out there today. The Marvels is now tracking towards a projected opening weekend of only $75 Million domestically. Ouch.

"We’re told The Marvels is well below the top performing MCU titles among men under 35 and much closer to Ant-Man in the demo."

If The Marvels only does the same box office as Ant-Man '23, it will lose roughly $75 Million at the box office.

But if The Marvels only does 75% of the box office as Ant-Man '23, it will lose roughly $125 Million at the box office.

View attachment 749892
I don’t think 75 million is the worse figure in the world especially for this time of year…. There is usually a couple of films that show their legs during the holidays as families are looking for activities to do together… people are way to reliant on Marvel of old… I think it will depend on word of mouth…earlier this year Antman had poor WOM and Guardians had great WOM and their box office reflects that

Tha Realest

I don’t think 75 million is the worse figure in the world especially for this time of year…. There is usually a couple of films that show their legs during the holidays as families are looking for activities to do together… people are way to reliant on Marvel of old… I think it will depend on word of mouth…earlier this year Antman had poor WOM and Guardians had great WOM and their box office reflects that
Disneys going to step on their own box office like two weeks later with WISH though

Tha Realest

Personally, I hope it does well in spite of one of the actors seeking validation for her views of the world. She was a child actor, cut her some slack as most of them come out very weird at best getting trotted out to say something, look cute, then "back into the pen and be quiet".
Which actor was seeking validation on this film?

Vegas Disney Fan

But on what shows would Miss Velani be hyping this movie on? The Tonight Show? Jimmy Kimmel? Stephen Colbert?

Almost no one in the USA is watching those shows anymore.

One of the million dollar questions…counting on the late night talk shows and morning news shows for advertising to the masses is largely a thing of the past.

Nope, I don't watch TV (just hockey games on ESPN+ and old shows streaming), and I don't go to the movies much. Guess I'm too out of the loop at this point, I don't think I've had any ads pop up on Facebook or Youtube. Guess I'm an outlier, which isn't great news for their presales either.

If you’re an outlier I am too because that describes me also. I’ve seen a few The Marvels ads on YouTube and a couple on Hulu though.

Disneys going to step on their own box office like two weeks later with WISH though

They seem to be pushing this much more aggressively, to my viewing algorithms at least, I’ve seen at least a dozen ads for Wish compared to 3 or 4 for The Marvels.

TP2000

I don’t think 75 million is the worse figure in the world especially for this time of year.

Unless you spent $225 Million-ish on the production budget and thus need to get to $600+ Million globally to break even.

In that financial scenario, an opening weekend of $75 Million domestically is not good news.

And it makes you question why they spent $225 Million on that movie in the first place. Who's in charge?

TP2000

One of the million dollar questions…counting on the late night talk shows and morning news shows for advertising to the masses is largely a thing of the past.

It's a marketing strategy circa 1985. And it's not going to work in 2023.

So who cares if the actors and actresses can't go on TV shows that less than 3% of Americans combined still watch any more?

They seem to be pushing this much more aggressively, to my viewing algorithms at least, I’ve seen at least a dozen ads for Wish compared to 3 or 4 for The Marvels.

I'm glad you said that. I've been getting non-stop YouTube ads for The Marvels for the past week, and now also Wish for the past 2 days. And I'm an older gentleman who never watches family YouTube shows, with an established algorithm full of European cuisine cooking shows, Winston Churchill war documentaries, and Naval warfare fan videos. With an occasional musical selection from Lesley Gore, The Supremes or Dusty Springfield.

My years of YouTube viewing establish clearly that I am not in the "Teenage Boys/College Guys" or "Young Suburban Family With Children" demographic that The Marvels and Wish would cater to. But suddenly, for the past week, Disney has been paying YouTube to market those two movies to me heavily. Maybe there's a young couple with Disney-fan children somewhere who are getting my Winston Churchill At War DVD Collection commercials and Lesley Gore recommendations instead?

Last edited:

ABQ

I'm glad you said that. I've been getting non-stop YouTube ads for The Marvels for the past week, and now also Wish for the past 2 days. And I'm an older gentleman who never watches family YouTube shows, with an established algorithm full of European cuisine cooking shows, Winston Churchill war documentaries, and Naval warfare fan videos. With an occasional musical selection from Lesley Gore, The Supremes or Dusty Springfield.
Thankfully my android TV app blocks all the You Tube ads, but I did see a Marvels and Wish ad on the boards during the Avs/Blackhawks game last night. Which was an ESPN broadcast, so no surprise really.

Vegas Disney Fan

Ad algorithms add a new level to advertising, there’s a lot of movies I never see a single ad for anymore, is that because they aren’t advertising or they just aren’t advertising to people with viewing habits like me?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom